Where Would We Be Without Condensed Milk?

Page 2 / 10
buzzy110, Dec 27, 10:19pm
Uli we have guests from America coming for dinner tonight. I am going to quickly put on your lovely macaroni cheese in the crock pot. Yesterday we went and caught a dozen crayfish and 40 scallops. I can see a fresh crayfish salad coming up with the wonderful salad dressing. I wonder how the salad would go if I added tinned pineapple? Oooh. Yum yum. I'm sure to be the hostess with the mostest.

buzzy110, Dec 27, 10:23pm
Doesn't anyone have a nice fritter or batter recipe using condensed milk? The scallops would go beautifully in such a mix I think.

Actually I haven't saved any salad dressing recipes for coleslaw. Can anyone post the exact recipe. I will be serving up a freshly picked mixed lettuce mescalin salad with bundles of rocket leaves. I think a thin version of that recipe would set off the rocket nicely. Maybe I could thin it down with a bottle of ginger ale or lemonade maybe?

davidt4, Dec 27, 10:26pm
No, no, no buzzy... save the lemonade for scones! In fact how about lemonade scones made with SCM instead of cream?

buzzy110, Dec 27, 10:28pm
Oh this is so yum. I could serve up a combined entree, main, vegetable course and dessert all at once. I could have the entire meal done and dusted in one simple course.

How about fresh grated cabbage, carrots and red onion with grapes and orange slices. I could toss through generous quantities of cooked crayfish and flash fried scallops. Then I could smother with the wonderful condensed milk dressing, sprinkle tinned pineapple pieces and even pineapple lumps on top and serve with some freshly picked beans and broccoli from my garden.

Who wants to come to my place for dinner tonight? There will be a lot of alcohol to drown, ooops did I say drown, no I meant to complement the wonderful and innovative flavours.

All that would be left is the cheese course but I'm sure no-one will want to ruin that meal with cheese anyway.

buzzy110, Dec 27, 10:30pm
Yummo, lemonade scones made with CM. That sounds 'devine'. (sic) You are so innovative david. Who would have thought that you could invent a pure delight like that right off the top of your head?

davidt4, Dec 27, 10:31pm
Don't forget the chocolate chips.

buzzy110, Dec 27, 10:33pm
Oh I'm sure she was trying for humour when suggesting that.

mamaa, Dec 28, 4:35am
Probably one of the oldest receipes I remember for CMis the mayonnaise
CMand add vinegar, and powdered mustard... About a spoonfull of mustard (suppose any mustard would do)... Make to consistency you want with the vinegar... Just stir it all up. I know some very very old people who will only use this mayonnaise on their salads... . Keeps in the fridge for ever and ever

nfh1, Dec 28, 4:51am
But what is Condensed Milk - I mean how does it taste, like milk with sugar or... ... ...

indy95, Dec 28, 4:56am
Oh dear ! Now that I have finally managed to stop laughing long enough to actually post a message I just want to say that I can't decide which would be worse, condensed milk scones or gravadlax adorned with condensed milk dressing. I am still trying to recover from the idea of deep fried condensed milk mentioned by someone in the well-known Bounty Bar Truffles thread. Please keep up the good work everyone !

buzzy110, Dec 28, 5:28am
Homemade Bounty Bars. How could anyone here have forgotten about them. And deep fried bounty bar truffles no less!

davidt4, Dec 28, 5:57am
Don't forget the tim tam truffles with strawberry essence.

buzzy110, Dec 28, 6:17am
I am shocked you haven't met Highlander Condensed Milk yet or its cousin, Highlander Caramel condensed Milk. You haven't lived till you have had at least one salad, preferably one made with the finest seafoods or salad greens, with cm salad dressing. It, apparently, is NZ's favourite manufactured cooking ingredient next door to sugar.

It tastes, umm, well it tastes like umm, pastuerised, heat treated, runny honey, with the same viscosity, only it is a creamy white. It is loved by one and all, up and down the country.

Beware though. It is one of those foods, like brandy or wine, that when you are using it you feel you need to keep tasting it just to be sure it is right for the dish you are cooking. lol

toadfish, Dec 28, 6:36am
For 3 (or more) people who usually deny being rude orcondesending... Wow. . Interesting posts. Each to their own I guess. I still live by a rule I learnt as a child, if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. To be honest I have read a few threads of late and really feel the "spirit" of the message board as it was is lacking in a few of the posters. How dare some of us refuse to omit whole food groups from our diet, use convenience foods or recipes with less than 10 Ingrediants brought fresh that day from the farmers market... . or even how lazy of us not to grow our own... organically of course and even worse... my personal favourite... spell "devine" wrong or worse stilltell us all to "enjoy". I have chosen not to comment up to now, just read the posts & sighed... . and to be honest felt sorry for the "purist" posters... . I have more important things in life to worry about... and the day I make someone feel bad about a question they ask, or a solution someone offers in response to a question, is the day I have some real soul searching to do. So don't expect me to post again in this thread - I try to avoid certain threads/posters but I stumbled on it by mistake as I have 1/2 a can of condensed milk in my fridge left over from a no bake fudge slice (so shoot me). I won't be returning here to read more of what I have just read. But I will leave by wishing everyone a Happy New Year and a Healthy & Happy 2010 JBXXX

nala2, Dec 28, 7:00am
As a challenge-----Chop Chop Chicken--Mr Cheese and Condensed Milk
---You have 30 minutes to show us what you can do. Starting Now.

nala2, Dec 28, 7:01am
One extra point--You are not allowed to use the slow cooker.

davidt4, Dec 28, 7:08am
I surrender!

nfh1, Dec 28, 7:55am
Chop Chop Chicken? ? ?

I think I will give that a miss along with the milk!

uli, Dec 28, 8:10am
Sorry - cannot participate - what is Mr Cheese please ? ?

crails, Dec 28, 9:01am
It's cheese in an aerosol can, like Dairy Whip. I haven't tried it but do see it on the supermarket shelf

uli, Dec 28, 9:02am
Looks like I never get into those aisles myself LOL :) I never seen anything like it - probably cause I have no tv either ...

davidt4, Dec 29, 2:50am
About a year ago a few people tried to promote aerosol canned cheese in this messageboard. One suggestion was to serve it in the can as a party nibble. As I recall, the idea was that guests squirted their own Mr Cheese on to crackers. It might have been a hoax, not sure.

And toadfish - I see that you haven't left the messageboard yet, so perhaps you've realised that this thread is just a bit of harmless clowning around over the holiday period. I'm quite sure that Highlander's place in the hearts and kitchens of NZ cooks will not be threatened by our childish jokes.

indy95, Dec 29, 3:22am
Have I read that correctly ? Cheese in an aerosol can ? Oh my goodness, that beats deep fried condensed milk hands down.

davidt4, Dec 29, 3:24am
Yes, but does it have the staying power? Can you add it to Tim Tam Truffles? I think not!

dragonzflame, Dec 29, 3:26am
They've had it in the US for yonks. I can't bring myself to even contemplate the mere thought of considering trying it.