Wanting to make risotto for the first time

andi.surf, Mar 1, 10:19pm
Hi there, been wanting to try to make a risotto for ages. Can someone give me their tried and true recipe with measuremnts please. I have done a recipe search but not what I want in there. Also on Ramsey people stuff it up ALOT, Why? Cheers

cinny19, Mar 1, 10:38pm
ok well my way is to put 2 cups of rice and one chopped up red onion in a heavy pan pot with a tablespoon of oil and just lightly brown the rice and then add your mince till thats brown, add 4 cups of beef stock, when the rice is cooked about 20 min, add a cup of stir fry veggies, tin of pineapple and juice and tin of tomatoes, soya sauce, watecher sauce, (sorry not sure of correct spelling for that) Thats how I do mine and the kids love it,

cinny19, Mar 1, 10:39pm
oh and a tin of mushrooms, If using fresh I add them in the last five min of cooking

ant_sonja, Mar 1, 11:05pm
Here is Jamie Olivers basic recipe - http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/risotto/basic-risotto-recipe - it's delicious!

Make sure you use proper risotto rice (Arborio is available at most supermarkets) and add the liquid/s a bit at a time - the trick is to cook it slowly while stirring pretty much non-stop in order to get the typical risotto creaminess.

Once you got the hang of the basic recipe you can get creative and add whatever ingredients you wish :-)

wasgonna, Mar 2, 2:08am
And make sure your stock is hot before adding slowly otherwise the cooking is stop/start and not good for risotto.

cookessentials, Mar 2, 2:11am
A risotto needs to have the hot stock added a ladle at a time and stirred well till it is absorbed by the rice, then another added and so on.

cookessentials, Mar 2, 2:14am
Is there a particular risotto that you like #1?
I do a mushroom and blue cheese as well as an asparagus one as well as a couple of others.

alewis, Mar 2, 3:09am
its the one that you have a glass of wine in one hand and keep spilling it into the saucepan "winks

andi.surf, Mar 2, 5:04am
Hi cookessentials, I have made quite afew of your recipes(pumpkin loaves yummy) . Mushrrom be great , not a blue cheese fan, and love veges and more veges!! Thanks

ruby19, Mar 2, 6:02am
Did anyone watch the foodshop programme a few nights ago, the one based in the viaduct Auckland.the chef on there (the one covered in tat`s) just heat treated the rice then added the stock and cooked until liquid had reduced then added more stock until right! He used to work in a rissotto restaurant in which this is all they cooked.

evorotorua, Mar 2, 7:22am
Ruby19, that's exactly how I make my risotto. Just rice and stock. I make my own chicken stock. Once it's done I can flavour it howeverI like, usually just some grated cheese, salt and pepper. Can add veges, meat, just S & P. Ramsay's normally go wrong because you have to 'love' it while you are cooking it. Stock in hot, a ladle at a time and stir. Takes quite a while to get it done perfectly. I use either arborio or medium grain rice. I have made it using long grain and although it's OK, there is definitely a difference!

tehenga288, Mar 2, 9:34am
Jo Seagar has a really good recipe using arborio rice and baked in the oven.Comes out lovely & creamy

flower-child01, Mar 2, 9:57pm
I used simple jasmin rice, using Jamie technique, and I loved it. Can't wait to experiment more. How can packet risotto be called risotto?

andi.surf, Mar 2, 10:19pm
Hi there, been wanting to try to make a risotto for ages. Can someone give me their tried and true recipe with measuremnts please. I have done a recipe search but not what I want in there. Also on Ramsey people stuff it up ALOT, Why! Cheers

ant_sonja, Mar 2, 11:05pm
Here is Jamie Olivers basic recipe - http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/risotto/basic-risotto-recipe - it's delicious!

Make sure you use proper risotto rice (Arborio is available at most supermarkets) and add the liquid/s a bit at a time - the trick is to cook it slowly while stirring pretty much non-stop in order to get the typical risotto creaminess.

Once you got the hang of the basic recipe you can get creative and add whatever ingredients you wish :-)

cookessentials, Mar 3, 2:14am
Is there a particular risotto that you like #1!
I do a mushroom and blue cheese as well as an asparagus one as well as a couple of others.

andi.surf, Mar 3, 5:04am
Hi cookessentials, I have made quite afew of your recipes(pumpkin loaves yummy) . Mushrrom be great , not a blue cheese fan, and love veges and more veges! Thanks

evorotorua, Mar 3, 7:22am
Ruby19, that's exactly how I make my risotto. Just rice and stock. I make my own chicken stock. Once it's done I can flavour it howeverI like, usually just some grated cheese, salt and pepper. Can add veges, meat, just S & P. Ramsay's normally go wrong because you have to 'love' it while you are cooking it. Stock in hot, a ladle at a time and stir. Takes quite a while to get it done perfectly. I use either arborio or medium grain rice. I have made it using long grain and although it's OK, there is definitely a difference!

flower-child01, Mar 3, 9:57pm
I used simple jasmin rice, using Jamie technique, and I loved it. Can't wait to experiment more. How can packet risotto be called risotto!