Authentic Greek Food/Recipes

awoftam, Sep 11, 5:04am
Hi all.

I Love Greek food and have cooked some, but not a lot. It is a cuisine I would like to learn more about and was wondering if anyone had a good authentic book they could recommend. I have googled and About Food seems to have some good ones however would appreciate any recommendations as so many recipes you see are not actually native but altered to supposedly suit the palate outside of Greece, as are many cuisines. TIA

books4nz, Sep 11, 5:28am
Did you see Rachel Hunter's programme last night. on a Greek Island where people live long, healthy lives.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/ondemand/rachel-hunters-tour-of-beauty

awoftam, Sep 11, 5:38am
No, I have it taped though. I have seen the shorts and I do know of the Island, have one recipe from there that my daughter has just sent me. Looks amazing and can't wait to try it - will need to do it in Summer as lots of aubergine.

jonners2013, Sep 11, 5:49am
the 6 months i spent in Greece were probably the best times of my life.

a greek salad (of cucumber, capsicum, olives, tomato and onion), with a whopping great slab of feta on top, sprinkled with oregano, for lunch every day. phenomenal!

my favourite dish was a really simple lamb (or goat) loin, diced into 2cm squares, marinated in LOTS of garlic, olive oil and lemon juice for as long as possible. Then just stick it in an oven until cooked. Serve on rice if you're so inclined, or just in a wrap with some feta.

awoftam, Sep 11, 6:00am
Hells bells that lamb dish sounds great! I am partial to a bit of goat too, and the supermarket here sells it, which is odd given where I live (IMO). I like Greek food because of its huge slant on veges, and Greek salads are just divine if you get a great feta. Pity the good ones are so expensive here.

summersunnz, Sep 11, 6:56am
You could make your own feta - heaps of recipes online,including this one made on Radar's Patch a few years ago - have been intending to make it myself -
http://tvnz.co.nz/off-the-radar/episode-4-feta-2089422

village.green, Sep 11, 12:03pm
I have a wonderful book I bought over 30 years ago that is very authentic (having a Greek family and spent all my summer holidays there growing up) and it is 'Greek Food' by Rena Salaman published 1983. There are other good ones but this is the first one that comes to mind. There are regional differences though, so what might be authentic to me (Cretan) won't necessarily be to someone from another part of the country.

village.green, Sep 11, 12:06pm
I always make sure I have plenty of olive oil, lemons, garlic, onions, dried oregano and fresh rosemary in my kitchen/garden.
This lady is Ikarian and splits her time between USA and Greece and has a cooking school on the island. She has many modern adapted recipes as well as traditional ones on her site/youtube channel. http://www.dianekochilas.com/category/new-from-diane/recipes/
Kali oreksee (enjoy your meal)

awoftam, Sep 11, 8:18pm
Thank you so much; this will keep me occupied! The ingredients you mention are among my staples so always have plenty on hand. Can't wait to start cooking!

What wonderful memories you must have. Do you ever go back?

ruby19, Sep 11, 8:32pm
Village green, that site is amazing especially love the vegetarian, ones. Will have to give a few of the recipes a whirl.
I used to make frome taste au spinach and feta gozleme they were amazing
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/416/spinach+and+feta+gozleme
great for the summer bbq`s

village.green, Sep 11, 9:17pm
Yes I have been back a few times, but of course now living in NZ it is such a long way. In fact I was there in June this year after an 8 year break and absolutely loved it and am desperately trying to improve my crappy Greek as I am planning on going back next year for my cousin's Big Fat Greek wedding. My Greek mother is based in UK and just got back last night from her second visit for the year, so I always base myself there and then it is just a quick 3.5 hour flight to Crete. We had free accommodation which made it more affordable and the food is pretty cheap (and good) which we did lots of, of course (eating). In fact I am slightly obsessed with all things Greek at the mo and my teens roll their eyes when I start speaking 'Gringlish' to the dogs and at them, but it is the only way I know to keep the language and culture alive ha ha!

village.green, Sep 11, 9:21pm
ruby check out Taste of Greece in Browns Bay, Auckland they have just started importing Greek cheese too, my favourite is Graviera (sheep & goat) which I can now buy locally here in Palmy.

jonners2013, Sep 12, 4:28am
Spanakopita.

awoftam, Sep 12, 5:02am
OMG village.green that website is amazing I have been reading heaps - and dribbling a lot! Have so many things to try. Thanks SO much!

summersunnz, Sep 12, 10:27am
+1. thanks from me too :-)

village.green, Sep 12, 11:35am
Yumbos - made that last week for a shared lunch, however mine was Spanoko-tiro-pita (spinach and cheese pie). I am just splitting hairs here

awoftam, Sep 13, 1:34am
I am going to make the tomato fritters and mushroom stuffed zucchini for dinner nom nom nom. I am one happy little cook wallowing about in that website.

samanya, Oct 29, 12:54am
I too, am very happy cruising & getting heaps of ideas & thanks to village.green for linking that site.
I made this last night & it was lovely, very tasty. It was a great variation on home made 'oven chips', to have with steak & salad It took a bit more faffing about to prepare, but was well worth it, imo.
http://www.dianekochilas.com/the-best-roasted-greek-yiayias-potatoes/