Chinese red dates

zak410, Jul 5, 9:20am
does anyone out there know where to buy them?

cookessentials, Jul 5, 10:08am
I wish Idid as ILOVE them and I have not seen them in ages. They used to come in a box and then Igot them loose for a while at the supermarket and I have not seen them in ages.

jaybee2003, Jul 5, 11:15am
I have bought them by the box full from Davis Trading in Petone.

bluecalico, Jul 5, 7:46pm
they are delicious... . . used to have them at Christmas when I was a kid... . we loved them... ... never seen them for yonks

zak410, Jul 5, 8:45pm
thanks, looks like they still have them:
http://www.davistrading.co.nz/nonIE.htm

cookessentials, Jul 5, 9:18pm
Jaybee, whereabouts are Davis Trading?

jaybee2003, Jul 5, 10:21pm
Hi Cookie. They are in Te Puni Street, Petone - the wee street running off Jackson St between Kathmandu and Pak'n'Save [or is it a Countdown]. They are food importers with a great range of each product, particularly of Asian foods. Also good for bulk buying too. I can spend hours there, browsing. Pondering at foods that I have no idea what they are or how to use them! You must make a visit there - I am sure you would enjoy also. :-)

cookessentials, Jul 5, 10:47pm
oooh, wish I had known about them prior to last weekend - we headed over the hill to La Bella Italia ( our second home! ) on Sunday, so next time, I will be sure to look out for them. Thanks jaybee.

levintofu, Jul 5, 10:47pm
i get them at my local Chinese grocer they have both the candied and the dried varies...

the dried ones i put in my chrysanthemum tea
or reconstitute with some microwaved honey and water

wildflower, Jul 6, 3:33am
When I worked at a supermarket we had stuff coming in for the bakery etc from Davis Trading all the time, I didn't realize they had a shop to the public to visit. Ta for that!

zak410, Oct 3, 5:47pm
yes, i just find out they also have a shop for the public in Auckland as well.