Is rice fattening? and cous cous?

Page 2 / 3
buzzy110, Jul 16, 5:42am
I must correct you there. I read excellent, science based nutrition books based on my womanly needs and requirements.

knowsley, Jul 16, 5:49am
Obviously not if you were not aware what happens to ingested fat. I'm guessing that the books your "womanly needs" are catered for are by Mills and Boon?

buzzy110, Jul 16, 5:57am
What a wit you are - not. Maybe your scientific books consist of Hustler, Playboy and Ian Fleming's male fantasies.

earthangel4, Jul 16, 7:23am
I agree with you,cutting portions work for me.

wasgonna, Jul 16, 7:39am
The original message said "boiled rice" and there is no way it is fattening unless you eat a shipping container full each sitting. As for your science based nutrition books do you not realise that the scientists are giving grants by these nutrition organisations to study and come up with the answers they want otherwise they wouldn't hire them ... or is that a little bit over your head.

knowsley, Jul 16, 7:51am
I think her head is often in a place where there is no natural sunlight in which to read,,,

hestia, Jul 16, 7:57am
The diet of the Chinese, an ever-changing story.

frogiez, Jul 16, 9:09am
Try cutting your portions and increase your fibre. I use half white and half brown rice because brown rice has more fibre.I dont like brown rice by itself but half and half is good.

elliehen, Jul 16, 9:38am
ashanti, enjoy your rice AND your couscous :)

There are three rules to keeping intelligent account of your food intake:
1. Portion Control
2. Portion Control
3. Portion Control

schnauzer11, Jul 16, 1:19pm
Children,children!!You guys know who you are,so stop vying with each other for superiority,when the enquirer needs helpful answers,not you lot giving each other a bit of biffo!

alewis, Jul 16, 2:01pm
hey both are fine but in moderation

if you were doing weight watchers they are a small cup of each I think,

food in excercise out what you put into your mouth has to balance what goes out naturally or by excercise, I think the latest WW are starting to do a lot more if you walk for xxx then you can eat xxx I know people that have got the excerise bug and run run run and can eat whatever they like, but they are burning loads every day.

ferita, Jul 16, 7:47pm
I doubt that

beaker59, Jul 16, 11:55pm
Weight gain is about carories in vs calories used the balance is weight gain or loss. Only way to change the situation is to reduce intake and/or increase usage so lifestyle change is the answer.

Allot to be said for the low carb aproach if your body suits it, also up the exercise thus take up a new hobby that takes energy like walking or cycling.

Fat is no more or less fattening than carbs on a calorie to calorie basis and the medical profession is now changing its tune on dietary colesterol as well.

buzzy110, Jul 17, 12:47am
You are quite correct schnauzer. I will stop responding to knowsley's provocative and often personally insulting postings that have nothing to do with the thread and everything to do with bullying. I will try and keep to the point.

Thanks for the reinforcement and I loved your use of the word "biffo". Gave me a lovely laugh for the day.

uli, Jul 17, 1:28am
So how much is "not fattening" then - and what is "portion control" - or to be exact - how many grams of raw uncooked rice or couscous is "non fattening" and within your "portion control regime" people?
Let me know!

I have never seen any real figures here - just wishy washy stuff like "portion control" or "use a smaller plate" or "everything in moderation" - how is this going to help the real searchers for truth?

So give us some figures - preferably of course - backed by some research :)

lissy73, Jul 17, 1:54am
As a rough guide to the average person (not an athlete or anything) the same as I said earlier up above. Starchy carbs, the size of your clenched fist.
ETA as given when studying nutrition

kay141, Jul 17, 1:57am
It never fails to amaze me how the words "diet or fattening" in the subject line bring out all the so-called experts. All with their theories, so sure they know it alland contradicting each other. And don't forget the various links to websites of all descriptions, the majority funded by some murky people.

bedazzledjewels, Jul 17, 2:23am
Feel better now Kay?
Got anything constructive to offer poster#1?

elliehen, Jul 17, 2:44am
You don't know what 'portion control' is?? Astounding!

Here's one idea that suits a lot of people.Take your clenched fist- be it large or small - and that's the size of the protein on your plate.Take your open hand, and that's the size of your green vegetables.

Portion control of fat, and starchy carbs, is a very personal and individual decision.For uli, it might be a small pan of duck fat with a piece of kumara sizzling off to the side.For me it would be a lump of butter the size of a thumb print for my potato baked in its jacket.

Hope this helps :-)

BTW anyone who is spending their days obsessively weighing and measuring their food in grams or ounces is wasting a life.

lissy73, Jul 17, 3:05am
Approx portion size of
beef: size of palm, thickness of little finger
chicken: from base of palm to middle knuckle crease, thickness of little finger
fish: whole hand, thickness of little finger

kay141, Jul 17, 3:23am
I was feeling fine before. I do get concerned about the questions andadvice offered on these threads though. Some of it could be very life-threatening.

hestia, Jul 17, 3:37am
Of course, there is always someone who finds fault with everything, and will nit-pick over small details. You will know if your portion control is correct if, on average, you are not gaining weight or fat, or even losing weight if that is your goal.

buzzy110, Jul 17, 6:06am
So you are suggesting that everyone is allowed to ask a question about what is fattening and what isn't, but no one is allowed to answer, based on the probability that answering such questions could be life threatening?

Does this mean you will refrain from answering questions on statins. I've seen you encouraging people to take statins but it is only your view that they are not harmful and possibly life threatening. Others have different ideas.

ashanti asked about rice and cous cous. How stupid do you think she is that she will start to indulge in "life threatening" behaviours based on answers on a message board?

kay141, Jul 17, 7:25am
Once again, you misinterpreted what was said. No one said anything about life-threatening behaviours, I said some of the posts were possibly life-threatening. But you have all the answers, so just carry on.

timetable, Jul 17, 8:05am
sadly this thread again highlights why i hardly come into recipes anymore. used to really enjoy it too but i find it sad to read such 'debate' taking place with the 'tones' attached....
poster one.... for me i love both rice and cous cous and during the summer eat both as salads most weeks and tend to eat portion sizes that would measure about 1 - 2 cups if eating them along but 1 cup if having something else with it like meat/fish or chicken and other veges - but not spud or kumera.in the winter we tend as a family to eat rice instead of spuds usually because we have used up all our own spuds.i love kumera but the boys dont lol so i just make 1 kumera up into salad for me.enjoy your rice and cous cous and life in general... you only have one so make the most of it..... bless ya...