My vege soup seems to lack flavour, i load

Page 3 / 4
jcsolgier, Jul 27, 2:58am
The whole "if it has meat in it, it's not vegetable soup" is classic. OP wanted suggestions to improve flavor and meat certainly does this. I put onions, garlic, celery in my chicken soup, but it's still chicken soup. The name implies the main ingredient, there is no need to get worked up about such a minor detail, all my vegetarian friends know it is reasonable to check if soup has meat in it when they are buying it - how many people use chicken stock for vege soup?

jbsouthland, Jul 27, 4:45am
Kings vege soup mix...silverbeet,onion,carrots-
,4 chicken drumsticks....slow cooked...lovely meal with crusty bread....I call it Vege Soup....

vintagekitty, Jul 27, 5:59am
oh elliehen, that is so so foul. Yuck, yuck. Poor cats

cookessentials, Jul 27, 8:00am
yes, to iimprove flavour of a vegetable soup, not a meat and vegetable soup and I think they already have if you check their poist above.
Nothing "classic" about it.

jcsolgier, Jul 27, 8:15am
"Classic" as in hilarious about how pendantic and worked up people get over such an insignificant detail. OP wants suggestions to improve soup flavour - people offer kind suggestions, pendantic police start jumping up and down about names of soup and contents. It really had me in stitches.

jbsouthland, Jul 27, 8:26am
Totally agree... life is short....enjoy !

ferita, Jul 27, 9:14am
As a vegetarian I find it offensive that you feel it is being pedantic to insist that vegetable soup not be meat based. If you want meat in your soup add meat but do not call it vegetable soup.

Your attitude is the kind of ignorant attitude that vegetarians have to face all the time. "Just pick the meat out" etc..

jcsolgier, Jul 27, 9:38am
I am sorry if that is the impression I gave you, I have friends who are vegetarian and they usually ask if soups etc are vegetarian in case they have been made with chicken stock.
The original statement that was jumped all over was:
"Are you specifically wanting only plant material in your soup. The addition of some bacon bones, a bacon hock, browned shin, or chicken bones (which can be taken out after cooking), all add flavour to vege soup." To me, this seemed perfectly sensitive, and was simply a suggestion that OP could take or leave, yet was jumped all over. I would never tell anyone who did not eat meat to 'pick out the meat'.

jcsolgier, Jul 27, 9:41am
For example, the NZ womans weekly vegetable soup is made from a meat base:
http://www.nzwomansweekly.co.nz/food/recipes/vegetable-soup/story/3797886/
And all of the half dozen recipes I clicked on when searching "Vegetable soup" on google were made with a meat stock, or meat bones.

kinna54, Jul 27, 10:03am
No one has mentioned good old soup mix. i.e. lentils, split peas etc, and pearl barley. the secret to adding strength thickness and flavour. (and when I say soup mix I mean the good old fashioned mix, not the stuff with the powdered stock added.) All vege soups need a good stock, and ferita if you want to be picky and have no meat or bone stock; are vegan or muslim, then you still need to add a good vege stock. The addition of swede, parsnip and kumara add flavour to vege soup as well.
Personally I don't care too much about the name, you can call it meat, bone and barley vege soup if you like, (or Jeosophat Brown if you like, whatever floats your boat) but I make my soup to my individual taste, with a honey cured bacon hock, can't beat it!

castlerea, Jul 27, 10:38am
Just want to brag about the beautiful bacon hock & vegetable soup I made today.delicious!

charlieb2, Jul 27, 10:45am
I've had the same problem recently simber. so will try some of the tips here. might even try the meat bone for my vege soup. *gasps with horror* lol

elliehen, Jul 27, 10:49am
But in this culture some people eat their pet lambs, goats and pigs...not too dissimilar??You could equally say poor little lambs...

ferita, Jul 27, 10:44pm
Yes, it must be correct if its in the womens weekly

jcsolgier, Jul 27, 10:47pm
No, I don't agree. It is an example of how the name "Vegetable Soup" Does NOT mean "vegetarian soup" Are you really getting this worked up over something so trivial? surely you check that dishes you eat that you have not made are vegetarian despite the naming?

jcsolgier, Jul 28, 2:58am
The whole "if it has meat in it, it's not vegetable soup" is classic. OP wanted suggestions to improve flavor and meat certainly does this. I put onions, garlic, celery in my chicken soup, but it's still chicken soup. The name implies the main ingredient, there is no need to get worked up about such a minor detail, all my vegetarian friends know it is reasonable to check if soup has meat in it when they are buying it - how many people use chicken stock for vege soup!

jbsouthland, Jul 28, 4:45am
Kings vege soup mix.silverbeet,onion,carrots-
,4 chicken drumsticks.slow cooked.lovely meal with crusty bread.I call it Vege Soup.

jbsouthland, Jul 28, 8:26am
Totally agree. life is short.enjoy !

ferita, Jul 28, 9:14am
As a vegetarian I find it offensive that you feel it is being pedantic to insist that vegetable soup not be meat based. If you want meat in your soup add meat but do not call it vegetable soup.

Your attitude is the kind of ignorant attitude that vegetarians have to face all the time. "Just pick the meat out" etc.

jcsolgier, Jul 28, 9:38am
I am sorry if that is the impression I gave you, I have friends who are vegetarian and they usually ask if soups etc are vegetarian in case they have been made with chicken stock or meat.
The original statement that was jumped all over was:
"Are you specifically wanting only plant material in your soup. The addition of some bacon bones, a bacon hock, browned shin, or chicken bones (which can be taken out after cooking), all add flavour to vege soup." To me, this seemed perfectly sensitive, and was simply a suggestion that OP could take or leave, yet was jumped all over. I would never tell anyone who did not eat meat to 'pick out the meat'.

elliehen, Jul 28, 10:49am
But in this culture some people eat their pet lambs, goats and pigs.not too dissimilar!You could equally say poor little lambs.

jcsolgier, Jul 28, 10:47pm
No, I don't agree. It is an example of how the name "Vegetable Soup" Does NOT mean "vegetarian soup" Are you really getting this worked up over something so trivial! surely you check that dishes you eat that you have not made are vegetarian despite the naming!

buzzy110, Jul 28, 10:56pm
My thoughts exactly. Vegetable soup got its name because it was made with a variety of vegetables, including split peas and, if you stretch the point, barley - which, while not technically a vegetable is still plant material. It has evolved to include vegetable soups without the peas and barley, but still with meat stock at its base and a range of vegetables. That is another reason it got that name. There are more vegetables in the soup than there is meat. It doesn't have the name of any particular vegetables and meat because it can be made using any number or selection of vegetables and any meat and stock that the creator wants. It is the ultimate "anything goes" soup. Spices and herbs can also be added in any quantity and any assortment.

I always find that sauteing the non-starch vegetables helps give a much nicer flavour to my soup and do not need to resort to commercial preparations to make it tasty.

suzanna, Jul 28, 11:09pm
Mmmm sarcasm.........lowest form of wit. The planets must be out of alignment with Mars in retrograde.

cookessentials, Jul 28, 11:41pm
If am am making a vegetable soup ( which is what poster one was making) I would use vegetable stock. If I was making a ham hock and vegetabble soup ( note: not vegetable soup, but ham hock and vegetable) I would use either a vegeatble or a chicken stock. Nothing pedantic about it at all...but of course, you will always get those that trot that one out if and when it suits. Once one particular poster adds their two penniths worth, the thread can take on a life of it's own LOl. Poster #1, glad you got the info you orignally asked for which, if I remember correctly was the whole point of the thread.