Would you eat hummus if best before is

korbo, Jun 10, 10:16am
june 5 2011.

245sam, Jun 10, 10:58am
korbo, it depends.....

How has the hummus been stored?Covered and chilled? If so, it may be ok.

If the foil seal has been removed is there any sign of mould or discolouration?

If unopened, is the foil lid raised (puffed up) at all?We had some hummus in our caravan refrigerator and somehow the power was briefly turned off and when I went to get the hummus the foil lid, although still sealed, was definitely raised - that hummus looked and smelled ok but when DH had a tiny taste, it was definitely not edible and had a slight fizz with it (he quickly spat it out and rinsed his mouth out so was not made unwell, thank goodness).:-))

nfh1, Jun 10, 10:59am
Absolutely not.

antoniab, Jun 10, 8:08pm
If you havent opened it then yes absolutely Id eat it, hell Id probably still eat it if it had been opened, if it tastes fizzy its off lol

lythande1, Jun 10, 8:09pm
Best before does NOT mean use by.
Look up the difference. Even if it was Use By I probably would.

mackenzie2, Jun 11, 12:30am
Yip would have no prob eating it...

korbo, Jun 11, 12:54am
been in fridge not opened and looks ok. will try it later on some crackers. if i'm not here tomorrow, you know i am in bed....ha.lol....

fruitbat, Jun 11, 12:55am
Taste it....Hummus that goes off, tastes weird! Sniff it!

eddiedean, Jun 11, 1:02am
What?? Only 6 days past it's best before and you are worried?????

C'mon it says best before not you will die a painful death if you eat it slightly after this date

duckmoon, Jun 11, 3:55am
"best before" does not mean "poisoness afterwards"
I would use my eyes and my nose and then make a judgement

It has oil and chickpeas and maybe some garlic in it... not something which will go off in a hurry

cookessentials, Jun 11, 4:21am
Yes, I would.

morrello1, Jun 11, 10:09am
If it smells ok then I definitely would. I don't care at all about 'best before', or 'use by' etc dates.