Page 1 / 2
janny3, Jun 2, 1:39pm
Potato dumplings.
1 cup cold mashed potatoes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
salt and pepper (to taste)

DIRECTIONS:

In a bowl, mix all the ingredients; until it forms a stiff dough. Roll out dough on a floured board (as thick or as thin as you like). Cut into about 2-inch squares. They're that simple.

To cook these dumplings you have a couple of choices:

1: Drop them into boiling salted water. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain and serve with your favorite sauce as a main course.

2: Drop them into boiling stew or soup (approximately 2 quarts of stew or soup). Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. These are a great added bonus to any soup.

Or add enough liquid to produce a loose mashed potato consistency.Drop spoonfuls into boiling salted water, soup, or stews.

kob, Jun 3, 3:11am
you can make like a boston bun out of them as well, and its delicious will hunt out the recipe if your interested

dollmakernz, Jun 3, 3:58am
Sally Lunn
1c mashed potato
½c sugar
Mix together until sloppy.
Add
2c self raising flour
2tsp baking powder
¼tsp salt
Sultanas
¼-½c milk

Bake 25mins at 180ºc
Ice once cooled

rosiemoodle, Jul 22, 1:34am
Any bright ideas?

smiggles15, Jul 22, 1:37am
Potato cakes. I made these a few weeks ago and they were yum! I'll google and see if I can find the link :-) or freeze it and keep for next time you are making a potato topped pie.

smiggles15, Jul 22, 1:42am
http://busycooks.about.com/od/sidedishrecipes/r/potatopatties.htm

Here is the link. You MUST add half cup of flour.

I've also made these with mashed up broccoli mixed in with the potato - my 2 year old loved them. Would be so yum with bacon and eggs for breakie or light dinner.

rosiemoodle, Jul 22, 1:43am
thanks found some

asue, Jul 22, 1:48am
I make pinwheel savouries.A sheet of pastry rolled out, spread with chopped onion, bacon/ham, grated cheese, season well. Roll up like a jam roll, and slice thinly. Cook @ 200 for 10-15 mins til cooked.Always go down a treat if taken for a plate anywhere.

lx4000, Jul 22, 2:36am
fry in butter and serve with sausages, tomatoes and egg etc.

mash and put on top of stew and mince with a bit of grated cheese.

add to meatballs instead of breadcrumbs.

add to toasted sandwiches.

rosiemoodle, Jul 22, 3:12am
thanksgreat ideas

elliehen, Jul 22, 3:26am
fisher wrote:

Mashed Potatoes
My Favourite Cut up a small onion and dice finely. Place raw onions in spuds when mashing..

(a) Add half a pkt of maggi onion soup to the potatoes, mash as usual then add 1 tbsp of whole grain mustard and mix thru.
(b) Try olive oil and crushed garlic through your mashed potato instead of butter and milk.
(c) Grated tasty cheese and diced raw onion in mashed potatoes for tasty difference. Or use 2 spring onions.
(d) Boil a good size piece of pumpkin with the potatoes.. Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(e) Boil some kumara with the potatoes.. Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(f) Add silver beet half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Then mash all together..
(g) Add cabbage half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Add black pepper and then mash all together... Ideal with corn beef and mustard sauce..
(h) Add 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley while mashing.
(i) Add 2 tbsp of sundried tomatoes and 2 tbsp of chopped basil.
(j) Add 2 rashers of chopped cooked bacon and a dash of tabasco sauce...
(k) Add 1 ~ 2 tbsp each of Thai green curry paste and chopped parsley..

fisher's recommendations for variations on mashed potatoes...

...suitable for the pinwheels.

ellie04, Jul 22, 5:08am
Also your own potato pom poms, make little balls, roll in egg and bread crumbs and fry in a little oil/butter!

lythande1, Jul 22, 5:34am
Nah, fry in bacon fat.Mmmmm.

kuaka, Jul 22, 8:48am
Depending on how much left over spuds you have, they make a really nice addition to toasted sandwiches.Simply spread a layer on one of the slices of bread before adding the rest of the fillings.

firemansgirl, Jul 22, 8:55am
If you have a bit of time, a muffin tray, a sheet of pastry, make some savoury mince, and top with mashed potato. Teeny potato top pies!! Yummy.

motorbo, Jul 22, 8:58am
make tims lemon trickle mash cake...gluten free and delish!!!! google the recipe

rosiemoodle, Jul 23, 1:34am
Any bright ideas!

smiggles15, Jul 23, 1:37am
Potato cakes. I made these a few weeks ago and they were yum! I'll google and see if I can find the link :-) or freeze it and keep for next time you are making a potato topped pie.

smiggles15, Jul 23, 1:42am
http://busycooks.about.com/od/sidedishrecipes/r/potatopatties.htm

Here is the link. You MUST add half cup of flour.

I've also made these with mashed up broccoli mixed in with the potato - my 2 year old loved them. Would be so yum with bacon and eggs for breakie or light dinner.

elliehen, Jul 23, 3:26am
fisher wrote:

Mashed Potatoes
My Favourite Cut up a small onion and dice finely. Place raw onions in spuds when mashing.

(a) Add half a pkt of maggi onion soup to the potatoes, mash as usual then add 1 tbsp of whole grain mustard and mix thru.
(b) Try olive oil and crushed garlic through your mashed potato instead of butter and milk.
(c) Grated tasty cheese and diced raw onion in mashed potatoes for tasty difference. Or use 2 spring onions.
(d) Boil a good size piece of pumpkin with the potatoes. Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(e) Boil some kumara with the potatoes. Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(f) Add silver beet half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Then mash all together.
(g) Add cabbage half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Add black pepper and then mash all together. Ideal with corn beef and mustard sauce.
(h) Add 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley while mashing.
(i) Add 2 tbsp of sundried tomatoes and 2 tbsp of chopped basil.
(j) Add 2 rashers of chopped cooked bacon and a dash of tabasco sauce.
(k) Add 1 ~ 2 tbsp each of Thai green curry paste and chopped parsley.

fisher's recommendations for variations on mashed potatoes.

.suitable for the pinwheels.

gypsy61, Jul 23, 5:15am
This sounds weird but is really yum!

Potatoe Loaf

3/4 Cup Sugar1 Cup Mashed Potatoe
2 Cups Self Raising Flour1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup SultanasAbout 1/4 Cup Milk

Cream butter,sugar and potatoes together.Add sifted flour,salt mix well,
Stir in sultanas add milk to mix to a smooth firm dough.
Place on oven tray shaping into a loaf.{one ot two}
Bake for25 to 30 minutes at about 180

Cool then ice with.
1 Tablespoon Butter3/4 Cups Icing Sugar
About 1 1/2 Tablespoons of hot waterCoconut.
Soften butter add icing sugar,water mix well.Ice loaf then sprinkle with coconut.

My mum use to put food colouring in the icing sometimes to make it look more interesting.

rosiemoodle, Jul 23, 6:04am
thanks for the great ideas hubby fried it up for breakfast before I got to make any...will save them for next time,,,

rosiemoodle, Jul 23, 6:07am
thanks this reminds me of a loaf mynana used to make..

samboy, Jul 23, 8:19am
bubble and squeak

roseann48, Jul 23, 8:53am
I mix in an egg & put scoop fulls on to a tray & freeze (free flow). When frozen pack into snap lock bag . Can also add chopped onion , cooked chopped bacon, grated cheese etc.