Another Pavlova Failure - where am I going wrong!!

shikawe, Sep 11, 10:55am
Almost every time I make a pav it ends up really hollow underneath - the shape of an upturned bowl. It looks really impressive when it comes out of the oven but then I lift it up and there is nothing much underneath. I usually use the Edmonds recipe, but have also had the same problem with another recipe. Today I tried the Pavlova in an egg thing and the same thing happened. (I followed the instructions to the letter too). It was so bad I had to serve it upside down filled with cream!

Any suggestions where I'm going wrong! Thanks.

245sam, Sep 11, 11:39am
Not a problem I have ever had shikawe, so I'm only guessing here and suggesting that when you put the pavlova mixture on the tray, too much air is trapped between the mixture and the tray/baking paper or whatever you spread it on.
On the underside of the baking paper for lining the oven tray I usually mark out the shape and size I want to spread the pavlova mixture out to and then spread a little of the mixture out within that outline before I top it with all of the remaining pavlova mix.If anything I only finish up with very small indents on the underside of the baked pavlova and IMO that indicates that no significant air was trapped under the uncooked pavlova mixture.

Hope that helps.:-))

cookessentials, Sep 11, 7:03pm
What does the recipe you use contain! I always make mine in a springform tin. I use malt vinegar in the mixture and I have a crisp outside with a marshmallow centre. I can give you the recipe and method if you would like it

jag5, Sep 11, 9:10pm
I had 3 egg whites left over yesterday.whipped them up, added about 1/2 cup sugar.at last minute added 2 tspns cornflour.that was it.

Wet a plate, pile the mixture onto it and into the oven.serve on the plate it is cooked on.came out the most gorgeous marshmallow ever

jtonkin, Sep 11, 9:11pm
Make sure you leave it in the oven after cooking until the oven is cold.

splitty, Sep 11, 10:47pm
oh yes please Pam, I never thought of doing pav in a springform tin

cookessentials, Sep 11, 10:51pm
Here you go splitty. it is an old Margaret Fulton recipe that i have been using for many years. it never fails to impress. let me know how it turns out.

Pavlova
6x egg whites at room temp.
pinch salt
2 cups caster sugar
1 1/4 tsp vinegar ( use malt vinegar)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat your oven to slow (150C)
Beat egg whites wiith salt on high speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1tbsp at a time,beating well after each addition. Stop beating when all sugar has been incorporated and fold in vinegar and vanilla. Pile mixture into a greased 20cm springform tin and lightly smooth the top. Place pavlova into oven and bake 45 minutes,then turn oven off and leave with door shut for one hour. Remove from oven to cool completely at room temp. Remove sides from springform tin. Fill pavlova generously with whipped cream and your choice of topping. I usually do freshly sliced Kiwifruit.

Use a non-stick springform tin and use a light spray around the base and sides using a cooking spray.

splitty, Sep 11, 11:15pm
Sounds too easy, now I just have to wait for an occasion to make it

kinna54, Sep 12, 3:15am
Beating is the key, keep adding the sugar gradually, (I prefer caster sugar for this, but if you use ordinary sugar put it thru the kitchen whizz or beat it first to get it superfine.) and beat until you no longer hear the grainy sound, then beat some more. the addition of cornflour to the mix "stabilises" a pav. Also leave the pav to completely cool in the oven before handling. You can use a springform pan if desired, but I have never really found the need, just sprayed baking paper has worked for me. Good luck, and don't give up, if all else fails make the latest "smashed' version of puddings in a parfait glass from it.

Pavlova # 2

3 egg whites
3 TBSPS cold water
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tsps cornflour

Beat egg whites until stiff.(tip the bowl over your head, if it drips it's not stiff enough)
Add water and beat again.
Add sugar *very gradually* whilst still beating.
Slow beater and add vinegar, vanilla, and corn flour.

Line an oven tray with baking paper.
Spread the pavlova mixture evenly in a 20cm circle evenly over the paper.
Bake at 110 deg C for 45 mins. *Then leave to
completelycool in the oven. *

This pavlova has a softer centre.

Serve topped with whipped cream and fruit.

shikawe, Sep 12, 10:55am
Almost every time I make a pav it ends up really hollow underneath - the shape of an upturned bowl. It looks really impressive when it comes out of the oven but then I lift it up and there is nothing much underneath. I usually use the Edmonds recipe, but have also had the same problem with another recipe. Today I tried the Pavlova in an egg thing and the same thing happened. (I followed the instructions to the letter too). It was so bad I had to serve it upside down filled with cream!

Any suggestions where I'm going wrong! Thanks.

245sam, Sep 12, 11:39am
Not a problem I have ever had shikawe, so I'm only guessing here and suggesting that when you put the pavlova mixture on the tray, too much air is trapped between the mixture and the tray/baking paper or whatever you spread it on.
On the underside of the baking paper for lining the oven tray I usually mark out the shape and size I want to spread the pavlova mixture out to and then spread a little of the mixture out within that outline before I top it with all of the remaining pavlova mix.If anything I only finish up with very small indents on the underside of the baked pavlova and IMO that indicates that no significant air was trapped under the uncooked pavlova mixture.

Hope that helps.:-))

kinna54, Sep 13, 3:15am
Beating is the key, keep adding the sugar gradually, (I prefer caster sugar for this, but if you use ordinary sugar put it thru the kitchen whizz or beat it first to get it superfine.) and beat until you no longer hear the grainy sound, then beat some more. the addition of cornflour to the mix "stabilises" a pav. Also leave the pav to completely cool in the oven before handling. You can use a springform pan if desired, but I have never really found the need, just sprayed baking paper has worked for me. Good luck, and don't give up, if all else fails make the latest "smashed' version of puddings in a parfait glass from it.

Pavlova # 2

3 egg whites
3 TBSPS cold water
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tsps cornflour

Beat egg whites until stiff.(tip the bowl over your head, if it drips it's not stiff enough)
Add water and beat again.
Add sugar *very gradually* whilst still beating.
Slow beater and add vinegar, vanilla, and corn flour.

Line an oven tray with baking paper.
Spread the pavlova mixture evenly in a 20cm circle evenly over the paper.
Bake at 110 deg C for 45 mins. *Then leave to
completelycool in the oven. *

This pavlova has a softer centre.

Serve topped with whipped cream and fruit.