Marae steamed pudding

free-h-oldies, Dec 11, 2:21am
can someone please post a recipe for the wonderful steamed puddings they serve on the Marae using burnt sugar my husband has requested one for his Xmas dessert

tahnasha, Dec 11, 2:24am
Yum, I'd be interested as well.My mother-in-law passed away recently and I never got her recipe.She used to make them in a bag.

jmma, Dec 11, 2:37am

245sam, Dec 11, 2:42am
free-h-oldies, have a look at:-

http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/forum/read.php!3,39624,page=1

Scroll down to hoana's posting of a recipe for Burnt Sugar Pudding.:-))

nativewun, Dec 11, 4:25am
Mmmm, yummy!. Load it up with cream AND custard, mean as. I know our nannies one but not by the proper measurements. Just wing it and use my eyes to gauge things out, lol.

free-h-oldies, Dec 11, 4:57am
I think I will just have to make one of these maybe tonight, can it also be put into a floured cloth and boiled, I remember the ladies also cooking the puddings this way.thankyou all so much

free-h-oldies, Dec 11, 4:59am
x1
sorry jmma I forgot to look at your one thankyou

nativewun, Dec 11, 5:37am
Yep, it sure can. Wet a clean cotton cloth, lay it into another bowl where you're mixture will go into. Shake some flour onto the cloth with that sprinkle thing. Pour your mixture in and then tie it all up. At the same time, you have to wiggle the mix around so it's all even otherwise you end up with a wonky pudding, lol. So yeah, tie it all up super, super tight so the water doesn't get in, throw that into the pot and you're done.

nativewun, Dec 11, 5:37am
Yep, it sure can. Wet a clean cotton cloth, lay it into another bowl where you're mixture will go into. Shake some flour onto the cloth with that **sprinkle thing**. Pour your mixture in and then tie it all up. At the same time, you have to wiggle the mix around so it's all even otherwise you end up with a wonky pudding, lol. So yeah, tie it all up super, super tight so the water doesn't get in, throw that into the pot and you're done.

eta: the stars ** means the sifter, lol. Had a mind blank on the name and went all hori with it, haha.

griffo4, Dec 11, 8:16am
Nativewun sorry to ask a dumb ! but do you mean put the pudding in a wet cloth tie it up and throw the pud in wrapped in towel and not cooked in a bowl with lid over it!
lf it is as l am thinking does the pud touch the bottom of the pot
Bit tired so brain not working very well l always remember mum using a steam pudding bowl so a bit confused

nativewun, Dec 11, 11:42am
Lol, sorry griffo4, I'm way better at explaining things by showing how it's done, not saying it. I'll do a walkthrough in my head and literally type out what we do.

*All on bench ready to go: three arm length string, flour, pudding mixture, bowl.
Pot of boiling water on the stove. Mutton cloth (stockinette/cotton cloth) gets dunked into the hot water for one minute and half. Rubber gloves on, pull the cloth out with tongs and squeeze out water. Lay open the hot cloth on the bench and pat/sprinkle the flour on. Bit more flour goes on in the middle where the base of the pudding will be.

Mixture goes onto the cloth, mold into the dome shape using bowl or hands. Then wrap it all up by pulling the cloth up to the center ontop. Tie it up watertight right above the mixture, get in real close. Re-mold the pudding into a dome again. Make loops out of the leftover string from knot. It's ready to go in the pot.

The pudding does have to stay off the base of the pot and there are heaps of ways to do it. *Try and rig it up so that it hangs from the pot handles using the string loops. *Put a cake stand and a cake tin base on the bottom of the pot and sit the pudding ontop. That way is a two-man job, one to set it up and hold it down while the other person drops the cake onto the base. *Or, if you've got the real gears, one of those tins that are heatproof. That goes on the bottom of the pot, cake goes onto it. Heaps of ways to do it. Just as long as the cake isn't sitting on the direct heat, it'll be sweet.

Anyway, work out how you're going to set it up to cook. The pot of water should be at a medium boil, so it's rolling but not hardcore. Slowly drop in the pudding by using tongs through the string loop. Chuck the lid on and that's it!, lol.
From then on, keep an eye on the water as it has to be above the cake always. When it's cooked, you hook the loop string onto your tongs pull it out into the holey pot. Drain it off a bit and then peel off the cloth really carefully. Somehow flip it over and take the cloth off the bottom without wrecking the cake. Now you're really all done. Just let it sit for awhile to cool down and blacken up a bit. Sounds like heaps of work but it's way better than forever trying to bang it out of those tins!.

griffo4, Dec 11, 8:47pm
Thanks for that walk through nativewun it is clear to me now and l will give it a go after the Christmas madness

rubyjane11, Dec 11, 9:48pm
even though you tie it tightly wouldnt you have to leave a little room at the top as it must expand as its cooking.