Co-opted to make 24 scones - aaargh!

Page 3 / 4
mazzy1, Oct 31, 2:10am
Then I guess we all start arguing about whether one should use strawberry or raspberry jam next.

elliehen, Oct 31, 2:45am
.or just presenting our diverse views and hoping that a bunfight doesn't ensue ;)

mazzy1, Oct 31, 3:08am
ha ha - true dat! Oh well, the Impossible Scones recipe was fabulous, I'm proud to say. And I'll kick off the first of the diverse views with RASPBERRY!

kinna54, Oct 31, 3:17am
Luv it! oh poor Maz, you will be wishing you'd never been co-opted.
Yow will be SO OVER scones! Anyway even tho devonshire is traditionally strawberry jam, I loathe strawberry jam, my choice would be boysenberry or 3 berry. or dare I say it even plum!
Now let's watch this space!

kuaka, Oct 31, 3:37am
and clotted cream of course!

elliehen, Oct 31, 3:45am
Well done!And my vote is for raspberry too, especially a local Nelson brand called Pope's which is still made in a pot on a stove with a person stirring it.

They used to make it under the brand name Anathoth but sold the company before beginning again from scratch.Pope's is as close as you'll get to your own home-made raspberry jam.

rainrain1, Oct 31, 4:36am
Raspberry for sure me darlin'

mazzy1, Oct 31, 4:38am
You are SO right, kinna. The market day is on 13 November so I'm glad I got the practice out of the way. I don't even LIKE scones! Then I don't need to see another one for another 10 years. OOh - plum jam. I like the sound of that personally, but fear it could be a tad controversial. lol.

mazzy1, Oct 31, 4:39am
heh heh - that gets my vote!

elliehen, Oct 31, 4:41am
A tart plum jam is fabulous.Who is going to eat up all these practice scones!

mazzy1, Oct 31, 4:52am
My husband has had three, I had one and the lucky little Central Otago birds are in for a right old feast!

lodgelocum, Oct 31, 5:13am
Love plum jam and then apricot jam (but hate fresh apricots) lol.Picked 3 kilos of strawberries yesterday so thinking of making jam, for the first time either.

parkview1, Oct 31, 5:41am
The best result is by using half hot water and half milk together with a dash of lemon juice. Leave them about inch and half high.Works a treat for nice moist scones.

carter19, Nov 1, 2:00am
Grandad used to love telling stories about myy aunt who is now 85 . The first scones she made after she got married were for her parents on their first visit to aunties new home. The scones were so hard, Garnadad nailed them to the fence and even the birds wouldn't eat them!

hezwez, Nov 1, 5:34am
That's like the story of my aunt's failed choc cake, thrown to the birds because the family refused to eat it, only to be still on the lawn the following day with a hedgehog, toes turned up, next to it!

seniorbones, Nov 1, 6:10am
I would have made cheese scones! they can be as wet as you like and just drop them on the tray with a spoon much easier and no fluffig patting cutting shapping to do,Annabeil Langbeins recipe for scones is devine, bought some rocket today to make for morning tea tomorrow, last time I made them with spinach because I didnt have rocket.

mazzy1, Nov 1, 6:24am
That sounds great! I'll have to google it for next time; there's plenty of rocket in the garden to use up.

bev00, Feb 23, 12:49pm
great tips for perfecting scones

claudds, Feb 23, 10:23pm
soundslikemysconesarenottheonlyonesthatdontturn
outright.mydarlingsonopensthebackdoorandsaysthey
makegreathandgrenades.dontthinktheforceswouldaccept
theseastheywouldonlybeanygoodfortargetpractise. atleast
i canlaughaboutit.cheerseveryone.

bev00, Feb 29, 11:09am
APRICOT CINNAMON SCONE ROUND
225g self raising flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
50g butter
50g sultanas
25g castor sugar
150ml milk
2 TBLSP apricot jam
1 TBLSP brown sugar
Egg for glazing

Sift flour with salt & cinnamon into bowl, add butter cut into small pieces and rub in, stir in sultanas & castor sugar. Mixing with a fork add enough milk to make a soft dough, knead gently on lightly floured surface. Cut off half the dough, roll into a round about 12mm thick and put on baking tray, spread this round with jam leaving the edges clear, then sprinkle on brown sugar. Roll the remaining dough to a round the same size, damp the edges of both rounds, cover the jam with the second round and press the edges together. Mark into 8 wedges with a sharp knife. Brush the top with beaten egg. Bake 220C about 20 min until risen and golden, cool on rack

Quotesooseque (669 )8:28 am, Wed 29 Feb

nik12, Mar 1, 8:47am
I'm a piklet maker, always struggled with scones! I found the lemonade recipe great, and the idiot proof one really quite delicious.
We used to do a plunket fundraiser and part of that was scones that needed to be made by Vol's in the area (to serve to people on a kitchen garden tour).They were all given the lemonade one, (including me 10 years ago!) so I'd guess it really is a pretty fool proof one. Never any complaints the 4 years I helped with that. actually lots of compliments.

wendalls, Mar 1, 9:39am
Edmonds recipe for me. Basic ingredients, never failed.no faffing with the recipe just follow it making sure the butter is soft enough to crumble into the flour and is all rubbed in with your fingers evenly. Add dates or sultanas, dont over mix and yummo!

mazzy1, Oct 30, 1:54am
My mother had the most perfect, light, fluffy scones this side of the black stump. Unfortunately I haven't inherited the scone DNA. I swear the ones I have made in the past could have been used for hockey pucks or chocks at the Aero Club. Now I have been volunteered (thanks, darling) to make two dozen for a Devonshire Tea. Gulp. There goes my social standing in the community. lol.Any tips! And are they able to be made the day before!

kinna54, Oct 30, 2:03am
Make them fresh on the day.
I just use the Edmonds book guide.
Standard rule is 1 cup flour to 2 tsps baking powder.
Always mix with a knife.
I prefer to use marg to make scones, but if using butter grate it in, or melt it, and add with the milk mixing with a knife, no over mixing.
Preheat oven 220c but put scones on a cold floured tray, then into the pre-heated oven.
I haven't inherited the scone DNA either but find by melting the butter/marg, or grating and rubbing in, the mix is more easily combined and not as tough. good luck!
PS keep the mix quite wet/sticky,rather than on the dry floury side.

rainrain1, Oct 30, 5:35am
felt good though,lol

and i just want to add, in case I get voted off for this, it was worth it !