Do you put your scones

Page 2 / 3
lx4000, Aug 31, 12:32am
could be kuaka. Knife to mix. Little handling. Close together on the tray. Add dry to wet ingredients. Should be sticky dough but not wet.

kuaka, Aug 31, 12:35am
I won't be beaten!I will try again!Just not today.

elliehen, Aug 31, 12:36am
Maybe your fear of failure makes you take too long with the mixing.Grate in the cold butter, mix in the milk very quickly with a knife.Do not knead, but just turn the dough over twice and pat out gently.

The faster you work, the lighter they'll be, no matter what the recipe.

kuaka, Aug 31, 1:22am
I watched my friend make them once and she just sort of grabbed handfuls of the mix and put on the tray, chucked them in the oven and they were delicious.I have tried to do the same thing, and the result is a dismal failure.I don't knead them, I don't roll them.I try to work as quickly as I can, but I sort of shape them with my hands - probably where I'm going wrong.Hubby says if I can't make them by now (I'm in my 60s) I should give up as I'm never going to get the hang of them.

indy95, Aug 31, 1:32am
This is pretty much the method I use and I have made scones for many years now using grated cold butter just stirred through the dry mix. I have tried the lemonade version two or three times but thought the texture was heavy.

..pip.., Aug 31, 3:47am
I have always made great scones and have never figured out how people mess them up.

3 cups flour
3 tsp B.P
50 grams butter rubbed in
add 100 grams grated cheese
stir in with a knife 1 and 1/4 cups of milk

Dough should be SOFT, only work enough to roll out and cut.(Don't roll out too thin, mix should make 12-14 scones)

Bake at 210 for 13 minutes.

minn1, Aug 31, 4:18am
Kuaka, I too was going to ask how you mix them and suggest mixing quickly with a knife. I used to make rubbish scones, but now that I do that,- I am famous! lol!(well, with my husband anyway!) I use the idiot proof recipe.and just like you, the first time I made them they were a disgrace,.-and wrote "SO CALLED !" beside it.but I decided (MONTHS later,) to give it another go,only to find once I had the egg and everything on the go, that I didn't have any baking powder.,but had an odd feeling that maybe baking soda and cream of tartar, might do,put in a tsp of each.and VAROOM ! SO, now, I always add about half a tsp each, to self raising flour.and success everytime.Dont know if that might help, but I would definitly try the mixing with a knife. All the best:D

rainrain1, Aug 31, 5:29am
I don't like buttermilk at all and I won't use it, but thanks anyway cookes

cgvl, Aug 31, 11:38pm
Kuaka I put them in on second rung from top (high up in oven) Oven at 220C, I don't have fan bake and they only take 5-7mins max to cook.
Straight out of oven into a tea towel lined colander and covered to cool, not that they last hot for long . eaten too quick.
For me the food processor is the only way I can make scones that are anywhere near edible. everything except milk into processor, whizz to combine add milk and pulse until mixed. tip out onto floured board. Roll out quickly with rolling pin, cut and into oven. Might go make some for lunch.

kuaka, Aug 31, 11:45pm
I am soooo envious of people who can make edible scones - hubby now refers to mine as "stones".I will have another go, maybe tomorrow.I will succeed or die in the process.

kay141, Sep 1, 2:29am
Cold tray sprinkled with flour, just like my mother did. Never tried the lemonadeor buttermilk ones. Just the same non recipe ones made for generations.

kinna54, Sep 1, 6:17am
You have it spot on taurus. Made countless scones daily when catering, and the best scones ever are what I make now when my old hands are nakkered and I can't muck around with them. My old "nannie" always told me I had "heavy hands" and she was right!

trixieleigh, Sep 1, 8:15am
The problem with scones is they need to be made with warm water and mik mixed together as this helps to aerate the flour and baking powderScones are the opposite to pastrywhere you need pastry to be kept as cold as possible and scones warm.

kuaka, Sep 1, 8:23am
trixieleigh might have a very good point there.Something else to try to remember next time I decide to give them a try.

kay141, Sep 1, 8:30am
Have never done that either. Just use milk from the fridge.

beebs, Sep 1, 11:42pm
the keys i have found is mimimal handling of the dough and leave them on the cold tray on the bench for 15-20 minutes, even half and hour befroe they go in the oven, it improves the cooked texture

chrissie91, Sep 4, 11:07am
Hi Kuaka, you have made my evening. LOL, you and your scones, just the way you described your failures, and your hubby calling them stones. I needed that laugh this evening. I have tried "Never Fail Sponge",, guess what yep it failed,, every time. PS, First time I made bread, even the ducks couldn't eat it, so hard.

kuaka, Sep 5, 1:43am
chrissie, well two days after my scone failure, I heard this strange tapping in the kitchen (I was in the lounge) and when I went to investigate, I found hubby picking up a scone and dropping it on the bench.It's a wonder the bench didn't crack.I had to hack them into pieces, soak in water, and feed them to the birds.Hubby said the poor birds would have to sharpen their beaks.Even the mynahs wouldn't eat them!The sparrows did, though, God bless them.

chez23, Sep 5, 2:33am
Never fail . . Edmonds Scone Mix.I make mixture bit more cakey mix and cook in greased muffin trays.My family like the texture better this way and they come out the same size.
Call me a cheat but i never have a failure and all get eaten.I make dozens of different flavours at a time and freeze.

mercury14, Sep 5, 10:16am
Our grans and mums always put them hot from the oven into a clean, wet, well rung out tea-towell to keep the outsides from going hard.

mercury14, Sep 5, 10:20am
Speaking of disasters, many years ago I make some biscuits that were so hard I could not get them from the tray, so I put the tray out the window so the rain could soften them. Guess what next morning after the rain yep they were still rock hard and to add insult to injury, the bl.dy possums had tried to scratch them off and failed.

elliehen, Sep 5, 10:29am
I put mine into a clean DRY teatowel so that they steam and stay soft :)

kuaka, Sep 5, 10:48am
I think I could have steam-cleaned mine and they still would have been hard!

elliehen, Sep 5, 11:04am
Back yourself, kuaka ;)

Remember the theory of the self-fulfilling prophecy! If you constantly tell yourself you're hopeless at something, you will be!

kuaka, Sep 5, 12:27pm
elliehen - I've tried telling myself that "this time they will be perfect" but somehow it seems they never are.