Risotto Ideas

addington261, Jul 11, 6:08am
Preserved lemons . chicken and shrimp.

samanya, Jul 11, 7:33am
Risotto is my 'go to' & as long as the rice is well flavoured . I just add whatever i have on hand in the vege dept . plus protein of some kind . last one I made was with a heap of seafood & herbs & a good stock . I wing it mostly & it's always 'comfort food' to me.

sampa, Sep 5, 8:09pm
Risotto is something I've fallen for. Last night I made ham and mushroom and it was lovely so now I'm looking for more flavour combo suggestions that others enjoy to try out as well. I did make a previous one that I added chorizo to but I didn't like that nearly as much as last nights version.

Anybody have any favourites they'd like to suggest?

davidt4, Sep 5, 8:52pm
Asparagus risotto is good - make a stock from the trimmings. Asparagus will be in season in about a month.

Prawn risotto - make a stock from the heads and shells. Mascarpone is better than Parmigiano reggiano in fish/shellfish risotto.

iriegirl, Sep 5, 9:17pm
My favourite is pumpkin & sage mmmmm! I also have a delicious lemon risotto that's served with roasted veges.

moviebug, Sep 5, 9:31pm
These sound nice. I am tempted to make the prawn version for dinner tonight. What other ingredients would I use davidt4?

kristall, Sep 5, 9:44pm
Chicken pieces, Pineapple pieces and Cashew Nuts

davidt4, Sep 5, 10:35pm
Here is a good recipe based on one from George Calombaris

Prawn Risotto
serves 3 - 4

40g butter
1 tab olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 c carnaroli rice
12- 15 raw Australian prawns, peeled, deveined and sliced (keep heads and shells)
salt and pepper
(optional) mascarpone and chervil to serve

Prawn stock:

reserved heads and shells
1 tab olive oil
1 c dry white wine
1 tab tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 golden shallots, roughly chopped
1 litre water

For the stock, put shells and heads in a large pan and drizzle with oil, cook over med heat 15 min, stirring. Remove from heat and deglaze with wine, stirring to loosen any stuck bits. Return pan to medium heat, and tomato paste, garlic, shallots and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 25 min. Strain through fine sieve, keep warm. Discard solids.

Heat half of the butter with the olive oil in a large heavy pan over med-high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook 2 min. Add rice and cook 2 min, stirring, until rice is translucent and lightly toasted. Add 3 c of the hot stock, reduce heat and simmer gently 12 - 14 min until all liquid absorbed.

When rice is tender but still slightly firm in the centre remove pan from heat and add prawns and remaining butter. Check salt. Mix well to achieve a creamy consistency, adding up to ½ c extra stock if necessary. Stand until prawns just cooked.

Serve immediately, with optional spoonful of mascarpone and/or chervil on top.

moviebug, Sep 5, 11:14pm
Thanks davidt4. This looks great. I will make it for Sunday instead of tonight because I don't have carnaroli rice; however I am sure that the Mediterranean Food store will stock it. I will be able to buy the Australian banana prawns, however I am not sure about golden shallots. Is there much difference between golden, and the brown skinned shallots (creamy inside), that I already have? Chervil I grow.

davidt4, Sep 6, 12:11am
Ordinary banana shallots will be fine, or a small red onion will be okay.

moviebug, Sep 6, 1:21am
Thank you. I will let you know how it turns out.

sampa, Sep 6, 2:33am
Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone, they all sound really delicious, I think we'll be becoming much more frequent risotto consumers with all these good ideas. :)

petal1955, Sep 6, 4:18am
Pumpkin and Bacon. Pear and Blue Cheese. Asparagus and Pea

moviebug, Sep 8, 9:51pm
Thank you davidt4. We don't eat grain carbohydrates very often but this was a pleasant change. I did tweak the recipe a little - just to include flavours we enjoy.

davidt4, Sep 8, 11:35pm
Thanks for the feedback. We hardly eat any grains, just rice occasionally, so a risotto is a rare pleasure.

What tweaks did you make to the recipe?

moviebug, Sep 9, 9:51pm
Davidt4. I didn’t tweak it much. I used only three quarters of a cup of rice and I increased the volume of fish stock so I could freeze some. I added fish frames and herbs to the stock, plus a small piece of chopped root ginger, and half a deseeded and sliced medium hot chilli. I also halved, and quickly cooked the banana prawns in butter with a little minced garlic, and stirred them through the finished risotto.
Just before serving I added chopped chives, one deseeded and chopped acid free tomato, and a little Yen Ben lemon zest. I thought about adding a small amount of saffron for colour, but decided not to meddle with the dish any more. I would never have thought of using mascarpone in a risotto, and it was very nice.

dragonzflame, Sep 9, 10:28pm
Mushroom and spinach (if you get some porcini and add the soaking liquid to the stock it'll taste even better), prawn and pea (just frozen peas, add them in at the end and don't forget to stir in lots of mint), leftover roast beef with red wine instead of white, squid and lemon.

sampa, Sep 9, 11:26pm
Thanks dragonzflame, I like all those ideas and I've just ordered some porcini so might give that one a go on the weekend. :)

buzzy110, Sep 10, 12:57am
Same here. I usually flavour ours with scallops.

rarogal, Mar 22, 5:20pm
I had pumpkin, feta, spinach and chicken at lunch last week. It was scrumptious. and gorgeous colours.