Easiyo sachet - best before 22-02-09 ??

Page 1 / 2
kuaka, May 26, 10:58am
Would you still use it?Would it still work?Would you buy it?I saw some today at my local four square and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the b/b date - it was reduced "for quick sale" (actually I think they left that a bit late) - your opinions please.

nzhel, May 26, 11:05am
I'd be a bit 'effy' about using it really! It may be ok being sealed in those foil sachets but who knows? I wonder if its ok selling something like that so way out of date. You could contact Easiyo online and ask them or they may have a free phone number. They would certainly advise you either way.

245sam, May 26, 11:07am
kuaka, no I would not buy any food item with such a long gone best before date - in actual fact I wonder about the legality re selling it when it's BB date is so long ago.
IF I had it in my pantry I would be checking it (the powdered mix) firstly by sight and smell, then I would consider whether or not I would make the yoghurt up - I don't know if it would still work but IMO it quite likely would providing the packet had been kept completely sealed.:-))

kuaka, May 26, 11:34am
Interesting comments.If it was in my pantry I think I would make it up, and then (assuming it "set") I would try a taste and if it seemed okay, I would use it.I certainly wouldn't buy it.I hadn't thought of phoning the manufacturers and asking.Admittedly it's a "best before" not a "use by" date, and you would assume if it's sealed it should be okay, but I wonder whether the flavour would have deteriorated, the manufacture date was 2007, so it is getting a bit long in the tooth.

gardie, May 26, 6:15pm
I'm with kuaka.I have used Easiyo
sachets that are over 6 months out of date.One worked and the other didn't.I'd only do this if it was in my cupboard and certainly wouldn't be buying it.The cultures in yoghurt only last so long (sealed or not seald IMHO).I doubt that Easiyo themselves would be happy to see such a product on the market - could give them a bad name.

lenart, May 26, 9:11pm
Not sure if it's legal to sell it at all. It's a dairy product after all, milk powder and lactic bacteria. The bacteria might long be dead.

kuaka, May 27, 1:43am
Okay, I've emailed Easiyo - surprised they don't have an 0800 number, so it was email or a toll call, and being a scrooge I opted for the email.Be interesting to see their response.I'll update you if/when I get a reply.

harrislucinda, May 27, 1:51am
and1ofthosenumberstellyou thetimeitwasmadeaswell,,Ihada gregsjellythatwasdated04didstill set ,Imusthavebroughtitofftheshelfasiknowi hadrun outofjelliesandbroughtinmore , Willbewatchingdatesonpktsfromnowon

kuaka, May 27, 10:58am
Would you still use it!Would it still work!Would you buy it!I saw some today at my local four square and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the b/b date - it was reduced "for quick sale" (actually I think they left that a bit late) - your opinions please.

nzhel, May 27, 11:05am
I'd be a bit 'effy' about using it really! It may be ok being sealed in those foil sachets but who knows! I wonder if its ok selling something like that so way out of date. You could contact Easiyo online and ask them or they may have a free phone number. They would certainly advise you either way.

245sam, May 27, 11:07am
kuaka, no I would not buy any food item with such a long gone best before date - in actual fact I wonder about the legality re selling it when it's BB date is so long ago.
IF I had it in my pantry I would be checking it (the powdered mix) firstly by sight and smell, then I would consider whether or not I would make the yoghurt up - I don't know if it would still work but IMO it quite likely would providing the packet had been kept completely sealed.:-))

kuaka, May 27, 11:34am
Interesting comments.If it was in my pantry I think I would make it up, and then (assuming it "set") I would try a taste and if it seemed okay, I would use it.I certainly wouldn't buy it.I hadn't thought of phoning the manufacturers and asking.Admittedly it's a "best before" not a "use by" date, and you would assume if it's sealed it should be okay, but I wonder whether the flavour would have deteriorated, the manufacture date was 2007, so it is getting a bit long in the tooth.

gardie, May 27, 6:15pm
I'm with kuaka.I have used Easiyo
sachets that are over 6 months out of date.One worked and the other didn't.I'd only do this if it was in my cupboard and certainly wouldn't be buying it.The cultures in yoghurt only last so long (sealed or not seald IMHO).I doubt that Easiyo themselves would be happy to see such a product on the market - could give them a bad name.

lenart, May 27, 9:11pm
Not sure if it's legal to sell it at all. It's a dairy product after all, milk powder and lactic bacteria. The bacteria might long be dead.

kuaka, May 28, 1:43am
Okay, I've emailed Easiyo - surprised they don't have an 0800 number, so it was email or a toll call, and being a scrooge I opted for the email.Be interesting to see their response.I'll update you if/when I get a reply.

kuaka, May 30, 5:10am
well I've just had a reply from Easiyo and they say "no, don't use those sachets - we can't guarantee they will work".I replied with "is it legal to sell them that far out of date" and they've come back with "we'll pass your query on to our sales team to follow up" so I'm not really much wiser.If they were in my pantry I'd probably give them a go (not much to lose) but I certainly wouldn't buy them.

duckmoon, May 30, 5:28am
I am not sure that I would purchase one... BUT, if it had been in my cupboard, then I would think about using it...

These are the questions I would ask with food over its Best Before date:
How long is it shelf life (if its shelf live is 3 weeks, then I would look at it 3 weeks after the BB date, but not 3 months)
How has it been stored (if it has got lost in the back of my pantry -then I know what it has been doing - unlike a shop)
What does it look like?
What does it smell like?

My eyes and noses are my most valuable resource....

I found a pottle of yoghurt at the back of my fridge - who knows how it got muddled in the middle of other pottles - it was 2 monhts over its best before... I thought "out it goes" - then I thought "lets have a look"...
It looked fine, and smelt fine, and tasted fine... I enjoyed it... and enjoyed the fact it hadn't been wasted... AFter all, yoghurt is just a way of preserving milk...

duckmoon, May 30, 5:31am
it does frustrate me the people I know who consider the "best before date" to be a "poisonious after" date...

The amount of food which is wasted in the West horrorifise me - when there are starving people in the world.

kuaka, May 30, 8:02am
I have to agree there duckmoon - apparently there is a move in the UK to do away with "best before" dates purely because so many people chuck out perfectly good food just because it's past it's b/b date.

Don't people ever wonder what they did before best before dates were printed on packaging.They probably used butter, eggs etc that had been sitting around a while, and possibly cans of baked beans and the like that could have been on the shelf for years, but because it didn't have a best before date, they never gave it a thought.

However, as I said before, if it was in my pantry I would probably try it, but I wouldn't buy it knowing it was out-dated, whether it's a best before or a use by date.

duce3, May 30, 8:18am
I tried it with a way out of date packet once and it didn't set right.It went down the drain without tasting!

kuaka, May 31, 5:10am
well I've just had a reply from Easiyo and they say "no, don't use those sachets - we can't guarantee they will work".I replied with "is it legal to sell them that far out of date" and they've come back with "we'll pass your query on to our sales team to follow up" so I'm not really much wiser.If they were in my pantry I'd probably give them a go (not much to lose) but I certainly wouldn't buy them.

duckmoon, May 31, 5:28am
I am not sure that I would purchase one. BUT, if it had been in my cupboard, then I would think about using it.

These are the questions I would ask with food over its Best Before date:
How long is it shelf life (if its shelf live is 3 weeks, then I would look at it 3 weeks after the BB date, but not 3 months)
How has it been stored (if it has got lost in the back of my pantry -then I know what it has been doing - unlike a shop)
What does it look like!
What does it smell like!

My eyes and noses are my most valuable resource.

I found a pottle of yoghurt at the back of my fridge - who knows how it got muddled in the middle of other pottles - it was 2 monhts over its best before. I thought "out it goes" - then I thought "lets have a look".
It looked fine, and smelt fine, and tasted fine. I enjoyed it. and enjoyed the fact it hadn't been wasted. AFter all, yoghurt is just a way of preserving milk.

duckmoon, May 31, 5:31am
it does frustrate me the people I know who consider the "best before date" to be a "poisonious after" date.

The amount of food which is wasted in the West horrorifise me - when there are starving people in the world.

kuaka, May 31, 8:02am
I have to agree there duckmoon - apparently there is a move in the UK to do away with "best before" dates purely because so many people chuck out perfectly good food just because it's past it's b/b date.

Don't people ever wonder what they did before best before dates were printed on packaging.They probably used butter, eggs etc that had been sitting around a while, and possibly cans of baked beans and the like that could have been on the shelf for years, but because it didn't have a best before date, they never gave it a thought.

However, as I said before, if it was in my pantry I would probably try it, but I wouldn't buy it knowing it was out-dated, whether it's a best before or a use by date.

duce3, May 31, 8:18am
I tried it with a way out of date packet once and it didn't set right.It went down the drain without tasting!