Truffles using mashed potato

goldilocks77, Dec 9, 12:15am
When my kids were younger I had a recipe for truffles which used mashed potato, it came from a very old cook book.Does anyone have this recipe. TIA

margyr, Dec 9, 4:20am
this intrigued me so i went googling; Rum Truffles
Makes about 16

one medium (4oz/100g) potato
8oz/200g dark chocolate
8oz/200g icing sugar
2tbsp dark rum
sugar sprinkles to decorate

Peel and chop the potato, and steam or boil until cooked through.

Meanwhile, melt the chocolate (I have a special chocolate-melting machine, but a small bowl over a pan of boiling water will do fine).

Mash the potato in a mixing bowl, then mix in the melted chocolate. Add the rum, and stir until combined.

Add the icing sugar, a little at a time, and gradually combine into the potato/chocolate mixture. It will still be quite wet at this stage.

Put the bowl in the fridge for half an hour.

When you take it out again, it should have firmed up. Give it a stir to soften it up again.

Roll into small balls using your fingertips (the warmth of your hands will soften the mixture again, to make nice round shapes).

Roll the truffles in sugar sprinkles, and arrange on a plate. Chill in the fridge for a few minutes more before eating.

nik12, Dec 9, 5:13am
For some reason that just doesn't appeal to me - wish you could send me one when you make them.

uli, Oct 10, 10:57am
Sounds like one of the old war recipes. Probably not bad - but I wouldn't think it would keep beyond a day.
Icing sugar and potato would make a nice rewana in no time if left out of the fridge for any length of time in summer.