Luscious lemon recipes please

Page 2 / 2
buzzy110, Oct 25, 9:31pm
Preserved lemons. Once preserved lemons can be used in all sorts of meat and savoury dishes, especially what we call stews and casseroles.

There is not recipe as such but you require:
1.A good sized jar - one that will fit in your fridge with a tight fitting lid
2. Sea salt - or salt without added iodine - preferably pouring size grains
3. Lots of lemons

Method:
1. Slice lemons. There are several ways you can slice the lemons:
a. Leave them whole but cut down to the centre on one side, flip over and do a ¼ turn down to the middle
b. I just cut mine into ¼s.
2. Sprinkle enough lemons to go in the bottom of the jar with a good amount of salt and layer in the bottom of the jar. Keep doing this till your jar is full. Squash them in if you like. It makes no difference.
3. Squeeze some lemon juice in as you go.
4. Put a layer of salt on the top layer and fill any space that remains on the top with either lemon juice or water.
5. Seal jar and leave jar on the bench, in an ice cream container or something that will catch juices as they spill over, out of the sun, to ferment for 3 days.
6. Put the jar and the washed out ice cream container in the fridge. Leave for a few more weeks. Shake once or twice if you like to make sure the salt is dissolved.
7. Start adding to soups and stews, rice and potato salads, cous cous. When cooking with them scrape out the flesh. You can throw that away but I just rub the softened, mushy flesh onto my meat after I have browned it. Slice the skin into strips and put it into the meat, along with all the other things you add to your stews and casseroles and cook.

I love it rubbed over roasts before they go into the oven, along with any seasonings and spices. Their use is only limited by your imagination really.

When adding it to salads, don't use the flesh. Save that for cooking.

The lemons go soft and sometimes there will be a white "bloom" on top of the liquid and any lemons that stick out of the liquid, as you use them. This is not toxic or harmful. Just spoon it off with a teaspoon and carry on.
Will last for several years.

Preserved lemons are usually used in Moroccan and other North African cuisine.

rss9, Oct 26, 6:39am
Sticky Lemon Slice.yummmmmmmy
Base: 225g softened Butter
Half cup icing sugar
One n half cups plain flour
Cream together the butter and the icing sugar. then add the flour. Spread
into a sponge roll tin lined with baking
paper or non stick liner, and bake for 15 mins at 170 celius (325 F)
TOPPING;
rind of two lemons
one and half cups caster sugar
4 Eggs
Quarter cup flour
1 teasp baking powder
Quarter cup lemon juice
I do this in food processor. peel the lemonwith a potato peler,
then chop the rind very finely with the sugar using the metal
chopping blade.
Add the eggs, and processagain until well mixed then add
the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
POUR this mixture over the partly cooked base, and bake at 170 c for another 30 minutes
Dust with icing sugar. then ENJOY
This is really YUMMY and will not last long
Cheers

gardie, Oct 26, 7:16am
Just made this - slightly different quantities but the same basic recipe.I don't cream butter and icing sugar at the begginning though - I just shove the whole lot (softened butter) into the Kenwood and let it mix altogether - same with the 2nd lot.Soooo easy.Hardest part is juicing and zesting the lemons - mine has 3(and I made a double batch!)

rasin11, Oct 27, 8:18am
Where do I find thecooksessential lemon yoghurt cake please!.

petalb1, Oct 29, 6:20am
My tree is also bursting with lemons & I came across this recipe recently.It's so easy & absolutely delicious!

Lemon Yoghurt Cake
Grate peel of 2 big lemons.Beat this with:
1 cup oil (I use rice bran but any cooking oil is fine)
2 eggs &
1 3/4 cups sugar
Add 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup yoghurt (plain)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups of flour & 2 teaspoons baking powder (self raising flour works fine)

Bake 180c for 40-60 mins or until cooked.Needs large, oiled tin (I line my with baking paper & this works fine).When cool dust with icing sugar.

hunter246, Oct 30, 9:08pm
Made this one on the weekend - absolutely delicious!Especially slightly warmed with a bif dollop of just whipped cream mmmmm

buzzy110, Oct 31, 12:44am
Lemon Tart: I use Jamie Oliver's Lemon and Lime tart and just replace the lime juice with lemon juice.

Lemon & Lime Cream Tart

1 tart shell, baked blind (For his tart egg wash before blind baking!)
340g caster sugar
8 large eggs
350ml double cream
200ml lime juice
100ml lemon juice

Egg wash your tart shell, then blind bake. This will keep the pastry crisp for longer.

Whisk together the sugar & eggs. When mixed well, slowly stir in the cream, lemon & lime juices. Put the shell back in the oven & slowly pour in the filling (this will reduce spillage). Bake for around 40-45 minutes at 180c or until the filling is set but semi wobbly in the middle. After cooling for an hour the filling will have firmed up. Don’t cut any earlier or it will be gooey & ooze out. If preferred dust with icing sugar to serve. Serve with fresh berries.

eastie3, Oct 31, 1:09am
Thanks for sharing this recipe,it sounds delicious.

ruby2shoes, Oct 31, 1:11am
I second this one - put sweet berries, like strawberries on it.tis gorgeous!

rasin11, Nov 24, 5:34am
Many thanks
Will try it as soon as I have a moment

katienz11, Nov 24, 9:38am
I found this recipe for Lemon Delicious Slice on the net somewhere.I made it 1 1/2 times bigger, and it turned about absolutely great!

Ingredients
•150g unsalted butter, chopped
•1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
•1/3 cup caster sugar
•1 tablespoon cornflour
•1 1/3 cups plain flour
•Icing sugar mixture, to serve

Lemon topping
•4 eggs
•1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
•1/3 cup plain flour
•1 1/3 cups caster sugar
•2/3 cup lemon juice

Method
1.Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 16cm x 26cm slice pan. Line with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang on all sides.

2.Place butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on MEDIUM (50%) for 1 minute or until melted. Set aside to cool. Stir in vanilla and sugar. Sift flours over butter mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir until a soft dough forms. Transfer to prepared pan. Press into pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven. Set aside to cool.

3.Make topping Whisk eggs, lemon rind, flour and sugar together until smooth. Add lemon juice. Whisk to combine. Pour over base. Bake for 15 minutes or until just set. Cool completely in pan. Dust with icing sugar. Cut into pieces. Serve.

punkinthefirst, Nov 25, 7:09am
If the recipe allows it, instead of zesting lemons, which is a pain, I peel the lemons thinly, and put the peel into my kitchen whizz with some of the sugar from the recipe. Whiz til the sugar is yellow and all the peel is finely chopped then use in the recipe.

lythande1, Nov 25, 7:42am
No, this lemon cake:
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/333376

Using the zest and juice of course.

keysie, Nov 26, 11:44pm
Made this today, doubled the icing. Really easy and tasty. Used the other half of condensed milk to make fudge. Might need to loosen belt this week.

flower-child01, Dec 17, 9:32pm
All my recipes containing lemons http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/!s=lemon

elliehen, Jan 16, 4:54am
Bumping for Post # 16 - the genuine original post on Preserving Lemons, along with a few other ideas on using an excess of lemons.

purplegoanna, Aug 22, 10:57pm
Luscious Lemon Slice gets my vote every time.i cant stop eating it! http://www.insanitytheory.net/kitchenwench/luscious-lemon-slices/

ams7, Sep 15, 6:52pm
Thanks for the recipes, I'm off to make Cook Essentials Lemon & Yoghurt cake now.Have a look at www.taste.com.au and you can put lemon in to find loads of recipes.

lythande1, Nov 25, 7:42am
No, this lemon cake:
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/333376

Using the zest and juice of course.

flower-child01, Dec 17, 9:32pm
All my recipes containing lemons http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/!s=lemon