Looking for a Pavlova Plate

basenjibabe, Oct 19, 3:41am
My gorgeous pavlova plate broke a wee while ago and I haven't been able to find another one. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get an ovenproof pavlova plate! It's the sort that you cook the pavlova on, then serve off it. The one i had that broke was an engagement gift many years ago, so i have no idea where it came from.
Cheers

rotamad3, Oct 19, 3:44am
What about the glass turn table off an old microwave.

basenjibabe, Oct 19, 3:49am
I guess that would work! Never really thought about using one of them.
Now to see if I can find one on TM without having to buy the whole microwave!

magenta, Oct 19, 3:53am
If you have a charity shop near you they often have old microwave plates. I use these for my pavlovas although I dont cook the pavlova on them

gilligee, Oct 19, 4:49am
Recycling Centres at the dump have lots.

kinna54, Oct 19, 5:15am
I have one if you are interested.

kinna54, Oct 19, 5:24am
oops sorry I will have to retract that. I just had a look at it, and it is damaged, tiny chip, but wouldn't be happy to trade it in that condition.
Also I wonder how steady that would be as it has a lip in the centre that fits onto the microwave!
I have a large pizza type non stick platter that I bought from Briscoes a long time ago, maybe something like that would be more suitable, havea look there, or at Stevens. Good luck!

sclaredy_cat, Oct 19, 7:55pm
I thought I was the only one that baked it straight on the plate - people always ask how I manage to get it off the tray in one piece! I use a microwave turntable plate, as others also suggested. I have a couple, picked them up from the sallies for a couple of dollars.

malcovy, Oct 19, 11:14pm
I cook my pav at 150C and then down to 130 to 120C as soon as pav goes in and can a microwave plate be used in actual oven!It looks like it can but I would like someone who has used it in oven to confirm and if so Sallies here I come.

sclaredy_cat, Oct 19, 11:23pm
Yes it works absolutely fine in an oven. Mine goes in at 150 and down to 95. Most people don't even realise its a microwave plate - it just looks like a nice big glass platter!
Edited to add after seeing the comment above about the stableness - make sure the one you buy sits flat. I bought one that had only bumps in the centre so it would be very wobbly! The one I use all the time (and have been doing this for years BTW) has three or four small feet at the edges so its completely fine. I will never bake one on a tray again, remembering all the times they disintegrated somewhere midair when trying to transfer them onto the plate ;)

malcovy, Oct 19, 11:25pm
Thanks for the quick answer.Fantastic and our local Sallies had quite a few and if not I will try Hospice.
Edited to add, I have a new recipe that is high with furrows up side and I have tried this before and looks great until I have to move it.I have taken note of what type to buy.This xmas I will be topping with cream, turkish delight and pistachios.

sclaredy_cat, Oct 19, 11:47pm
Sounds yum.you might have to buy a couple in different sizes now :)

basenjibabe, Oct 20, 3:04am
Thanks for the posts people. The recipe I have says to preheat oven to 200C then drop to 125C when the pav goes in.
The plate i had was gorgeous! It had the recipe on it as well, so i had to write it on paper before throwing the plate out.
I had a look in Briscoes but nothing there. Wasn't anything on the Stevens website either. Might have to look in Ballantynes and a couple of other special shops we have in Timaru.

bill241, Oct 20, 7:59am
http://www.maxwellandwilliams.com.au/mw/maxwell-williams-dinnerware-servingware-platters-bowls-white-basics-pavlova-z904.asp

Places like Ballantynes etc that sell this Maxwell and Williams stuff could order this in for you maybe!
This brand is always the one I look up when I'm after a specific thing because they do pretty much everything

grannypam, Oct 20, 8:02am
I have a collection of old microwave plates in various sizes. most cost me $1 or $2 . I only ever make pavlovas on them now.

kinna54, Oct 20, 8:19am
Gosh that sounds an unusual temp. Are You sure that is C! celcius not F farenheit. Would be intrested to read your recipe, if you wouldn't mind posting it please.
Mine is cooked at 100-110C for 1-1 1/2 hrs.
Hope you have luck in finding your plate.

bill241, Oct 20, 9:16am
I put mine in at a high temperature and then drop it down too, I don't know what it is supposed to achieve but it seems to work.

duckmoon, Oct 20, 9:29am
I have a new idea. goes to buy a microwave tray.

malcovy, Oct 20, 11:05pm
I picked up a microwave plate for 50 cents from Hospice which I am completely happy with.I am so pleased the clever clogs who suggested this, no more broken pavlova.

roundtop, Oct 22, 7:46am
i got one at a garage sale