Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 53 / 54
summer1013, Feb 11, 2:40am
thanks wendalls:)hi i bought a commercial sized bread tin .the size is 370mm long125mm high and 140mm deep . and im looking for a white and wholegrain recipes suitable for this tin.im new to bread making and reading through this thread im goingto be busy.

clemo, Feb 11, 9:17am
Bump for person looking for bread maker recipes!

mwood, Feb 11, 10:48am
My tip is to add 100 gm of cooked rice to your already successful bread maker recipe - don't change your established recipe - just add the 100 of cooked rice - amazing results

juliewn, Feb 11, 10:56am
Bumping for lb1. How did you get on with the recipe. I hope it's of help.

shiyo, Feb 11, 2:45pm
Any one have a bread receipe or knowledge of how to cook on the top of a fireplace. There is no oven so needs to be cooked on top of the fire box.(At the bach --no power) Maybe in a pot! My mum use to do one years ago in a pressure cooker , but I dont have it or a pressure cooker.Thanks

clemo, Feb 11, 11:53pm
I made the mayo ham and cheese twirls yesterday! What a hit. My hubby and kids say they taste heaps better than the ones from the bakery! Thanks for the great thread!

shiyo, Feb 12, 2:52am
bump.please please

caroline66, Feb 12, 3:58am
You could make a flat bread in a frypan.Don't have one myself but just googled 'flat bread' and there are heaps!

uli, Feb 12, 4:47am
Best bread ever is baked in the camp oven! Try it out!

mrsrickp, Feb 12, 5:30am
I dragged the old bread maker out of the cupboard today.she has been in retirement for a few years. She went like a dream and we have lovely fresh bread to have with our dinner.Lots of ideas and recipes on this thread that I can do. Thanks heaps

juliewn, Feb 12, 9:53am
Hi. camp oven bread is just wonderful. Use a bread recipe as per one of my first posts. White, wholemeal, grain etc., to taste. Place inside a very well greased camp oven and cover with baking paper. Place the lid on and cut the baking paper so it's not showing, so the paper edges won't burn. Leave in a warm place to rise till doubled in size - inside a car with the windows just a tiny bit open is good - so it's not too hot. When I've made bread this way, I've placed several layers of tinfoil around the outside of the camp oven to reduce the impact of direct heat. Have the fire at the hot glowing kind of stage - without actual flames. and hang the camp oven (if possible) just above the glowing part. If not possible to hang it, place some bricks or stones so the camp oven can sit just above the direct heat. Place some hot coals on top of the lid so the top browns. Bake until golden on top. the chances are the bread will rise and lift the lid!

juliewn, Feb 12, 9:53am
Check it's cooked by tapping on the top of the bread - if it sounds hollow, it's cooked. It truly tastes wonderful.

juliewn, Feb 12, 9:54am
I've also made it like this inside a closed in fireplace. cold winter's night - fire going - let it die down till just glowing and no flames; used a loaf tin, thick foil around the bottom and over the top of the dough. Placed the tin on some bricks, and closed the fireplace door. baked till the top was golden and sounded hollow when tapped - about the same time as in an oven. Delicious.

juliewn, Feb 12, 9:55am
I've also got an old pot belly fireplace outside that we sometimes cook on - I place a bbq circular plate on top of the opening, light a fire inside the stove, let it die down till there are just a few flames. Place the foil covered camp oven or a roasting dish with the bread inside, on top of the bbq top above the flames. and bake. Near the end of cooking, when it's almost cooked and the top is still pale, I take the lid off, place a thick layer of foil on top of the bread, and turn it upside down on the bbq top so the top browns. truly yum!

juliewn, Feb 12, 9:59am
Hi Shiyo. you could also make griddle scones. a usual scone dough - white, wholemeal, with dates or sultanas, whatever takes your fancy.lightly grease a frypan and place pieces of scone dough that are about 1cm thick in the pan. Cook till golden on the lower side, and then turn - continue cooking till they're cooked through. yum!

juliewn, Feb 12, 10:00am
In my first posts on the first page I've included how to make Naan bread. and there is another recipe in this thread also. Both could be made in a hot pan on top of the fire. so both might be of help. Or try the Pita bread recipe I posted and cook it inside the firebox. Have fun!

uli, Feb 12, 7:40pm
I bake differently in the camp oven It gets heated up empty, including lid. Then I take it off the fire and let the risen bread slide gently from its board into the hot pot. I only use generous amounts of bran on the dough so it doesn't stick. No fat! It will deflate a bit but that is no problem. Lid on and back into the heat of the fire. The bread will rise in its pot and cook in its own steam and develop a very nice fluffy crumb and crackling crust. If you use fat that will burn and often give it an off taste. If you have used enough bran the dough will not stick to the pot at all!

oopie, Feb 13, 12:36am
Wow.I've just found this thread Nice to see so many people passionate about home bread baking.Commercial cardboard just doesn't do it.If you can get access to a wholesale warehouse look out for Maximus flour, very high grade, much better than regular high grade flour, of course a couple of tablespoons of gluten flour helps too.I've just made three wholemeal loaves, one dozen rolls and a loaf of white minus the bit I pinched for my pizza base for lunch at 11 am.I usually use fresh compressed yeast, but have captured yeast using different forms, one using organic rasins was particually successful but a very long process.

oopie, Feb 13, 12:38am
I even use bread dough to make 'cakes' Usually the wholemeal one from earlier.Adding a bit of sugar, some eggs and dried fruit and beating it with my hand until elastic.It's a bit hard to give measurements and so much is done by feel.

shiyo, Feb 14, 1:30am
thanks eveyone great ideas and will put them to use. cheers for that

juliewn, Feb 14, 8:41am
Mmmm Oopie. can we come to your place for yummies. they sound so good!. I remember a cake made from a bread type dough from when I was a teenager. it had a lovely yeasty sort of flavour, and had currants in. hadn't thought about it till I saw your post. maybe it was something similar to what you make.

juliewn, Feb 15, 10:05am
Hi Summer. you could make any recipe, and once risen, push the dough down and shape into an oblong sort of shape that will half fill your pan. make rolls if you want with any of the dough left over. Cover the loaf pan and rolls, if any,. with a cloth, and leave till doubled in size, bake at 230C till lightly browned and sounds hollow when you tap the top with the edge of a teaspoon. Enjoy :-)

gerry64, Feb 16, 12:27am
I was given a jar of chiilie marmalade for xmas and had no idea what to do with it - so made the scroll recipe and used the marmalade and feta cheese - they were devine
Interesting idea to add the rice - will give that a go next loaf I make

juliewn, Mar 11, 1:23pm
Sounds delicious Gerry

cookessentials, Mar 11, 9:33pm
Sounds delicious gerry. We have a caf'e in the village that does scrolls using relish, sliced ham, onion, capsicum and cheese for their scrolls which is really tasty.