Ginger beer recipe ;alison holst

terk, Jan 21, 6:49pm
does any kind soul have a copy of this recipe at all.It apparently came from one of her series for children.you mixed the brew in a bucket -bottled it and left it for a week.very potent fizz to it from memory.
Ive looked for mine but cant find it.cheers.It does not require a bug!

mjhdeal, Jan 21, 7:30pm
I found this on the internet, says its the Alison Holst one :)
"1 tsp dried yeast granules
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup warm water
Stir these ingrediants together in a glass and leave in a warm place.

2 cups sugar
1 Tblsp ground ginger
1 tsp lemon essence
1 tsp tartaric acid
2 litres hot water
2 litres cold water
Measure sugar,ginger,lemon ess and tartaric acid into a clean bucket. Pour in hot water and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the cold water to cool the mixture down.
When liquid is no hotter than luke warm, add the bubbling yeast. Leave in the lightly covered bucket for 24-36 hours, then strain (equally) into four 1.25 litre plastic drink bottles. Fill each bottle up to within 3 cm of top with extra cold water. Add 1 tsp sugar into each bottle and screw on the lids. Shake to dissolve sugar. Leave to stand in a warm place until the bottles are rigid when you try and squeeze them. Refridgerate before removing the lids (slowly and carefully). Drink all of the brew within 3-4 weeks. "

mjhdeal, Jan 21, 7:33pm

terk, Jan 21, 11:17pm
#2 thanks a million -it sounds very familiar,now lets go make a mess.
cheers

ladeda, Feb 18, 1:07am
Does anyone know if it is possible to make low sugar ginger beer? I know you need the sugar to work the yeast, but could you substitute the 2 cups of sugar with splenda?

Type 1 in the family so want to avoid sugary drinks but used to love making ginger beer...