Frying steak

spencer26, Aug 29, 8:44pm
How hot a pan do I use to fry a piece of fillet steak!
I have been told to use Canola oil and to let it stand after cooking, but am bot sure how hot the pan should be.

marree, Aug 29, 9:02pm
Hi, try to get the pan as hot as you can (without smoking the kitchen out!), add only a little oil tho, then put your steaks in and do either side for a few minutes to your suiting (rare or well done) -you might have to prod them a bit to see.I find a cast iron pan is the best, but if you don't have try to use a non-stick pan or electric frying pan. Add some garlic or spices / herbs also if you wish. Good luck - yummy!

cookessentials, Aug 29, 9:31pm
Morning spencer.if you have a non-stick pan, do not put it on a high heat. They are not made for high heat cooking. I have posted this link with Gordon Ramsay as it is a brilliant way to learn just how to do it because you can see how it's done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=MtIiR7DBAqY

cookessentials, Aug 29, 9:32pm
I rest my steaks for 5-10 mins.

gilligee, Aug 29, 9:41pm
Rather than putting oil in the pan you can paint/dab a little oil on each steak.

pickles7, Aug 29, 10:33pm
Never put oil in the pan, that is how you make .smoke.or cook them on the BBQ.
When the juice rise, turn your steak, when the juice rises again, remove your steak and rest it. It is the case of getting your eye in, as to how much juice you can see. Do not turn your steak any more, than that.

cookessentials, Aug 29, 11:23pm
Nothing wrong with oil in the pan.just use the right oil. Gordone does actually know what he is talking about

lodgelocum, Aug 30, 2:09am
Oil the steaks, not the pan, also season the steaks, and have them at room temperature before cooking, not straight from the fridge.

pickles7, Aug 30, 6:00am
LOL.
I missed writing that bit down.
Yes, oil the meat ,not the pan.

ladeda, Aug 30, 6:16am
Make a fist with one hand. Feel/prod the soft flesh between thumb and forefinger with the finger on your other hand. That is the softness of rare steak. As you move your prodding towards the wrist, you will feel how the steak gets harder as it is cooked more. I now use the prod test to get my steak perfectly cooked.

To use the same technique, prod your cheek and that is "rare" steak.

spencer26, Aug 30, 5:27pm
Thanks all of you who responded. The steak last night was excellent.
I really appreciate the advice people share.

survivorr, Aug 30, 8:46pm
Just watched that and it was a big help.I see GR is using a cast iron pan and unfortunately I gave mine away - was too big for me and so I've been looking for a smaller one but no success so far.Will keep looking though.I certainly did like the way it cooked food but just too big and heavy.I need to find one with a wooden handle as well.