My vege soup seems to lack flavour, i load

Page 2 / 4
rozke, Jul 24, 12:29pm
my grandmother always added 2 tsps sugar to any vegetablessoups casseroles brings out the flavour of carrots dried peas parsnip swede an d celery

waipawa, Jul 24, 3:38pm
For most people, no. But for vegetarians, very much so.

margyr, Jul 24, 7:18pm
swede, celery, parsnip in my opinion all need to be added to a vege soup.

frances1266, Jul 24, 8:41pm
Onion powder is good for adding flavour to veg soup as is marmite or vegemite.Also needs salt.

simber1, Jul 24, 8:48pm
After taking some advice from here the soup turned out delious thanks guys.Next time i am going to try adding the vegemite to it.Thanks:)

simber1, Jul 24, 10:55pm
it up with carrot, onion, punkin, bit of kumera i had on hand. put in stock powder, bit of salt and it just lacks flovour.Why! please

rainrain1, Jul 24, 10:56pm
Ham hock, chicken carcass, beef bones, mutton hock,( take your choice )lots of yummy vegetables and a few split peas and barley = vegetable soup.But I always keep some King old Fashioned Chicken Soup on hand as a base if I have no bones,,,,,,it tastes great

lx4000, Jul 25, 1:05am
add silverbeet, cabbage and a tin of sweetcorn!

I always keep the cooking water from carrots, silverbeet, cabbage, broc and cauli and freeze down for soup and stews! Why buy stock when you make your own all the time!

I would also add celery and some vegemite. Along with adding salt and pepper to taste!

hestia, Jul 25, 2:08am
The missing ingredient is: long, slow cooking!

cookessentials, Jul 25, 3:21am
It was for vegetable soup as per the heading., if you added a ham hock ( as in my ham hock soup) it woud no longer be called vegetable soup.There is no need to saute' the vegetables for vegetable soup or any soup for that matter. Use good quality ingredienst incuding stock. Use a variety of different ingredients for different tastes and textures and dont forget the seasoning including freshly ground pepper.

ferita, Jul 25, 4:19am
And dont forget salt. even adding a little more salt can greatly impove the flavour of a dish

auburn4, Jul 25, 4:33am
Celery, heaps of it and onion and garlic. Try adding smoked paprika too for a lovely smokey taste. Also add pearl barley and red lentils, they won't alter the flavour much but they will make your soup go heaps further and add fibre.

buzzy110, Jul 25, 4:47am
I wonder if you noticed that cooks had gone out of her way to attack my post specifically! I had not, until then, made any reference to her prior post. Merely gave my opinion on how simber1 could improve her soup.

karenz, Jul 25, 4:47am
I wish there was one stock that you could buy that didn't taste artificial,andjust way too salty, Countdown used to sell a home brand type one (the Aussie equivalent) in a soft pack with a spout which was brilliant,and conistent of (for exapmple) chicken and vegetables, but that has been replaced with a square pack which is just as horrible as the Campbells one. I find a little soy sauce works helps.

ferita, Jul 25, 10:07am
exactly

eastie3, Jul 25, 10:16am
Campbells used to have a wonderful canned chicken stock,I haven't seen it for years.The tetra packs are ok,but not nearly as good.

matakatia, Jul 25, 10:25am
My mother ALWAYS puts in about 2 teaspoons of vegemite. the vege soup I made the other day lacked flavour too but I remembered her 'trick' and it worked wonders. :D

motorbo, Jul 25, 10:28am
BUZZY YOU SIT HERE EVERY DAY READY TO POUNCE u think everyone is out to get you and take every remark to heart and attack people all the time.CHILL.or your gonna have a heart attack

suzanna, Jul 25, 10:41am
I have found that some people do actually call their soup vegetable soup but in fact it does have a ham bone or similar in it. In fact when growing up the standard saturday lunch post netball was vegetable soup cooked with a shin bone but simply called vegetable soup. Does it really matter! It's cold, it's snowing, we are still experiencing aftershocks.soup is hot, flavoursome.vegetable or otherwise.does it really figure in the big picture!

ferita, Jul 26, 8:28am
If it has meat in it, be honest, it is not vegetable soup.

kinna54, Jul 26, 10:03am
No one has mentioned good old soup mix.. i.e. lentils, split peas etc, and pearl barley... the secret to adding strength thickness and flavour. (and when I say soup mix I mean the good old fashioned mix, not the stuff with the powdered stock added.) All vege soups need a good stock, and ferita if you want to be picky and have no meat or bone stock; are vegan or muslim, then you still need to add a good vege stock. The addition of swede, parsnip and kumara add flavour to vege soup as well.
Personally I don't care too much about the name, you can call it meat, bone and barley vege soup if you like, (or Jeosophat Brown if you like, whatever floats your boat) but I make my soup to my individual taste, with a honey cured bacon hock, can't beat it!

castlerea, Jul 26, 10:38am
Just want to brag about the beautiful bacon hock & vegetable soup I made today...delicious!

charlieb2, Jul 26, 10:45am
I've had the same problem recently simber... so will try some of the tips here... might even try the meat bone for my vege soup... *gasps with horror* lol

elliehen, Jul 26, 10:55am

next-to-normal, Jul 26, 3:39pm
cream, also smoke mutton is great in soup