Do you put your scones

Page 1 / 3
rainrain1, Aug 30, 8:45pm
on a hot tray or a cold one!I never know which way is the best way

kuaka, Aug 30, 9:08pm
Gawd knows.I tried the "idiot-proof" recipe yesterday and they came out like bits of concrete!

sam284, Aug 30, 9:09pm
I always use a cold tray

bluecalico, Aug 30, 9:23pm
cold buttered tray.hot oven.

lx4000, Aug 30, 9:28pm
Cold here.

Did you over knead them!Cook them too long! Was the dough sticky!

indy95, Aug 30, 9:38pm
Usually onto a hot tray as it seems to get the rising off to a good start.

leogal1, Aug 30, 9:40pm
I use a cold tray for scones too.

cgvl, Aug 30, 9:43pm
cold tray, very hot oven.
Try using the food processor to make them in if they go like rocks. Oh and use a rolling pin to roll them rather than pat out. Keep you hand light though, and I cut using a glass or mug rather than a knife.
Its taken me 20 years to actually be able to make edible scones, my mum could make wonderful scones and flat sponges me the sponges are great but the scones were bricks. Until someone suggested the food processor, never looked back.

pickles7, Aug 30, 9:47pm
I will make this recipe up for lunch today.

Scones. Date.
4 cups of flour,
1 tsp salt,
2 tsp baking soda,
4 tsp cream of tartar, sifted. chop up and add
200grams of dates.
melt 100 grams of butter,
add 1 egg, beat with whisk, add milk to make up to 2 cups.
add to dry ingredients mix.
I tip the mixture out on a floured tray, press out, cut, cook.
When I say cut, press a knife, down through the scones, rather than to, drag a knife through.
bake 15 minutes in a hot oven.

nfh1, Aug 30, 9:48pm
I will be around at 1.00 pm pickles!

lodgelocum, Aug 30, 9:50pm
Cold tray usually lined with baking paper.I usually have 2/3 milk 1/3 water which gives a lighter scone.

rainrain1, Aug 30, 10:13pm
It's a terrible recipe that's why, they are the worst scones I've ever made lol.try this one kuaka

Date and lemon Scones

150mls milk
150mls cream
1 egg
(Beat these 3 ingredients together)

Mix together 3 cups selfraising flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup chopped dates
Zest of one lemon
Pour milks into dry ingredients and give a good old mix.
Lightly kneed and make a 2" high shape
Use a large round cutter or knife.
Glaze with milk and sugar
Cook on tray with flat side up until golden brown hot oven 10 - 15 minutes. Oven 200

rover48, Aug 30, 10:22pm
I make lovely big scones and always grate the butter in then it only needs a little bit of kneading.Much easier than all that rubbing in.

kuaka, Aug 30, 10:28pm
rainrain - thanks for that.I will try it next time I want to do scones.I wouldn't have minded so much yesterday except that I was having friends round for our usual games afternoon and the host always provides the afternoon tea, and I was embarrassed to serve these things - I couldn't have even called them rock cakes.I warmed them slightly in the microwave before buttering them and lacing them with jam, but we honestly struggled with them.I kept thinking "why didn't I make pikelets - they are so easy and always delicious".

kuaka, Aug 30, 10:29pm
Even the birds are struggling with them this morning.I cut them into pieces (hubby asked did I need to borrow his chainsaw!) and then I soaked them, and the birds are still not eating the crusts.

rainrain1, Aug 30, 10:41pm
A bit like me yesterday, attempting 2 new recipes for the shearing shed smoko, neither turned out well, and the muffins are being fed to the birds and chooks.Got there in the end, but I should have known better not to try a new recipe when you are on a time schedule.The birds took a while to pick at the muffins lol

kuaka, Aug 30, 10:45pm
too true, makes me wonder why we do it.I suppose in the back of my mind I always think "I can't fail AGAIN can I!" - I once worked as a cook at an old folks home and the very first day I started matron had scones on the menu for morning tea, and I had already warned her at my interview that I couldn't bake scones to save myself.She said "of course you can - anyone can make scones".I noticed as I was preparing lunch that first day, that matron has crossed out "scones" on the menu and written "rock cakes".

spot20, Aug 30, 10:46pm
I was thinking the cheese scones on the Mainland Egmont cheese ad look delish!

vtired, Aug 30, 10:50pm
I use the basic edmonds book recipe, put all dry ingrediants together then add butter chopped in to fine breadcrumbs,(like idea of grating butter) then add flavour e.g cheese etc then add wet, mix w knife until only just mixed, out onto floured bench and bring together very quickly w no kneading pat to about 1 and 1/2 inch high, cut onto cold tray and into 220c oven 10 mins, always perfect.

rainrain1, Aug 30, 11:05pm
Worst ever was on Monday when the foxie jumped into the hot fish pie on the back seat of the car which was going down to the shed.He wasn't in it for long, (2 seconds flat) but I still had to send it down as it was the main meal for the day.Poor wee sod cried and cried and some pie splashed over the car seats.I asked the rousie who's car it was, not to tell the shearers till after they'd eaten it.She said she wouldn't lolThe dog was Ok and the pie was eaten, and I daresay the gang knows about the dog jumping in it by now!I made them hot pinwheel scones and creamed sponge the next day to cover my back

kuaka, Aug 30, 11:07pm
all these people who say they make perfect scones every time make me sick!- just joking.I do get very frustrated though, as it seems the one thing I just can't make.I can do delicious light sponges, pikelets no trouble, but scones.I am just a complete failure.Even the cream and lemonade ones are not as good as other people's and I have tried the scone mix from Bin Inn.It was passable, but wouldn't have described them as "melt in the mouth" or "delicious", more like "alright if you were starving" - BUT I am going to persevere.Do you use "fan bake" or just ordinary for scones, and how close to the top of the oven do you have the tray!

cookessentials, Aug 30, 11:22pm
Cool tray and I only ever make my buttermilk ones as they stay lovely and fresh for more than a day.

cookessentials, Aug 30, 11:24pm
Try these then, they work every time.

Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.
I just use what ever cutter I want, depending on if I want large scones or not.

taurus2005, Aug 31, 12:14am
1.lightly mix the ingredients together very quickly with a knife, (only enough so all the flour is no longer dry) mix to a soft dough,
2.dust flour on the tray I am baking the scones on,
3.throw the scone mix on to this, pat quickly into a square shape, cut with floured knife, into the hot oven.
With scones, the least handling the better.All the recipes above should give you beautiful scones as long as you do not overhandle the dough.

kuaka, Aug 31, 12:28am
I think I make the scones too big (fearing they won't rise) so that they take too long to cook and go hard on the outside before the insides cook.Would that make sense!