Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 7 / 54
juliewn, Jul 11, 5:31am
Hi Everyone. .

I've been experimenting with bread recipes lately - and have been making my bread recipe from the first page of this thread in a different way, and using a mix of grains:

Place 1 cupful of a mix of grains into a heat-proof jug that's at least 2 cups in size. - I'm using a mix of kibbled wheat, rolled rye (they look similar to rolled oats), corn grits and kibbled rye.

Pour boiling water over these, filling the jug to the two cup level.

Use a knife to stir the grains through the water, and then leave until the temperature of the mix has reached a tepid warmth, that's suitable for yeast - about 20-30 minutes. During this time, the grains will swell to absorb the liquid.

In a large bowl, place:
2 cups flour (I use high grade), 2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt and 2 slightly rounded tablespoons of Surebake yeast.
Stir together.
Add 2 cups tepid (hand temperature) water and whisk till smooth - it's a thickish batter.
Add the grains mix and mix well through the yeast mix.

Cover and leave in a warm place for about 20-30 minutes, until the mix is bubbling quite rapidly. . as though it has just come to a boil.

Add a cup of fine-ground cornmeal - or you could use any other type of flour - rye flour, etc. . Stir through.

Then:
1. For a no-knead style:
Add about 2 1/2 to 3 cups white flour - until you can only just mix it with a wooden spoon (which is the easiest way to mix it), and then pour the dough into a large dish (roasting size), loaf pan's, or smaller dishes, half filling the containers, as the dough will rise.

or. . 2. :
Add up to about 3 cups of flour - until you can knead the dough easily. . knead until it springs back when pushed down lightly with your finger-tip, then shape as you want it, place in tins or on trays,

For both methods - cover and rise until doubled in size and bake at 230°C till the bread sounds hollow when tapped with your finger tip or a knife.

The grains will be quite crisp on the top of the bread once cooked - and soften as it cools. .

Enjoy. . :-)

winnie231, Aug 1, 8:05am
Bumping up for me.

kate531, Aug 1, 8:18am
sorry this may have been on here before but cant find if it has, how do i make a wholegrain or mulitgrain bread in breadmaker - where do i get the grainy bits from? ? do they come in a flour or separately?
TIA
Kate

valentino, Aug 10, 4:53am
Bumping... . for cinnabons post numbers 391, 392 and 393...

elliehen, Sep 1, 6:58am
And another bumpity-bump for good bread, getting bad press here and there from some, but an important part of a well-balanced diet, especially for fast-growing children with energy needs that surpass those of plod-along adults.

elliehen, Sep 1, 7:44am
And be happy in your bread-making :)Bread is 'the staff of life'.

"Familiar Quotations" by John Bartlett, under Matthew Henry (1662-1714), "Commentaries (1708-1710) states: "Here is bread, which strengthens man's heart, and therefore called the staff of life. Ib. Psalm 104."

juliewn, Sep 2, 11:41am
Hi Kate..

Usually to make a wholegrain or multigrain loaf, use about 1/4 to a 1/3 of wholegrain's or multigrain's to the amount of flour the flour..

Ie.. if your recipe has 4 cups flour, substitute 1 cup to just over 1 cup of wholegrain's or multigrains for the same amount of flour.

For a 6 cups of flour recipe, replace 1 & 1/2 cups to 2cups flour with whole or multi grains.

I find Bin Inn type stores are good for buying grains and different flours from - Moshims is another one.. and there are a wide range of different options there - I like to use a mix of corn grits, kibbled wheat, kibbled rye and some corn-meal - this gives a similar look to Molenberg bread..

I soak the grains first - place them in a jug or bowl and cover with boiling water, plus at least another 1/2 cup of water - more may be needed as the grains absorb the water. Proceed as usual for your recipe.. you'll need the normal amount of water from the recipe as the water with the grains will be completely absorbed by the grains.

Once you've found the mix of grains you like, you can experiment with the types available at a bulk-buy type store.. there are many flours and grains available there..

I hope this is of help.. Good luck.. :-)

unknowndisorder, Sep 4, 1:23am
Helen59, I'd just like to say thankyou for the recipe. I've got a mix in the machine at the moment, which means another couple of hours before I can pig out on it again.

shiyo, Sep 6, 5:01am
shiyo wrote:

NO KNEAD BREAD
I use to make this recipe all the time when the kids were little and I didnt have time for much....
750gms flour , I used a mix of white and wholemeal Put in a bowl and
add 1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp salt
add 600mls warm water, mix
mixture should be wet and sticky, grease 2 tins pour in and leave to rise. Cook for about 45mins at 350.

See people wanted to know about the no knead bread receipe I posted ages ago.Checked my book and it does say 1 tbsp. it made a very bubbly open type bread.Havent made it for years , but will try again and see what happens I will let you all know.

juliewn, Sep 10, 12:39pm
Wow.. I'm almost early tonight! Hope everyone is enjoying the recipes from all who have added them here..

sooseque, Sep 11, 9:38am
Kibbled wheat used in bread recipe, is it necessary to soak this first ?

juliewn, Sep 12, 2:48am
Bumping for handmade bread recipes.. :-)

evorotorua, Sep 12, 7:24am
oooh I have never had the 1000 post before. Yay me!!!!

juliewn, Sep 14, 10:49am
Good for you Erica :-).. hope all is well for you. Hi Shiyo... our mouths are watering from seeing your bread - yum!

chloedancer, Sep 14, 10:55pm
Hi all I'd like to know if I can freeze bread dough? In particular a pizza dough. Your advice would be most welcome. TIA

amourette, Sep 14, 11:02pm
Yup!!!! I vacuum sealed one and defrosted it yesterday and cooked, no problems!

pancakesrus, Sep 14, 11:54pm
Garlic N Herb Monkey Bread Recipe Made this today and it is oh so yum so had to share it with you all.

•1 1/3 cups milk
•2 Tbsp veg oil
•2 3/4 cups white flour
•3/4 cup whole wheat flour
•1 tsp salt
•1 clove crushed garlic
•1 tsp sugar
•3 tsp surebake yeast,
•1Tbsp butter
•2 cloves crushed garlic
•1/4 tsp dry sage
•1/4 tsp dry rosemary
•1/2tsp dry basil

1.place the first 8 ingredients into breadmaker pan in order listed and press setting 8 to make dough
2.Melt butter with garlic and herbs in a saucepan and saute, set aside
3.When dough is done remove and cut into ten large or twenty small rolls,
4.roll each in butter mix and pile into a baking dish (I use a casserole dish) and place it in a warm spot to rise to double its size.
5.Bake at 180c for around 25 to 30 mins till browned.

chloedancer, Sep 15, 12:16am
Awesome thanks heaps I don't have a vacuum seal thingy, but I only need to freeze them for a couple of days (daughters birthday on Sunday and homemade pizza is loved by all our family hehe).

suziedd, Sep 15, 2:47am
Hello all bakers... ...I didn't realise there was a bread thread here and asked a question relating to the use of barley flour in my loaves elsewhere.The result is beautifully moist,but the loaf sinks.Help please ! More yeast required?With thanks.

juliewn, Sep 17, 2:54pm
Bumping for you Suzie.. I haven't used barley flour, so hopefully someone will be of help for you..

juliewn, Sep 18, 10:10am
Bumping for Nesh1.. :-)

juliewn, Sep 19, 9:58am
And for Littlememories.. :-)

holdenfanz, Sep 22, 9:37am
Can I use a food processor to make bread dough instead of a breadmaker as the breadmaker I got is crap its from K Mart and doesn't mix properly or cook properly. I've only had it 3 weeks and am very disappointed.

elmartino, Sep 23, 2:46am
@ holdenfanz - re food processor
depends on the dough. I killed my 'cheapy' when I tried to make a yeast dough years ago. If it is somehow kneadable use your hand. -> mix dry and wet ingredients with a spoon until combined to avoid the mess stick on your hands and knead until it feels nice and soft (my pizza dough always feels silky ..I just love it!! :)). let rise, shape, rise & bake. better than any breadmaker can do it :)

juliewn, Sep 23, 10:01am
Hi Holden.. you could take the breadmaker back to Kmart with it not working as its meant to..

I wouldn't use a food processor.. it needs a different motion to the kind-of cutting through that a f/p does..

Good luck with getting a better breadmaker that makes lovely bread for you.. or check my recipes on page 1 of this thread and hand-make your bread.. it's not difficult and - I think - tastes nicer than a bread machine loaf..