Co-opted to make 24 scones - aaargh!

Page 2 / 4
rainrain1, Oct 30, 5:35am
felt good though,lol

elliehen, Oct 30, 5:52am
I'm sorry a post like that gives you good feelings, rainrain.

I usually find your own posts good value for their cooking hints and their humour.

margyr, Oct 30, 5:53am
I would be inclined to gently roll scone mix into a sausage shape and then slice off your scones about 1 and half inches each one, then pat them into a nice circle shape and place on a floured tray, put them fairly close together and then the sides wont over cook, you can pull them apart gently when cooked. Make the sausage shape about the same size as you want the scone and put the cut edge down on the tray.

elliehen, Oct 30, 5:58am
Thank you mazzy.I've baked for farm workers and the ones I cooked for didn't like their baking too small and dainty.

It was an honest observation from experience.

splitty, Oct 30, 6:44am
That's a good idea margy, I have some tips from alison holst. She says to use high grade flour, cook in a hot oven, scones like to be close together when cooking them, and, if you have one, measure the dry ingedients into a food processor and cut in the cubes of butter, then transfer mixture to a bowl and add the milk. In the food processor the butter stays nice and cold. I can post her recipe if you want it

kinna54, Oct 30, 6:48am
Bit uncalled for don't you think! Are you having a bad day! goodness me. you asked for the clarification and she answered. For heaven's sake back to the topic, we all have a right to an opinion, and there was nothing offensive said!
Good luck with your scones OP.

rainrain1, Oct 30, 6:56am
I like to make my scones quite high before cooking, whether it be for a dainty afternoon tea party, or 'hulking great shearers' whom are often quite slight actually.so less is more in the end.It's the way I always do them

kuaka, Oct 30, 7:05am
Yes you can - I have!

skippie1, Oct 30, 7:07am
Elliehen I cut mine like you do, put the dough like a slab on the tray and cut into 12, never had any complaints that they were to big, you can always eat only a top or bottom part.Yum scones, haven't had any in a while, busy baking bread at the moment.

music_note, Oct 30, 10:09am
After a few decades of not-great scones, I use the lemonade scone recipe - with the amendment of using milk instead of the cream. There seems to be a few variations - this is the one I use -
Preheat oven to 200C. Into large bowl sift 3c flour, 4 (four) tsp baking powder, pinch salt. Mix together 1/2 c lemonade & 1/2 cup milk. With knife, mix into dry ingredients till just blended.
I tip the mix onto baking paper lined oven tray. Press out with two knives till as thick as wanted, making sure thickness is even. Mark out into shapes, bake till golden and cool on a wire rack - cover with a tea-towel till cool. They'll pull-apart at the parts where you cut them.

wheelz, Oct 30, 7:48pm
I dislike the idiot scones and lemonade ones as well. not a true scone at all, in texture or taste ! If you use buttermilk, keep the dough soft and moist, rather than dry, handle little and pat out to 1 1/2 inch high, they will be light .

lodgelocum, Oct 30, 9:22pm
I use half milk, half water for my liquid, and they always seem to turn out well.I normally do squares as a general rule, but small round scones for a dainty morning/afternoon tea.

sarahb5, Oct 30, 9:41pm
You sound like me and my mum - she makes the best scones and quicker than you can assemble the ingredients to be honest and I think that's the key - she does them really quickly, doesn't play around with them too much, just gets everything together and into the oven - I swear she can make a batch of scones quicker than I can eat one!I have got better as I've got older and less "careful" but I still reckon the lemonade scone recipe is the one that works best for me.

aroma1, Oct 30, 9:47pm
just self raising flour and lemonade.Mix quickly as froths up.roll out without too much handling.12 mins in a very hot oven.Perfect,haven't failed yet.Good luck.

aroma1, Oct 30, 9:49pm
they need to be eaten straight away.u can reheat in microwave next day to refreshen.But just cooked is best.

connor2003, Oct 30, 10:25pm
I'm sorry ladies, but the recipe I've found for perfect scones is - 3c self-raising flour, 2 eggs and water to bind.No butter or milk as the milk makes them heavy.Cook as for normal scones.

sarahb5, Oct 30, 11:25pm
This is getting like the aioli and authenticity threads .

elliehen, Oct 30, 11:29pm
There's room for every kind of scone and every kind of cook here.That's the point of a forum.

mazzy1, Oct 31, 12:48am
I was just looking sideways at a bottle of Elderflower cordial on the bench top. That could be nicer than lemonade, perhaps!

mazzy1, Oct 31, 12:49am
Anyway - wish me luck, ppl. I have just put the oven on, done some deep breathing and stretches, meditated for 3 minutes and I'm going in. See you on the other side. lol.

mazzy1, Oct 31, 1:18am
well they ain't pretty, but they're in the oven. *drums fingers on bench* I tried the Edmonds recipe but they seemed a bit dry and crumbly, even using the maximum milk 1 1/2 cups. If it all goes pear-shaped I'll try the Impossible scone recipe. If that fails I will co-opt some other poor sucker to make the damn things.

mazzy1, Oct 31, 1:36am
So - all a bit ho-hum, although they were edible for the first time ever. I'll have to buy my own flour mill at this rate! I'll try the impossible scones next.

sarahb5, Oct 31, 1:53am
Too crumbly I think is the result of too much flour.According to my mum it's better to use high grade flour and baking powder instead of SR flour.And make sure your baking powder isn't too old as well.

elliehen, Oct 31, 1:55am
SR flour in scones leaves a furry metallic after-taste in the mouth.

mazzy1, Oct 31, 2:08am
Yuck! I have a batch of Impossible scones in now and have just used High Grade flour. They look a bit better, although I just took them out after 10 minutes and one seemed a bit doughy still, so back for another 5 mins. Oh god! The pressure!