Lemon barley concentrate alison holst recipe

pam.delilah, Jul 6, 10:29pm
has anyone got this recipe , please.
I have a lot of lemon and want to make this lovely winter drink

winnie231, Jul 6, 10:41pm
This one was posted by juliewn on the old trademe cooks recipe site ...
it's not necessarily Alison Holst's one but might do :)

Lemon & Barley Water
1 cup pearl barley, 3 litres water, 4 lemon's, 4 cups sugar. Place the barley in a saucepan with the water. Finely peel the skin from the lemons with a vege peeler, and add to the barley mix. Bring to a boil and simmer for one hour. Strain through a sieve. Return the liquid to the pot, and add the sugar and the juice from the lemons. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Cool and place into a bottle (a 3 litre juice bottle is fine) and chill. To use, pour some into a glass, and add water, soda water or lemonade to your taste... and enjoy.. posted by juliewn

pam.delilah, Jul 6, 10:58pm
thhaks winnie 231, just the type of recipe I am looking for. Off to get the barley

eljayv, Jul 7, 12:00am
I have been making Lemon and Barley waterbut just for drinking without diluting.I just pour boiling water over a cup of barley to rinse it then drain and put in pot with2ltrs water and boil for just 15 - 20 minutes, strain and add lemon (about 5-6) and sugar(about 1/2 cup) to taste, refrigerate.It is a lovely drink even when still warm.I will try the one above though.It is so simple and barley is very cheap so an inexpensive drink.