good old fashioned steamed pudding recipes.. .

Page 3 / 7
uli, Aug 10, 2:51am
sissybel the plastic out of which bread bags are manufactured is not designed to be heated. There may be a lot of chemicals leaching out into your pudding if you heat it up. Please do not repeat it for the health's sake of the people eating the pudding.

maysept, Aug 10, 9:31pm
The best steamed pudding I've made is the Golden syrup one from Nigella's Domestic Goddess book. I don't have the recipe with me at the moment, but it always comes out beautifully light and spongy and never heavy or stodgy. You just mix it up in the mixer or food processor and chuck it in a pot for two hours at the back of the stove and you have a delicious pudding. Couldn't be easier!

sissybel, Aug 12, 10:36pm
Uli Thanks I made sure that I didn't turn it inside out for that very reason (the colours in the plastic). . But sure I will stick to cotton cloth as I know that any aluminium containers tend to leach undesirerables into your food as well.

blondes1, Aug 17, 4:54am
vegetable steam pud i know this sounds odd b ut am looking for an old recipe for steamed pudd that had grated pumpkin, kumara, carrott etc in with currants and almond essence. Is delicious but unfortunately over the years have misplaced the receipe. Used to be family favourite . . . would any
one know it. Cheers

pauline64, Aug 17, 6:21am
Steamed Ginger pudding This was my mother in law's mother in law's recipe. I have converted it for the microwave.
2T butter, 3T sugar, 1 egg, 1C flour, 1t baking powder, 1/2t ginger, 2T golden syrup, enough milk to make it a bit sloppy like a cake batter. (not quite 3/4C).
Cream butter & sugar. Add egg syrup & other ingredients. Steam for 1 hour or microwave for 4 mins on High elevated, covered & vented. Serve with custard.

wron, Aug 19, 10:00am
Pretty close to the bottom! Bump

jenna68, Aug 21, 9:15pm
Bumping for more yummy recipes :o)

jenna68, Aug 23, 9:50pm
And again ... :o)

juliewn, Aug 24, 9:43am
If anyone would like to save the pages of a thread have a page of the thread on your screen. . at the top left, click on the word 'File' - then 'Save as' - a box will pop up. . type the name of the thread - use the page number too if you want. . ie: "Steamed Pudding thread 1" or any other name, in the 'File name' part, and at the top of the box, click on the little down arrow at the right end of the 'Save in" box. A range of options will come up. . choose where you want to save the thread to - ie. . to your desktop, so you have it readily accessible. Now click on 'save' at the bottom right of the box, and your computer will take a few moments to save that page of the thread (or any internet page you want to save like this) so you have it readily accessible to read through as and when you want. . Just go to where you've saved it, and click/double click on the name you've used, and it will open for you. . Hope this helps...

juliewn, Sep 3, 3:35pm
Saving. . :-) . .

jenna68, Sep 8, 6:32pm
I'm with maysept. . I made Nigella's one on Father's Day and it is just beautuful, soooo light and soft, I will post it later... :o)

jenna68, Sep 10, 6:17pm
Whoops, forgot, so . . bumping for me to post recipe later :o)

jenna68, Sep 12, 2:33am
Here we go, this pudding is DEVINE! ! ! ! NIGELLA'S STEAMED SYRUP SPONGE... ... ... . SPONGE - 175g very soft unsalted butter plus more for greasing, 175g SR flour, 175g castor sugar, 3 large eggs, zest of one lemon, juice of HALF a lemon, 3 tabs milk. SYRUP BASE/TOPPING - 250g golden syrup, juice of the other half of the lemon. METHOD - Put a large pot with water in on the stove to start boiling. In the whiz, chuck in ALL the sponge ingreds and whiz till smooth adding more milk if necessary to a thick, pouring consistency. Grease basin, put in goldn syrup and stir in juice from the half lemon till well mixed, pour over sponge mix, put on the buttered lid and steam for 2 hours, making sure you keep topping up the water with boiling water now and then. CHECK OUT THE NEXT POST FOR MORE NOTES ON THIS PUDDING... :o)

jenna68, Sep 12, 2:37am
I did things a bit differently... . I just used normal salted butter. I used normal sugar. I used normal flour PLUS 4 LEVEL TSPS BAK POWDER. Mine needed about 6 tabs of milk. I think the 250gof G. Syrup is too much, next time, I would try 200g and the same amount of lemon. My basin does not have a lid so I covered it with gladwrap and pierced holes in it and steamed as normal and despite all the changes I made, it was the yummiest steamed pud I have tried, def a keeper lol:o)

jenna68, Sep 12, 7:11am
Bumpin for a few other's looking for the above pud:o)

snowflake11, Sep 12, 9:48am
If no lid for pudding basin Mum used to use butter paper and lunchwrap tied with string.

jenna68, Sep 16, 6:36pm
Well, I tried it again with. . 200g of the GSyrup and it wasn't as nice, silly me trying to alter a Nigella Lawson recipe - DUH! Would stick to the 250g, somehow, it just 'works', still was very yum tho'! :o)

jenna68, Sep 19, 9:15pm
bump :o)

jenna68, Sep 22, 6:53pm
up it goes! :o)

vashti, Sep 24, 7:25am
Thanks jenna68 I made your Nanas steamed pudding tonight. I had my doubts about it, I have never made a pudding that way before but it was really nice and so easy, also very forgiving a couple of ingredients I didn't measure and it still came out well. I'll be making this again.

jenna68, Sep 24, 6:20pm
]... ]

juliewn, Sep 27, 11:28am
Bumping for Feespirit

jenna68, Oct 2, 4:28pm
'... '

juliewn, Oct 6, 2:00pm
Hi Tracey. . :-) and bumping to retain this wonderful thread. .

kokopuff, Oct 9, 4:30am
Golden Steamed Pudding I found this recipe in the Good New Zealand Food 2 book.
60g butter
1/4 C sugar
1 Egg
1 C Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 C milk
4 Tbls golden syrup
Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then beat in egg until throughly blended. Sift flour and baking powder, add alternately with the milk.
Place golden syrup in the bottom of a greased 4-Cup pudding basin. Cover basin securely with foil or a lid, stand on a saucer in a saucepan of boiling water. The water should come no more than two thirds up the basin. Place lid on saucepan. Boil steadily for 1 hour 45min. ( Add more water if necessary during cooking)
Turn on to a serving plate so golden is on top. Serve with cream or custard. Serves 4 or 5.