! about fenugreek and idiot proof scones.

Page 1 / 2
cautis, Sep 6, 7:52am
The easiest to answer first - can I freeze the scones, no matter what is in them, like dates, or cheese and bacon, etc!

Second, what is fenugreek!I thought it was a herb or a spice but I couldn't find it in that section at the supermarket.So where would I find it at the supermarket!

Thanks.

cookessentials, Sep 6, 7:59am
Question#1.yes, you can freeze any type of scone really.
Question #2 it is a herb.you often see the seeds for sale

cookessentials, Sep 6, 8:00am

cautis, Sep 6, 8:37am
So can I just buy fenugreek in the supermarket!Or is it a product that is hard to find!

fenian1, Sep 6, 8:56am
Ive found ground fenugreek at the bulk inn stores

cautis, Sep 6, 9:01am
Cool, thanks.

davidt4, Sep 6, 9:21pm
Fenugreek comes in three forms - whole seeds, ground seeds and fresh leaves.Did your recipe specify which form was required!The fresh leaves are usually available at Indian greengrocers (called "methi"), and the seeds will be at Indian food makets or bulk spice markets.

cautis, Sep 7, 7:52am
The easiest to answer first - can I freeze the scones, no matter what is in them, like dates, or cheese and bacon, etc!

Second, what is fenugreek!I thought it was a herb or a spice but I couldn't find it in that section at the supermarket.So where would I find it at the supermarket!

Thanks.

cautis, Sep 7, 8:06am
I'd say the ground seeds.

Can anyone tell me if there is something else I can replace them with!Thanks.

davidt4, Sep 7, 9:29pm
Fenugreek has a very distinctive flavour - I can't think of anything to replace it.What is the recipe!

spoeklet, Sep 8, 12:16am
I was looking for it for ages til I got it at an indian spice store. The lady actually said it is quite sour, so they don't use it much in their curries. Instead they use a mixture of black mustard and cumin seeds. Those are probably easier to find. I found it quite sour, so I won't be using it next time and will try her suggestion.

davidt4, Sep 8, 12:29am
Are you sure that she was talking about fenugreek!It isn't sour at all, but has a faint caramelly smell and an earthy taste.Maybe she meant Amchur, which is a dried mango powder and very sour.

cautis, Sep 8, 8:06am
I'd say the ground seeds.

Can anyone tell me if there is something else I can replace them with!Thanks.

cautis, Sep 8, 9:20am
Pilaf Marrakesh Express
3c Basmati rice, washed and drained well buy
100g butter
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp tumeric
2 tsp allspice
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp fenugreek buy
½ c dried apricots, halved buy
½ c dates, pitted and halved
½ c almonds or pistachios buy
½ c chickpeas (cooked)
9 c boiling chicken stock
salt
Sauté rice, onion, garlic and butter. Add spices and cook 1 min. Add fruit etc, salt, stock.
Bring to a boil, cover and bake 40 – 45 min 170C

This is the recipe.I googled and it said to replace it with mustard seeds but the thought of eating seeds kind of puts me off lol.

davidt4, Sep 8, 9:11pm
That is a recipe that I posted a while ago.Just leave the fenugreek out.

By the way, mustard seeds are mild and nutty, nothing to be frightened of.And don't be frightened of seeds in moderation- almost all spices are seeds and so are lots of other foodstuffs.

davidt4, Sep 8, 9:29pm
Fenugreek has a very distinctive flavour - I can't think of anything to replace it.What is the recipe!

spoeklet, Sep 9, 12:16am
I was looking for it for ages til I got it at an indian spice store. The lady actually said it is quite sour, so they don't use it much in their curries. Instead they use a mixture of black mustard and cumin seeds. Those are probably easier to find. I found it quite sour, so I won't be using it next time and will try her suggestion.

davidt4, Sep 9, 12:29am
Are you sure that she was talking about fenugreek!It isn't sour at all, but has a faint caramelly smell and an earthy taste.Maybe she meant Amchur, which is a dried mango powder and very sour.

cautis, Sep 9, 8:30am
Cool, thanks Davidt4.Sorry, I never take notice of who posts what, I just want to try the recipes, lol.

uli, Sep 9, 9:29am
It has been hard to find because it was supposedly one of the sprouts that caused that bloody diarrhea disease outbreak in Europe.

So the import of the seeds into Europe has been restricted for a while (not sure about the current situation), which can filter down to us depending from which importer the stores buy from.

davidt4, Sep 9, 9:11pm
x1
That is a recipe that I posted a while ago.Just leave the fenugreek out.

By the way, mustard seeds are mild and nutty, nothing to be frightened of.And don't be frightened of seeds in moderation- almost all spices are seeds and so are lots of other foodstuffs.

davidt4, Sep 9, 10:52pm
That's interesting uli.I thought that the E Coli outbreak in Europe was caused by faecal contamination of the growing sprouts.Was it in fact contamination of the seeds before sprouting!

cautis, Sep 10, 7:51am
Oh my goodness!So we made it tonight, I halved the recipe cos there are only four of us, and it still gave us enough for two meals, so have frozen half.

It is so yummy!I cooked up a chicken breast cos my boys will revolt if there is no meat, left out the fenugreek and just added 1/2 tsp of mustard, which I think can be left out too actually.I think next time I'll add some sliced capsicum for more colour.

Thanks so much Davidt4 for posting the recipe!

uli, Sep 10, 9:10am

davidt4, Sep 10, 10:52pm
That's interesting uli.I thought that the E Coli outbreak in Europe was caused by faecal contamination of the growing sprouts.Was it in fact contamination of the seeds before sprouting!