veleveting chicken so tender like chinese takeaway

missmad, Mar 29, 3:20am
ok so after last brief discussion on here looked online and so many different ways to do this, some use the baking soda, egg white sherry and then the cornflour as well, so i done it just in cornflour for 10 minutes and it actually came out pretty good, but very tasteless, should i be adding salt or something when i do this and can i add water etc (to make like a brine or something? ) as well or maybe soy to flavour the meat, i want a real quick and easy way to do this as long as it works and is tasty im happy... .

hestia, Mar 29, 4:59am
Yes, you are on the right track. A very basic marinade for any kind of meat for Chinese cooking is cornflour and soy sauce. Approximate quantities: 200 grams of sliced meat, add 1-2 tsps cornflour, 1 1/2 - 2 tsps soy sauce, leave to marinate 15 - 30 mins. You can add salt to this if you want, about 1/4 tsp. Other ingredients which Chinese cooks use are rice wine (Shaoxing wine) and a sprinkle of white pepper.

fisher, Mar 29, 5:04am
just layer your chicken pieces out flat and sprinkle over baking soda. . now toss to coat and leave for 20 mins... place some pieces in your hand and WASH off all of the baking soda and do the rest in batches... pat dry... now add your flavorings salt, herbs, spices, whatever for the dish you want to make. .

cap, Mar 29, 6:10am
I just use egg white and cornflour - I don't actually season it as I then brown it and add a sauce or whatever I am doing with it.

missmad, Mar 29, 10:17pm
ok so what is the difference between the cornflour and then baking soda and if you add an egg to the cornflour does that make a difference as well? reason i wanted a bit of flavour as i added chicken pieces to a to basic soup broth i made and it was a bit tasteless, also having 2 wisdom teeth out soon and need nice soft tasty easy to chew food so im going to have this thing well and truley sorted before then lol, all i will be eating is velveted meat and chicken broth ha ha

missmad, Mar 29, 10:18pm
also the baking soda way with having to do it all in batches and then rinse the meat seems the long way to do it so was wondering if for all the extra effort that way made the meat heaps nicer ro something?

fisher, Mar 30, 2:49am
long way... . ? ? ? few seconds under the tap to rince it off ... onto tea towel, pat dry, done. . next. . about 2 mins of ya life all up:}} . .

buzzy110, Mar 30, 3:10am
How are you getting your teeth pulled missmad. I ask this because I have had my dentist do it and never again. Mouth was painful and swollen for 3-4 days with residual pain for the rest of the week. I have also had a proper surgeon do it and eating was not a problem as the entire process was more or less painless and I could eat steak within hours.

hestia, Mar 30, 5:02am
Have never used baking soda in my cooking, so I cannot tell you about that.

Always slice your meat across the grain, so it is more tender when you eat it. The cornflour gives a smoothness to the meat. If you are putting the meat into a soup, then you can still marinate it in cornflour and soy sauce (but perhaps use a little less soy sauce). Remember, it is a marinade, so leave it to absorb the flavours for a few minutes before cooking.

Using egg also gives smoothness to the meat. It is up to you to decide how you want to cook it. Why not try the different ways of marinating it. After all experimenting is a part of learning how to cook.

missmad, Dec 17, 6:08am
i am going under to have the bottom 2 wisdom teeth out, i am a freak at the dentist no way im going in the chair! anyhow i am more so wanting the best way to make the meat soft so was wondering if one dway done that trick better than another. when i done my chicken in cornflour the other day is was def way more tender.