Boxed Chinese Rice risotto

Page 1 / 2
samwise19, Jul 25, 9:41am
Risotto not really a risotto when it's made from the box is it? Anyways I have a box of Chinese flavored rice risotto I want to use. I'm wondering if you could suggest what I could add to it to bulk it up?
Also does anyone have a recipe for Risotto made from scratch and please let me know where to get the best rice for this meal. TYIA :o)

tinky_winky, Jul 25, 9:45am
i add beef strips and stirfry vegies when i make mine

hezwez, Jul 25, 10:00am
When I use the boxed risotto I add heaps and heaps of diced vegies, carrots, courgettes, shredded cabbage etc; to the top of the mix as it simmers... stir through as it 'rests' you can hardly find the rice lol, but it's a quick fix if I'm exhausted and the boys like it.

sarahw2, Jul 25, 10:04am
I add prawns and surimi mix to mine as well as LOADS of diced veges. I serve it with soy sauce, YUM!

busdweller, Jul 25, 10:15am
Add a packet of those high fibre frozen veg and a can of chickpeas ...

motorbo, Jul 25, 8:27pm
when i was young mum used to make the bacon one and serve it will grilled bacon and hot tinned tomaotes - i used to lov it, but as an adult i now know how much fat is in it so i make my own risotto

tarshlove, Jul 25, 11:58pm
What does everyone think of Chicken and pineapple with the Chinese Flavor?

margyr, Jul 26, 12:27am
i use the boxed ones all the time, like the flavours in the roast beef one, but i do add extras, 2 min noodles in the last few minutes of cooking as well as heaps of stir fry vege, cubed pumpkin is also nice in it. and nah they are nothing like a rissotto really more like a fried rice. As for the proper rice just look in your rice section in the supermarket, arborio i think is the one used for proper rissotto.

indy95, Jul 26, 12:27am
Why not, if that's what you like, tarshlove. I haven't used those boxed risottos for years but you can put in anything you like basically, and bulk them up with lots of veges.

susieq9, Jul 26, 3:18am
I add left over roast chicken and any roast veges cut up to the 'rissotto'.

rai5, Jul 26, 9:19am
Add cooked pork or cook some pork bits first, a little vinegar, a bit of apple or a small can of crushed pineapple. Taste it and if necessary a very small amount of brown or raw sugar. Family favourite.

elliehen, Jul 26, 9:24am
Fine to use a packet if it helps a tired parent make time to sit down and read a child a story. I sometimes wonder if some anti-packet people are childless, or child-free...

didee, Feb 18, 3:58am
boxed rice risotto,can this be cooked in a rice cooker some how?and if so what are the water ratios etc thanks in advance

uli, Feb 18, 8:46am
I would rather harvest and cook some proper food together with the kid than feed it packet stuff and then read a story.

seasiders, Feb 18, 8:58am
When we were kids mum put peas and pineapple pieces in about 5 mins before its finished cooking. yum. Too many noodles in it I reckon

ant_sonja, Feb 18, 8:41pm
Here are some results from google for basic risotto recipe - http://www.google.co.nz/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=basic+risotto+recipe&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=kddeTcTbLJT6swOzuKW9CA

Jamie Olivers basic version is nice and I have cooked risotto very similar to him but it will taste & look nothing like the boxed stuff (which is a good thing ;-))

Can't really help with what to add to boxed packet rice sorry - try making it yourself next time - it does take a bit longer as you need to stir frequently but it's very much worth it when you taste the end result - Enjoy :-)

dbab, Feb 18, 10:08pm
Nice too with sliced cooked sausages and extra veges. You can add any left over veges to it.
It's a good basic to take when you go camping.

uli, Feb 19, 4:03am
What is different to just taking the rice camping? Then you can flavour it with whatever you like :) rather than the prescribed chinese wallpaper glue taste.

griffo4, Feb 19, 4:18am
l make my risotto from scratch l use Arborio rice and vegies, prawns, mussels, and chorizo sausages cut into bits
l use the freshly made chorizo sausages but any meat will do, pork sounds nice and chicken and you can add pineapple or whatever you like

Put some oil and butter in a large frypan
Cook an cut up onion in the pan and l add some garlic then when it is cooked l add 1 cup of Arborio rice and let it cook for a minute or two stiring occassionally then add the sausages and then start adding stock a ladle full at a time and add more as it is soaked up stirring while you do it but you don't need to stir all the time
l heat 1ltr of stock in another pot l have been using chicken but vegetable is fine as well
l add the vegies towards the end and seafood
Just before serving l add grated parmesan cheese and black pepper and sometimes tasty cheese
This easily serves 4 adults
Good Luck there are heaps of variations from this

lt is real easy to make and doesn't take too long

cottagerose, Feb 19, 7:17am
I cut up cheese sizzlers, cabbage, corguettes, capsicum and onion and put in it.

tich50, Feb 19, 7:23am
iaddhalfacupofricetomine,cupofmixedvegiesandsomebacon, chicken,beeforprawns.theboylovesit.alsomakemyownfromscratch.....

samwise19, Jul 26, 9:41am
Risotto not really a risotto when it's made from the box is it! Anyways I have a box of Chinese flavored rice risotto I want to use. I'm wondering if you could suggest what I could add to it to bulk it up!
Also does anyone have a recipe for Risotto made from scratch and please let me know where to get the best rice for this meal. TYIA :o)

hezwez, Jul 26, 10:00am
When I use the boxed risotto I add heaps and heaps of diced vegies, carrots, courgettes, shredded cabbage etc; to the top of the mix as it simmers.stir through as it 'rests' you can hardly find the rice lol, but it's a quick fix if I'm exhausted and the boys like it.

sarahw2, Jul 26, 10:04am
I add prawns and surimi mix to mine as well as LOADS of diced veges. I serve it with soy sauce, YUM!

busdweller, Jul 26, 10:15am
Add a packet of those high fibre frozen veg and a can of chickpeas .