Where Would We Be Without Condensed Milk?

Page 9 / 10
kulkkulbelle, Jan 6, 2:25am
I love condensed milk - best is straight from the tin and into the mouth... mmmm

However, I cannot and will not eat that so-called mayonnaise made from it that many here are enamoured of. It just reminds me of slug-filled lettuce from my childhood, grated carrot and half eggs in a nice har plastic faux crystal dish.

I amBest Foods girl... add anything to it to make a nice dish - my fave is best food/sour cream base and add blitzed capers for a lovely potato salad dressing.

buzzy110, Jan 6, 2:47am
jaybee your recipe has arrived in the nick of time. I went to buy some to make a condensed milk pavlova to go with smokey billy tea in the tussock and my Pak-n-Save was sold out! !

This thread is obviously having unforeseen impacts. People, up and down the country, or at Royal Oak anyway, are hoarding this special treat to make butties with Mr Cheese and asparagus quiche.

davidt4, Jan 6, 3:02am
Royal Oak is long overdue for an image makeover. Buzzy I think you've cracked it! I can just see the sign on the roundabout:Royal Oak Welcomes Cautious Cooks.

buzzy110, Jan 6, 3:18am
Yes I agree davidt4. They should toss out all the new organic products they have begun stocking and increase their stocks of Highlander SCM and Mr Cheese. Obviously the women of Royal Oak are wanting to make the recipe which involves a Scotsman without his kilt. We'd all like the opportunity to bite off more than we can chew, at least once in a lifetime.

I want to make that too. Especially if I can snaffle his sporran away at the same time.

davidt4, Jan 6, 3:27am
So it's true what they say about Scotsmen? ? ?

uli, Jan 6, 3:49am
So you make real milk again out of skim milk powder, water and butter. What a revelation.
And then add the sugar - voila - sweetened milk - not sure where the condensed comes in though? Maybe by using only half a cup of water instead of a whole cup?

Did you know that there used to be an attachment to the Kenwood mixer that would make you cream out of butter and milk? Just in case you needed some urgently and had forgotten to buy it.

kirinesha, Jan 6, 3:51am
They would have to be terribly "land of the brave" and manly right now! Some of the worst weather in the last century is happening over in Europe right now. It had better have moderated by the time we get there or I'll be very, very cross.

davidt4, Jan 6, 3:57am
Yes, I just got an email from a friend in London, and it's snowing in Whitechapel.

When are you off kiri?

uli, Jan 6, 3:58am
I have succumbed and used the dictionary again to find out what a sporran is:

Made of leather or fur, the sporran usually has more or less elaborate silver or other ornamentation. It is worn on a chain or hung from a kilt belt, conventionally lying in front of the groin of the wearer.

Since the traditional kilt does not have pockets, the sporran serves as a wallet and container for any other necessary personal items. It is essentially a survival of the common European medieval belt-pouch, superseded elsewhere as clothing came to have pockets, but continuing in the Scottish Highlands because of the lack of these accessories in traditional dress.

The sporran hangs just below the belt buckle; and much effort is made to match their style and design. The kilt belt buckle can be very ornate, and contain similar motifs to the sporran cantle and the Sgian Dubh.

When driving a car, dancing, playing drums, or engaging in any activity where a heavy pouch might encumber the wearer, the sporran can be turned around the waist to let it hang on the hip in a more casual position.

I am sure you all knew this - but since I have just found out I thought I post it - in case there are others with English language "problems" on here.

Of course you have just missed all those highlanders which we had up here:
http://www.waipugames.co.nz/

davidt4, Jan 6, 4:00am
Careful! The dainty people might be offended.

kirinesha, Jan 6, 4:04am
Early Feb :)

It's been strange going out to try on and buy a new winter coat and boots!

kirinesha, Jan 6, 4:05am
Uli - it's a Man Bag! ! ! Wouldn't have thought as those hardy Highland men as metrosexuals though.

uli, Jan 6, 4:23am
Yep a man bag hanging "conveniently" in front of the groin ... the mind keeps boggling ...

davidt4, Jan 6, 4:28am
Completely off the subject, but kiri - why not take an old overcoat and boots with you just to get you to London, then dive straight into the John Lewis sale, buy something fabulous and give the old ones to a charity? That's what Idid when we went to Europe last year and it was a really good move. John Lewis has a magnificent range of overcoats.

kirinesha, Jan 6, 4:37am
I thought about that as an option Davidt4, but decided that what I bought here I'd pass on to my sister (in Marlborough) when I got back. Auckland really isn't cold enough for a fully lined wool coat. I love coats but having bought several for close to $1000 each and wearing them so little decided they weren't a good wardrobe investment.

I've ended up with a tailored princess line bright red 100% italian 3/4 wool coat and reasonably flat black boots to carry me through (and keep my feet dry in Venice during aqua alta). That and a black pashmina or scarf should keep me toasty. And fur trimmed gloves of course.

I'm even sad enough to have done a trial pack (not that I'm excited about going back to Europe! ).

kirinesha, Jan 6, 4:40am
Davidt4 - also off subject - I found an ebook version of the out of print "Chow! Venice" which seems to be the definitive guide to eating in Venice!

Just delighted!

lbarker, Jan 6, 4:46am
You'd make all ants your lifelong friends too!

elliehen, Jan 6, 5:13am
This condensed milk recipe (unsweetened) is actually an old 'recession' substitute for fresh cream and was used by people without access to farm-fresh cream. Mix whole milk powder with whole milk to a cream-like consistency to pour over fresh berries - timely now, perhaps, with a recession plus abundant summerfruit? ? Just don't eat it every day because an excess of milk solids in proportion to liquid can be hard on the kidneys :)

uli, Jan 6, 5:41am
Last time I checked the kidneys filtered the blood - so I am not quite sure what the amount of milk solids has to do with the kidneys.
If you are pre-dialysis with kidney disease then you have to worry about protein intake in general, but not the amount of milk solids as compared to the amount of water. I hope you don't have kidney disease as that is definitely going to throw a spanner into the works of proper nutrition.

kirinesha, Jan 7, 7:36pm
Having just been through the website I think a visit to John Lewis is going to be compulsorary!

uli, Jan 7, 9:24pm
I thought I better copy my post from the "remeber... " thread over here into the CM thread where it belongs:

You can make Lane's emulsion easily yourself so your kids do not miss out - and think of the grandchildren too!

You buy this lovely product here:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Health-beauty/Body-moisturisers/Bod

y-oil/auction-263108441.htm

and add it to a tin of scm - and voila (or walla volla wala*) you have the tonic for all kids' ailments!

Doesn't come cheap but so worth it :)

* Have added these different ways of writing so nobody feels put down by the right spelling (never mind that I do not find the right accent here on my keyboard LOL)

lil_miss_haley, Jan 7, 9:34pm
This reminds me of some greek yoghurt I brought the other day. First ingredient was skim milk. Second ingredient was cream. Why would you bother with skim milk? ?

buzzy110, Jan 8, 3:25am
kirinesha. I hope you remember to pack a can or two of our own Highland condensed milk. It would be just terrible if you found yourself in some Italian tussock and didn't have the necessaries to make a cuppa or 'proper' salad dressing to go on your pizza. What's more, I hope the Italians understand that, as a NZer you have every right to expect a constant supply of pizza with cranberry, turkey and brie nestled between the tomato sauce base and lashings of mozzerella on top.

buzzy110, Jan 8, 3:35am
uli, You saw your chance and took it. Were you as excited with discovering a new, and genuine recipe for SCM as david was to discover that a baked lemonade scone and SCM recipe.

Your recipe is the best yet. I don't think anyone can top that. Even Mr Cheese and SCM comes in a pale second to a genuine concoction of fermented cold liver oil and SCM.

What was I thinking, going around buying leber kaese from the Black Forest Butchery when I could have been at home brewing up this evil concoction? Knocking my head against a brick wall at my stupidity, as we speak! *@!

davidt4, Jan 8, 3:41am
I haven't quite thought this through, but I'm sure there's a place for SCM on a pizza. Not necessarily cranberry turkey etc, but a vision is emerging of an improvement to the apricot and chicken "pizza" so dear to many hearts. Let's put our heads together and hope for a big Wallah moment soon.