The Un-Authentic Recipe Thread

Page 2 / 14
jessie981, Sep 20, 6:40am
Pumpkin in with mashed potatoes. Tell the grandies it's golden potatoes.
Use Maggi pkts for Curried sausages, Nachos, Spaghetti Bog etc
Going to bake a Pav tomorrow night from Edmonds Pavlova Magic - all I add is sugar & water.

mazzy1, Sep 20, 6:43am
Evorotorua - you can do NO wrong in my eyes; you gave me the best ever recipe for Chocolate Yoghurt cake that I have made about a dozen times, and that people RAVE about! Wuv you! xxx

mazzy1, Sep 20, 6:43am
gasp! this is GREAT!

knowsley, Sep 20, 6:48am
I make Butter Chicken without butter.

elliehen, Sep 20, 6:54am
You do realise we are probably all going to Hell!

puss..in..boots, Sep 20, 6:55am
Once I put a can of spaghetti on my kid's pizza, so not only was it so far removed from Italy that it was in Antarctica - it was also nutritionally inexcusable.

sossie1, Sep 20, 7:13am
GUYS, i didn't realise I wasproviding a safe haven for all you "Impurist" chefs out there!

lets keep at it.

You know, the only "real" food, in my humble opinion, is the ability to cook a damn meal with stuff you have in the fridge.

HOOORAHH!

lurtz, Sep 20, 7:18am
I make recipes up sometimes.( Deep shame.)
Sometimes they are great, and sometimes not. Isn't experimenting the way new recipes evolve!Hasn't that happened over the centuries! Isn't that old saying that "variety is the spice of life" not true!

lurtz, Sep 20, 7:19am
Ahem. I make 'rice' out of cauliflower.

sossie1, Sep 20, 7:27am
Gawd, imagine if the whole "purist" way was still the right way.

At some stage in history, someone added fried bananas to pancakes, bacon, and maple syrup.

rainrain1, Sep 20, 7:29am
At lunchtimes I whip the plates away from under their noses almost before they are finished so I can get cleaned up and out of the dam kitchen.I hover till the table is clear hee hee

sossie1, Sep 20, 7:37am
AND THAT, ladies, is the essence of cooking. A woman feeding her family.

rosewildvinyl, Sep 20, 7:51am
Ditto HOOORAHH!
To my shame tonights dinner is chicken pie [with home made pastry, but I didn't have to milk the cow & churn the butter first] - all from leftovers & plenty of carbs & all the 'BAD' things & it was delicious & I'm healthily happy -not a miserable *****. & tomorrow I can diet [& maybe the next day too]

lx4000, Sep 20, 7:58am
heres a sin for me! Fried up some sausages (our pig) with onions, added chopped carrot and water. Waiting now to add peas and corn along with bistro (sp) gravy mix!lol I hate packet lazy meal things! served with broc and kurmua(sp). Me, I will have complan, sperilena(sp), water and banana shake for tea as me vegie. shhhhhhh don't tell anyone! This is a deadly sin in this house hold!

buzzy110, Sep 20, 8:00am
Tee hee. I think this thread is wonderful. It is wonderful to see you all have a wonderful sense of wonderful humour which has been so sadly lacking. I too have many wonderful un-authentic recipes using sweetened condensed milk.

Sweetened condensed milk is the most wonderful ingredient for everyone wanting to make un-authentic recipes.

May I just say that you can use this ingredient in scone dough to make your wonderful un-authentic pizza.

And like elli says, this is also the first thread that I have feltcompletely safe in. I'm sure that my friends who love the myriad of things that can be made with sweetened condensed milk will have the same wonderful sense of safety and security and will feel free to post without any rancour from others.

sossie1, Sep 20, 8:09am
how can you make caramel slice without the EVILNESS of sweetened condensed milk.

(not to mention the evilness of sticking your finger in the almost empty tin and sucking on the pure abomination of sugary goodness)

PS i don't think I am ever going to be thin

evorotorua, Sep 20, 8:12am
Wow, fan mail! Thanks Mazzy. That recipe is great. I make it alot too. You don't need to have exactly the right ingredients and even though it is a banana chocolate yogurt cake, I have been know to leave out the bananas and use peaches instead. I survived and still called it a banana chocolateyogurt cake but added the fact it had no bananas and was laced with peaches. Nobody was hurt in the production or eating of this cake. It has also been made in muffin tins or a loaf tin and the name slightly modified to suit if it was deemed important enough. However no one seemed to care whether it was really a cake or a loaf or a muffin. It has even been made using two tins and then we simply called them . (wait for it).cakes.

buzzy110, Sep 20, 8:14am
Oh it is so evil to keep the tin all to yourself. I think that less should be used in the recipe so that more can be saved to share around the family.

sossie1, Sep 20, 8:14am
I repeat, you are baaaaaaaaad! lol

buzzy110, Sep 20, 8:16am
You could consider putting a huge dash of SWCM in your gwockamoly. It would send it into gourmet territory imo.

herself, Sep 20, 8:22am
Oh I like this thread and have the urge to confess. My lasagne is never made with cheese sauce!I just don't bother putting it in at all. Just use layers of meat sauce, sauteed onions, garlic & vegetables, (whatever is in the fridge), tonight it was carrots, courgettes, eggplant and a quarter of a red capsicum and a big bunch of silverbeet from the garden, and sheets of lasagne pasta out of a box. To get a bit of a cheese fix I top with grated cheese and grill.Totally unauthentic and Totally Delicious!

sossie1, Sep 20, 8:25am
Whatever is in the fridge!

YOU HEATHEN!how dare you, where are the fresh herbs grown by impoverished illiterate peasants who have never eaten a Big Mac!

rosewildvinyl, Sep 20, 8:26am
This is about what WE do - not about how it can be improved.
What is SWCM anyways!

jessie981, Sep 20, 8:26am
My cheese sauce is out of a pkt too.

herself, Sep 20, 8:33am
I know.I know.and I didn't spend hours rolling out the dough to make the tenderest pasta of all time either.mea culpa, mea culpa