Where Would We Be Without Condensed Milk?

Page 8 / 10
pgta, Jan 3, 2:45am
Highlander Biscuits

225g butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup Highlander Condensed Milk
2 cups flour
1 tspn baking powder

Cream butter, sugar and Highlander milk together. Add sifted flour and baking powder and mix well. Roll into balls, place on a greased tray and flatten with a fork. Bake at 190 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.

uli, Jan 3, 5:34am
Do you remove the kilt ? ? ?

pgta, Jan 3, 6:15am
You can remove the kilt if using Pam's brand condensed milk but I wouldn't recommend it if using authentic highlander. Could be biting off more than you could chew

elliehen, Jan 3, 7:37am
Bumping for all those much-maligned American cooks, beginning with Julia Child :)

indy95, Jan 3, 9:49am
Well done, pgta ! Excellent response there. Good to see someone else getting into the spirit of things.

beaker59, Jan 3, 10:12am
I was imediately stumped with this recipe because Highlander condensed milk comes in cans not cups so could someone please give me a conversion table for cans to cups? ? ? ? please be quick my family are hungry ad advancing with knives and forks

davidt4, Jan 3, 10:17am
Quick! Can opener and scissors! The reduced cream and onion soup dip will keep them at bay.

buzzy110, Jan 4, 12:13am
Hope you managed to fend off the family beaker. I have hit upon the perfect solution. Steal one average sized sporran from a burly scotsman, measure the butter, sugar, flour and baking powder and tip into the sporran. 1/4 cup of Highlander Condensed Milk is the exact size as the space, less 2cm from the top, left in the sporran. You can easily mix the whole lot up in the sporran by vigourously squeezing the lot, then you can pipe out biscuit sized portions by cutting a wee hole in the bottom of the sporran.

Simple really.

uli, Jan 4, 5:28am
thread of the day:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=123792

davidt4, Jan 4, 5:33am
Fantastic! It makes Recipes look like a model of good taste, literacy and logic. Well done uli!

davidt4, Jan 4, 5:37am
How right you were buzzy110.

uli, Jan 4, 6:10am
Her crystal ball seems to be working ok :)

buzzy110, Jan 4, 6:59am
"i like microwaving a cup of pineapple lumps and pouring it over some vanilla ice-cream. . try it. . delisimo... . well its no secret now is it. . lolnahzee "

Maybe we should invite the creator of this masterpiece to come into Recipes.

davidt4, Jan 4, 9:25am
No buzzy110 - he or she would just be lost in the crowd.

natalie9, Jan 4, 9:57am
I came across this gem... for those more "cultured" among us...

SWEET BEANS

This is a typical Dominican dish. It is a sort of pudding but not as thick. It is made with Kidney Beans, Yam, Condensed Milk, Raisins and Cinnamon. It sounds terrible but trust me, it is wonderful. This desert has become an Easter/Semana Santa tradition, served during Lent, in the Dominican household.
(Bon Helados also serves up an ice cream version that is wonderful)

Ingredients:

* 2 cups cooked kidney beans/habichuelas rojas
* 2 cups water reserved from the beans
* 1/4 cup of raisins/ciruelas pasas
* 3 cups of evaporated milk/leche evaporada
* 1 cup of coconut milk/leche de coco
* 1 cup sweetened condensed milk/Leche Condensada
* 1/2 lb of sweet potatoes/batatas cooked and mashed
* 1/2 cup of sugar/azucar
* 2 cinnamon sticks/palitos de canela
* 2 tablespoons butter/mantequilla
* 8 to 10 cloves/Clavos dulces
* 1/2 teaspoon salt/sal
* optional
* Cassava bread toasted or milk cookies
* canela casabe tostado o galleticas de leche

Instructions:

* Puree the beanswith a little cooking liquid and then strain.
* Add beans, coconut milk, evaporated milk and bring to a boil
* Lower heat to medium add the Condensed milk, sugar, cinnamon stick, raisins and sweet potatoes
* Keep stirring so it does not stick.
* Add the rest of the ingredients
* Stir until the desired consistency has been reached.
* Serve warm or cold with the cassava bread or float the cookies on top.

"I have been known to enjoy a few bowls before feeling satisfied. This is a treat one will not soon forget. It sounds terrible but it is ever so tasty".
Que Sabroso!

indy95, Jan 4, 9:52pm
I have only just noticed buzzy110's innovative solution to the Highlander biscuit dilemma. I have to say this is a brilliant piece of lateral thinking except for one flaw which will probably prove insurmountable. Show me the " burly Scotsman " who would be willing to give up his beloved sporran without a fight !

elliehen, Jan 5, 8:09am
Nothing beats sitting in tussock on a ridge in Kahurangi National Park sipping from a mug of smoky billy tea with a squeeze of sweetened condensed milk in it... oh yes, and dunking a gingernut :)

uli, Jan 5, 8:56am
Sorry to say that a lot of things would beat that in my life elliehen LOL :)

The sweet beans sound very good to me - however I would use coconut cream for all the condensed milk stuff and up the sugar slightly instead. The Japanese have similar recipes :)

davidt4, Jan 5, 9:17am
And you accuse others of having sad lives... .

elliehen, Jan 5, 10:10am
You must have confused me with another poster - I don't like to engage in personalities, I choose to address the issues.

elliehen, Jan 5, 10:20am
uli, you misrepresent me... poster #1 asked only for favourite ways to use condensed milk, and I obliged, not favourite all-time life experiences ;)

uli, Jan 5, 11:28pm
ahh - that clears it up then :)

buzzy110, Jan 6, 12:33am
My exact words were, "Post your favourite condensed milk recipe here. " I am happy for all favourite recipes to be posted here.

And who knows. One day we may see hordes of people trudging through the tussock in Kahurangi National Park to get a cup of smoky billy tea and a gingernut bikky. DOC may already have plans to licence a vendor to light fires in our beautiful, and easily destroyed by fire, national parks so that everyone can have a chance to enjoy SCM in a breathtakingly glorious and natural habitat.

jaybee2003, Jan 6, 12:57am
Nearly 200 postings in a Your Favourite Condensed Milk recipe here thread, yet no recipe for condensed milk itself! What has this recipe board come to! Packet cake mixes, crushed bought biscuits, gravy and sauce sachets, packet or tinned soup. Highlander, Nestle or Pam's condensed milk... . I wonder if home made tastes better in this case? ? ?
I've never had cause to try this, yet, but - a recipe:

Sweetened Condensed Milk:
1 C skim milk Powder, 1/2 C boiling water, 2/3 C sugar, 3 T butter or margarine. Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Store in refrigerator. Makes just over 400g.

I was quite relieved to discover that in rhyming Liverpool slang, condensed milk is called conny onny. I was reading a book about Liverpudlian family, and the treat of the day was a conny onny butty...

fisher, Jan 6, 1:18am
ohhh . . I feel real sick now... . :}}} especially the conny onny butte . . Kathy might not get any dinner tonight now... and I CAN BLAME YOU ALL... . hoik. . hoik...