My vege soup seems to lack flavour, i load

Page 4 / 4
elliehen, Jul 29, 12:14am
STONE SOUP ~ A TALE

"Some travellers come to a village, carrying nothing more than an empty cooking pot. Upon their arrival, the villagers are unwilling to share any of their food stores with the hungry travellers. The travellers fill the pot with water, drop a large stone in it, and place it over a fire in the village square.

One of the villagers becomes curious and asks what they are doing. The travellers answer that they are making "stone soup", which tastes wonderful, although it still needs a little bit of garnish to improve the flavour, which they are missing. The villager does not mind parting with just a little bit of carrot to help them out, so it gets added to the soup.

Another villager walks by, inquiring about the pot, and the travellers again mention their stone soup which has not reached its full potential yet. The villager hands them a little bit of seasoning to help them out. More and more villagers walk by, each adding another ingredient. Finally, a delicious and nourishing pot of soup is enjoyed by all."

jbsouthland, Jul 29, 7:24am
That reminds me of neighbours that we had back in the 60's.Mum and Dad got two savloys each and the three kids got Savloy soup.We thought it was something special till our Mother quietlyexplained.poor Kids.

ferita, Jul 29, 8:43am
It is good to see you jumping on the anti vegetarian bandwagon as per usual

buzzy110, Jul 29, 10:56pm
My thoughts exactly. Vegetable soup got its name because it was made with a variety of vegetables, including split peas and, if you stretch the point, barley - which, while not technically a vegetable is still plant material. It has evolved to include vegetable soups without the peas and barley, but still with meat stock at its base and a range of vegetables. That is another reason it got that name. There are more vegetables in the soup than there is meat. It doesn't have the name of any particular vegetables and meat because it can be made using any number or selection of vegetables and any meat and stock that the creator wants. It is the ultimate "anything goes" soup. Spices and herbs can also be added in any quantity and any assortment.

I always find that sauteing the non-starch vegetables helps give a much nicer flavour to my soup and do not need to resort to commercial preparations to make it tasty.

suzanna, Jul 29, 11:09pm
Mmmm sarcasm.lowest form of wit. The planets must be out of alignment with Mars in retrograde.

cookessentials, Jul 29, 11:41pm
If am am making a vegetable soup ( which is what poster one was making) I would use vegetable stock. If I was making a ham hock and vegetabble soup ( note: not vegetable soup, but ham hock and vegetable) I would use either a vegeatble or a chicken stock. Nothing pedantic about it at all.but of course, you will always get those that trot that one out if and when it suits. Once one particular poster adds their two penniths worth, the thread can take on a life of it's own LOl. Poster #1, glad you got the info you orignally asked for which, if I remember correctly was the whole point of the thread.

jbsouthland, Jul 30, 7:24am
That reminds me of neighbours that we had back in the 60's.Mum and Dad got two savloys each and the three kids got Savloy soup.We thought it was something special till our Mother quietlyexplained.poor Kids.

pambee, Aug 7, 8:23am
Ferita, I bought some miso paste but have no idea how to use it.

nauru, Aug 8, 10:33am
I made soup today too, mixingchanna dahl, moong dahl, brown lentils, split peas, all of which i soaked first.I dry fried cumin seeds, gd cumin, gd coriander and turmeric before adding chopped onion and some stock. This I added to a mixture of chopped veges including the broccoli stalks and added some soup mix with the rest of the stock to the pan and cooked it on low heat, adding some chopped fresh coriander before serving with Turkish bread and it was delicious.