Condensed milk salad dressing! Help

Page 2 / 2
elliehen, Oct 24, 8:51am
'A bit strange' because you're 'not from here' nfh1 ;)

Condensed Milk salad dressing is one of those wonderful mid-century mysteries of New Zealand cuisine.I am sure there are some equally unusual Lancashire recipes beloved of your countymen and women.

Find one for us :)

nfh1, Oct 24, 9:00am
Ye Olde Lancastrian Fayre is without compare.

We have Tripe and Onions, Cow Heel Pie, Potted Shrimps, Old Wives Sod, Black Pudding but the top of the pops just has to be Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas!

All gradely stuff from a Lanky Lass.

timetable, Oct 24, 9:01am
.-

elliehen, Oct 24, 9:07am
Cheers!I'll stay with the fush'n'chups ;)

nfh1, Oct 24, 9:10am
Would you have potted shrimps here elliehen!

I don't blame you for sticking to F & C - hard to beat!

elliehen, Oct 24, 9:12am
Another mid-century delight was Salisbury salmon and shrimp paste for sandwiches.there are advertisements in old cookery books.

nfh1, Oct 24, 9:13am
I might just give that a miss I think!

elliehen, Oct 24, 9:15am
People saved the shapely glass jars for little vases and they're collectable now.

nfh1, Oct 24, 9:19am
So funny what ends up collectable.I saw Marcus Lush talking about people collecting cups which people had tea in on the railways.

justiyah, Oct 24, 6:28am
how long dose the condensed mayo last for!

kay141, Oct 24, 6:49am
I make the full amount and keep it in a large jar in the fridge. It gets very thick so is diluted when needed. There is only me and, I don't always have use that sort of dressing, I find it keeps all summer.

korbo, Oct 24, 7:17am
what are potted shrimps.
love the paste in the little jars.

nfh1, Oct 24, 10:08am
Potted shrimps are a Lancashire speciality!Think it originates in Southport or Morecambe, seaside towns on West coast of England.It is shrimps cooked with mace or nutmeg in butter.Then cooled in fridge with butter poured on top, which sets.I am assured they are lovely, but I do not like butter so have never tried them!They are sold on stalls on the sea front.

thewomble1, Oct 24, 2:18pm
If it gets too thick just add some milk and stir,
I love deep fried chips with this salad dressing.

guest, Jan 11, 6:18am
I had no idea how to approach this befero-now I'm locked and loaded.

guest, Jan 13, 1:10pm
Hey, you're the goto exetrp. Thanks for hanging out here.

guest, Jan 14, 9:49am
This is just the perceft answer for all of us