Where Would We Be Without Condensed Milk?

Page 1 / 10
buzzy110, Dec 26, 6:03am
Post your favourite condensed milk recipe here.

This versatile product can be used in entrees, mains and desserts. It seems to be absolutely essential for every sort of salad. And where would Christmas be without condensed milk.

I am just shocked that I haven't come across a pavlova recipe with a couple of spoonfuls of it in it.

buzzy110, Dec 26, 6:04am
I'll start the ball rolling:

Boiled Fruit Cake:
1 tin Highlander Sweetened Condensed Milk
1&1/4 cups Water
275g Butter
1/&1/2 cups Sultanas
1&3/4 cups Curranta
1/4 cup chopped Glace Cherries
3/4 cup chopped Mixed Peel
2&1/2 cups flour
3/4 tspns Baking Soda
1/4 tspn Salt
Unblanched Almonds
Method:
Grease and paper-lin the sides and bottom of a 22cm round cake tin
In a saucepan heat together the Condensed Milk, Water, Butter, Sultanas, Currants, Cherries & Peel. Boil 3 minutes and cool
Sift Flour, Baking Soda and Salt Mix into the cold fruit mixture
Put into prepared tin
Arrange Almonds on top
Bake @ 160dC for 2 hours
Allow to cool in tin.
NOTE: Do not be tempted to add the flour, etc till the fruit mixture has completely cooled as that will change the texture of the flour and your cake will turn out all gluggy and rubbery.

buzzy110, Dec 26, 6:06am
Posted by nettie 14
Easy Seafood Sauce - 5 Tbsp condensed milk, 1 Tbsp tomato sauce, 1Tbsp worchester sauce, 1Tbsp lemon juice. Nice over pasta shells with seafood.

male_timaru, Dec 26, 6:46am
Crikey where do i start! ! ! !

I've got about 12 recipes with the old condensed milk in it! ! ! lol

Sure as hell not writing them all up on here! lolThey're all DECADENT desserts too! ! !

davidt4, Dec 26, 7:00am
Happy New year buzzy100 ! . I think your sarcasm is too subtle here... .

jessie981, Dec 26, 8:25am
And I'll go for the Health side. Good for curing diarrhoea!

uli, Dec 26, 9:01am
Buzzy's Delight - All Day Macaroni & Cheese (Crockpot)

Ingredients:

* 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
* 1 (12 ounces) can evaporated milk
* 1-1/2 cups milk
* 2 eggs
* 4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Preparation:
Place the cooked macaroni in a slow cooker that has been coated with nonstick vegetable spray. Add the evaporated milk, milk, eggs, and 3 cups of the Cheddar cheese. Mix well. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese, then cover and cook on the Low setting for 5 to 6 hours, or until the mixture is firm and golden around the edges. Do not remove the cover or stir until the macaroni has finished cooking.

nfh1, Dec 26, 9:02am
LOL buzzy100 -

you now have a couple more recipes to add to your collection!

uli, Dec 26, 9:09am
I am sure I find some more for you buzzy - high grain high sugar is your favourite isn't it? Hmmm - let me look through my collection ... . :)

skin1235, Dec 26, 9:19am
add a half a cup of melted butter to a packet of crushed superwine biscuits, rolled mixture into a cake tin to form a lining for - ( better if placed in freezer for 1/2 an hour to set the biscuit harder)

- mix in a bowl a tin of condensed milk, a simialr sized tin of drained crushed pineapple and a half a cup of lemon juice, mix well and pour into the biscuit lined cake tin

leave in the fridge to gel and set for a few hours

best cheesecake without baking ever

davidt4, Dec 26, 9:25am
Oh buzzy110 what have you done!

maynard9, Dec 27, 12:09am
"What would I be without C M" - I would be THINNER... ... ... ... ... ... I use it far too often, for 'things I shouldn't" and then very shamefully sneak some spoonfuls out of the tin in fridge if any left over. Shocking habit. Perhaps that should be my New Year's Resolution.

rainrain1, Dec 27, 12:14am
you can glue your broken hearth tiles with condensed milk... it sets rock hard

darlingmole, Dec 27, 12:50am
I agree with you davidt4 ~ it's been kinda lost on here that humour! But I like the last posting about using it as cement ... now THAT'S thinking outside the square eh?

uli, Dec 27, 1:32am
darlingmole come on now - buzzy wants lovely recipes and you are not contributing. Look at the nice recipe I posted :)

waterlilies, Dec 27, 1:36am
I too would be a few kilos lighter without condensed milk but man it's yummo!

nfh1, Dec 27, 1:38am
I am sure you could find more though, sort of a three course meal from one can.

davidt4, Dec 27, 1:49am
1. Prawn cocktail with Highlander mayonnaise plus tomato sauce
2. Ham and salad with Highlander salad cream, jellied beetroot with a SCM drizzle
3. Ambrosia with chocolate chips and caramel SCM

Not very imaginative I know, but it's a start...

darlingmole, Dec 27, 2:09am
Ok ~ this is my one and ONLY recipe with sweetened condensed milk (bearing in mind I don't have a sweet tooth and this the afore mentioned is sickly sweet and actually to be avoided).

Coconut Slice ...
1 pcket malt biscuits, crushed
100 g melted butter
(mix together and place in oven proof dish - small lasagne ideal)

1 tin sweetend condensed milk
1 C dessicated coconut
(mix together then pour into the base)

Bake @ 180 deg for 20 mins or until golden.

By the way uli ~ lovely as your mac'n'cheese recipe looks it didn't actually contain the sweetend condensed milk;-)

nfh1, Dec 27, 2:11am
I may just give it a miss.

I usually salivate over your recipes but sadly these suggestions just missed the mark. But not bad for a first attempt! ! !

uli, Dec 27, 2:15am
I know - I missed the target by miles. But I am sure I will find something more suitable for poor buzzy soon.
I see davidt4 is getting into the spirit of things too. I wonder if I could make the lovely NZ "mayo" which calls for sweetened condensed milk and vinegar - to serve with my homemade gravlax tonight LOLOL ;)

davidt4, Dec 27, 4:38am
uli don't you dare!

kirinesha, Dec 27, 4:50am
I wonder if you can make a Thai red curry with CM?

davidt4, Dec 27, 5:27am
Brilliant idea! Maybe tomato sauce instead of red curry paste?

But I must confess to a huge weakness for Thai, Lao and Vietnamese coffee served with SCM (it sits in a delicious pool at the bottom of the glass).

buzzy110, Dec 27, 10:17pm
These recipes are fabulous. I especially liked the cement subsitute but what do you do about the ants? Won't they come and take it all away before it sets?