To many Bananas what to do!

ent1, Aug 21, 2:43am
I have got to many bananas that are ripe and ripening up a bit to much. Any ideas on what I can do with them rather than to waste them! Not really feeling to cooking but if thats the only option impart from eating them I will cook them but ideas please!

maitredee, Aug 21, 2:46am
You can freeze them as is in skins, take out as you need to make cakes.

just4jess, Aug 21, 2:46am
You can freeze them, and take them out when you want them for cooking - banana cake, muffins etc.

harrislucinda, Aug 21, 2:46am
haveyou ablender!putthemin withmilkto makesmoothies

blt10, Aug 21, 2:52am
Banana cakes or freeze.

camper18, Aug 21, 2:53am
Post them to my daughter in Aussie. They are $12.50 a kilo down from $17. She nearly burst into tears when I showed her the P/S add for $1.39
a kilo the other day.

245sam, Aug 21, 2:55am
ent1, if your bananas are so ripe that they are soft and 'squishy', as advised above, put them, as is, into the freezer for baking cakes, loaves, muffins with themORif the bananas are ripe but still firm enough, cut them into chunks, coat them lightly with lemon juice, then freeze the banana chunks for making smoothies or instant 'icecream' with them, direct from the freezer without thawing.

Hope that helps.:-))

maitredee, Aug 21, 3:09am
That is ridiculous, I thought bananas would be cheap there.

kinna54, Aug 21, 3:15am
Bananas are dear over there due to the floods, and Aussie's laws and refusal to import bananas.Had a friend visiting there for a sport tournament, wondered why the fruit shop guy ran over when he picked a bunch and put them on the scales; guy said that wil be $22. He put them back and bought grapes!

karlandkellarni, Aug 21, 3:28am
Chop them up into slices, freeze, and use to make banana 'icecream'.Just chuck them in the blender.

pam.delilah, Aug 21, 4:18am
make some
Banana Ice cream

4 bananas
1 t runny honey
juice half an orange
1/4 c toasted coconut (optional), toasted in 200°C pre heated oven, for 5 to 10 mins until golden brown
1. Peel your bananas, slice them into 2cm slices, place in a supermarket bag and freeze over night
2. Remove bananas from freezer
3. Place in a food processor, with honey and orange juice and whiz until blended. Scrape mixture out into a plastic container and re freeze for an hour
4. Scoop out into bowls, sprinkle with toasted coconut and serve with fresh fruit salad, or in an ice cream cone or as an ice cream sandwich with wafers

Roasted Banana Ice Cream
3 ripe bananas
1/3 C sugar (preferably brown sugar) + 2 T regular white sugar
1 T butter
1 t vanilla essence
1 C milk
½ C fresh cream (chilled)
1 ½ t lemon juice
½ t salt
½ t cinnamon powder
1/8 C raisins soaked in 2 T dark rum
Peel the bananas and cut into 1 inch chunks. In a glass baking dish take the banana pieces and brown sugar, and toss with the butter. Bake for 40 minutes (preheated to 400F/200C), till browned, turning just once in the middle of the baking process.
Remove the contents of the baking dish into a mixing bowl. Add the all the other ingredients except raisins, and blend to a smooth puree. Mix in the raisins and any nuts, if using, and pour into an ice cream maker to set in the fridge. (I used the plastic container of store-bought ice cream to chill mine, blended it once after 2 hours of chilling.)
To serve, scoop into bowls and top with roasted cashews and a sauce of choice, if desired. The syrupy sauce made during the baking process would be great – just be sure to adjust quantities to make extra.

buzzy110, Aug 21, 5:30am
This sounds like such an amazing ice cream. I have been making frozen banana ice cream for ages and never thought to do this. I would probably leave out the honey though as (a) I never use runny honey because it is processed and (b) I think the banana is sweet enough. I often add in frozen feijoa as well.

Thank you for this recipe idea.

Did you know that frozen mango and persimmon also make excellent "ice cream" with no further work! Just freeze and leave out of the fridge for about 15mins and it is quite delicious. I scoop them onto desserts and never tell people that my expensive mango or persimmon flavoured ice cream is just the real fruit.

maitredee, Aug 21, 5:34am
I wonder what their apple prices are then, why they dont want us sending ours there.lol

southerngurl, Aug 21, 6:58am
mmmm deep fried battered banana

pam.delilah, Aug 21, 8:43am
thank you for the ideas , love these both , so will try

marcs, Aug 22, 7:48am
I wish we had bananas here in Auz to buy. They are still around $15kg. Anyway I made tin goose cafe's banana bread and it was yummy. You can make them and feeze them for when you need it.

gennie, Aug 23, 9:34am
I just throw my super ripe ones in the freezer (I only like eating quite first slightly green banana's).I regularly make banana bread (the recipe on the foodlovers.co.nz is superb.Great sliced and then toasted in the toaster in the morning for breakfast .mmmm.

jamiemew, Aug 24, 3:43am
Banana bread loaf! Then freeze excess loaves And eat for breaky my kids love them!