The Un-Authentic Recipe Thread

Page 3 / 14
evorotorua, Sep 20, 8:40am
I am laughing to myself about all these comments. Is it still genuinely "laughing" if you don't make the sound out loud! That's what I am doing. The others in this house are watching TV. We have one of those here. Coz we are baaaaad!

waswoods, Sep 20, 8:41am
I don't peel the potatoes when I make mashed potatoes and I use packet gravy

And I seldom post in recipes

sarahb5, Sep 20, 8:41am
Not one of mine because I'm a purist but slices of sausage in a toad in the hole with cherry tomatoes in it too .

elliehen, Sep 20, 8:50am
Is that an un-authentic Toad-in-the-Hole you're reluctantly confessing to!

wak, Sep 20, 8:55am
whats 'wrong' with condensed milk!

sossie1, Sep 20, 8:57am
abso-fricken-lutely nothing

thats the point of this thread

sarahb5, Sep 20, 8:58am
Nope - can't imagine my kids would eat it like that.Also the sausage slices were browned in a pan before putting in the dish with the Yorkshire pudding batter but I wonder how well it puffed up because the pan wasn't hot when the batter went into it

sossie1, Sep 20, 8:58am
another "heathen"

welcome to the club

sarahb5, Sep 20, 8:59am
Not my recipe - I'm a purist (check the "infamous" garlicky yoghurt dressing thread .)

elliehen, Sep 20, 9:06am
Infidel!

jessie981, Sep 20, 9:09am
Pkt gravy here too.

samanya, Sep 20, 9:09am
I'm loving this thread, almost makes my style of cooking feel "normal'!

sossie1, Sep 20, 9:09am
i have a confession as the OP.

I made pancake batter with powdered milk.

elliehen, Sep 20, 9:18am
I think that might be a forked tongue firmly in that cheek ;)

I do not believe this person has actually baked a pizza base with sweetened condensed milk.but I know she loves Condensed Milk Mayonnaise, so I will give her the benefit of the doubt.

samanya, Sep 20, 9:22am
Powdered milk.shock horror!
You mean to say that you don't have a cow in your yard!

pom-pom, Sep 20, 9:27am
OK I confess the chilli was just yesterday's spag bol sauce with a can of chick peas (hate kidney beans) and an El Paso taco seasoning mix thrown in. I chopped up some green herbs on top to make it look flash, but it was dark in the garden when I picked it and hell I could've snipped up blades of grass and the rest of them wouldn't have noticed!

sossie1, Sep 20, 9:33am
snort, I believe I may have done the same thing, after a bottle of (un-authentic style champagne) Lindauer

elliehen, Sep 20, 9:41am
I couldn't bear to let VK's recipe disappear down the tubes, so I've brought it across to its natural home.I'm sure she'll approve and will have more to add :)

esther-anne, Sep 20, 10:32am
Hell I haven't had a belly laugh like this for yonks-who'd have thought there are so many rebels amongst the most precious 'purists'!

Psst-edited twice cos I can't spell tonight - the very night on which I used a jar of 'chicken tonight' and served with Edgells "minted tiny taters"-and pretended they were my first crop of Jersey Bennes!

elliehen, Sep 20, 10:46am
Well done, esther-anne!You're in good company.There might be an imposter or two, but who cares!

elliehen, Sep 20, 10:54am
'The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.'
~Calvin Trillin, US columnist

rainrain1, Sep 20, 7:56pm
who said they were family !

cookessentials, Sep 20, 9:17pm
Yes, me too.its lovely. You can make your own mousse, or you can use the Tararua readymade whip it yoursef stuff.OR.if you cant find that, you can use chocloate vigeur at a pinch.

mazzy1, Sep 20, 9:48pm
In breaking news, Mazzy pleads guilty to a major culinary transgression by OVERCOOKING MEAT. Not for her the Steak Tartare or rare wafer-thin tuna slices. Not for her the bleeding steak still twitching on the plate. Just because it's TRENDY! Hell no - I want some charring baby! Give me colour. Never black or on fire, but COOKED.

sossie1, Sep 20, 9:58pm
lol, no-one said you have to like it rare. personally i like it med-rare, but i will still eat a charred one, nom nom nom. Especially charred strips of FAT. nasty tasty fat.

Funny story tho, we were at a work BBQ a few years ago, and the boss brought out a whole tray of gorgeous looking lamb chops. Stuck em on the bbq, while we drank and drooled at the smell of sizzling meat and fat. Then he turned them over, perfectly cooked on one side, and we were thinking, yummo.
Then he turned them over again.
and again
and again.

The guys who worked for him kept making little comments like, they look just about ready, should i get you a plate to put them on, but the boss just kept turning them over and over. The guys eventually all wandered over to the bbq, and you could see them politely trying to get the boss to stop cooking them.