WTH can I not get my pavlova to work???????

Page 1 / 2
ana-marie, Jun 10, 8:39am
I was taught the recipe by a guru but they keep flopping, the inside doing a flop and the outside cracking and falling :-(

The recipe I use is 6 whites, 1 1/2 c castor sugar, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 1/2 tsp malt vinegar, 1 1/2 Tbsp cornflour.

Tastes amazing, but looks like someone dropped it on the floor

smileeah, Jun 10, 9:28am
Sorry can't help, I've given up trying. Too disappointing when they fail.
Same with bread in my bread maker.

mamaa, Jun 10, 10:18am
I will make a suggestion.Put oven on about 200 to warm up, then drop temp to about 120 and leave in for at least 2 hours.Then turn off and leave to cool down.I use gas,and guess electric could be a bit different...But try and alter your cooking times.Otherwise just cover it in lots of lovely whipped cream ..

korbo, Jun 10, 10:22am
smileeah....what goes wrong with your bread.

trademequeen, Jun 10, 11:06am
Never make a Pav if it's going to rain.Something to do with the humidity.
Cheers :)

ana-marie, Jun 10, 11:26am
Will try this. Current method is 1 hr @140 then turn oven off and leave to cool

retailgirl, Jun 10, 11:50am
don't open the oven and wipe the bowl with lemon juice to get any fat residue before you start they are the tips I have picked up.

marcs, Jun 10, 12:56pm
your sugar is not beaten in fully. You need to beat for atleast 20 - 25 minutes. It is mistake I used to make. I use the same recipe as yours but I have a kenwood mixer however I have made it with a electric beater. The only difference is my recipe has 2 tbs of boiling water in it. It has not failed me. I will post the recipe shortly if you want to try it next time. Just remember to set the timer and beat the living daylights out of it.

marcs, Jun 10, 12:58pm
Pavlova

6 egg Whites,
1¼ - 1½ c castor sugar (I use castor sugar)
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
2 Tablespoons Boiling water
1 tsp vanilla

Beat the FIRST FOUR Ingredients together while boiling the jug. Add the Boiled Water and vanilla. Beat until thick and smooth (approx 15 mins with kenwood mixer or 20 mins with hand beater both on high speed). Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray (pile thickly NOT widely and flatten the top slightly). Cook for 2 mintues at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further 1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C. (Leave in oven overnight to cool with the door still shut). Do not open the door at any stage.

minoo, Jun 10, 7:37pm
I also could never make a pavlova, even after trying dozens of "no fail" recipes from friends who swore by them.Then just before Xmas last year I found this one, tried it AND IT WORKED!!
5 MINUTE BAKE PAVLOVA
4 egg whites (room temperature) 1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon malt vinegar1 dessertspoon hot water
Extra malt vinegar Pinch of salt
Pre-heat oven to 240 degrees.
Wipe out a large metal mixing bowl with small amount of vinegar and dry thoroughly with paper towel.
Beat egg whites until stiff.Add pinch of salt and beat well into mixture.
Teaspoon by teaspoon add caster sugar and beat.It should take no less than 15 minutes to beat all the sugar into the egg mixture.
Add the 1 teaspoon of vinegar and 1 dessert spoon of hot water and beat through quickly.
Mark out a circle (entree plate size) on a piece of baking paper.Place on large oven tray and sprinkle water into circle.
Carefully spoon the pavlova mixture onto the baking paper and keep within the circle.You can make the outside edge higher than the centre if you want to pour whipped cream and berries into it when cooked.
Place in pre-heated oven for 5 minutes.Switch off after 5 minutes and leave until oven is completely cold.DO NOT OPEN DOOR AT ALL until oven is completely cold.
Place in airtight container in pantry or freezer.DO NOT REFRIGERATE.
Pour whipped cream or custard into centre.Sprinkle with fresh berries.Serve.

If you try it, please re-post and let us know if it worked out.Good luck!

smileeah, Jun 10, 8:46pm
It often over rises then sinks before it is cooked. The other day it didn't cook at all. I have only have about 3 successes from at least a dozen attempts.
I am actually beginning to wonder if my 2nd hand machine is to blame as it makes some strange noises sometimes. I have decided to wait to try again until I get a new machine.
I plan to try the slow cooker bread meantime. :)

kinna54, Jun 11, 5:37am
Egg temperature is important as well. Posting my old catering recipes for you.

Pavlova # 1

3 egg whites
8oz caster sugar
Pinch salt
1 tsp vinegar

Beat egg whites with salt until quite stiff.
Beat in sugar very gradually
Add vanilla and vinegar, and beat again until mixed in.

Place the mixture in a20cm circle on greased paper on a greased oven tray, and bake slowly 100—110 deg C. for about 1-1/2 hrs.
Leave the pavlova to cool in the oven until completely cold. *This makes the outside crunchier.*

This recipe has a firmer centre.
Serve topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit.

*Original Recipe of M Dudding*

Pavlova # 2

3 egg whites
3 TBSPS cold water
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tsps cornflour

Beat egg whites until stiff.
Add water and beat again.
Add sugar very gradually whilst still beating.
Slow beater and add vinegar, vanilla, and corn flour.

Line an oven tray with baking paper.
Spread the pavlova mixture evenly in a 20cm circle evenly over the paper.
Bake at 110 deg C for 45 mins. Then leave to
completelycool in the oven.

This pavlova has a softer centre.

Serve topped with whipped cream and fruit.

kinna54, Jun 11, 5:40am
Ps agree with Marcs2 you have to beat the hell out of it, (electric mixer or kenwood) adding the sugar very gradually, a TBSP at a time, always use castor sugar.

twobitcares, Jun 11, 6:13am
Make sure you dont get even a speck of yolk in it, beat it like crazy and DONT open the oven door once its in. Leave in the oven for 2 hours once its turned off without opening the door. Pile whipped cream on top to cover any cracks etc

lcscott, Jun 12, 12:08am
i cant make a pav to save myself so get my daughter toolol me specilaity and shes on17 lol

korbo, Jun 12, 1:08am
poster #11..check out my recipe on lefthand side, for my bread recipe. many others have had great sucess. make sure you stir your yeast before putting it in. i have never had it sink tho. i just do a med crust and no.1.basic. have another go.....

mysticpoynt, Jun 12, 5:44am
I use Simon Holst's recipe and it never failed me. It can be found at http://www.holst.co.nz/Recipes

smileeah, Jun 10, 9:28am
Sorry can't help, I've given up trying. Too disappointing when they fail.
Same with bread in my bread maker.

mamaa, Jun 10, 10:18am
I will make a suggestion.Put oven on about 200 to warm up, then drop temp to about 120 and leave in for at least 2 hours.Then turn off and leave to cool down.I use gas,and guess electric could be a bit different.But try and alter your cooking times.Otherwise just cover it in lots of lovely whipped cream .

korbo, Jun 10, 10:22am
smileeah.what goes wrong with your bread.

trademequeen, Jun 10, 11:06am
Never make a Pav if it's going to rain.Something to do with the humidity.
Cheers :)

retailgirl, Jun 10, 11:50am
don't open the oven and wipe the bowl with lemon juice to get any fat residue before you start they are the tips I have picked up.

marcs, Jun 10, 12:58pm
Pavlova

6 egg Whites,
1¼ - 1½ c castor sugar (I use castor sugar)
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
2 Tablespoons Boiling hot water
1 tsp vanilla

Beat the FIRST FOUR Ingredients together while boiling the jug. Add the Boiled Water and vanilla. Beat until thick and smooth (approx 15 mins with kenwood mixer or 20 mins with hand beater both on high speed). Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray (pile thickly NOT widely and flatten the top slightly). Cook for 2 mintues at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further 1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C. (Leave in oven overnight to cool with the door still shut). Do not open the door at any stage.

minoo, Jun 10, 7:37pm
I also could never make a pavlova, even after trying dozens of "no fail" recipes from friends who swore by them.Then just before Xmas last year I found this one, tried it AND IT WORKED!
5 MINUTE BAKE PAVLOVA
4 egg whites (room temperature) 1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon malt vinegar1 dessertspoon hot water
Extra malt vinegar Pinch of salt
Pre-heat oven to 240 degrees.
Wipe out a large metal mixing bowl with small amount of vinegar and dry thoroughly with paper towel.
Beat egg whites until stiff.Add pinch of salt and beat well into mixture.
Teaspoon by teaspoon add caster sugar and beat.It should take no less than 15 minutes to beat all the sugar into the egg mixture.
Add the 1 teaspoon of vinegar and 1 dessert spoon of hot water and beat through quickly.
Mark out a circle (entree plate size) on a piece of baking paper.Place on large oven tray and sprinkle water into circle.
Carefully spoon the pavlova mixture onto the baking paper and keep within the circle.You can make the outside edge higher than the centre if you want to pour whipped cream and berries into it when cooked.
Place in pre-heated oven for 5 minutes.Switch off after 5 minutes and leave until oven is completely cold.DO NOT OPEN DOOR AT ALL until oven is completely cold.
Place in airtight container in pantry or freezer.DO NOT REFRIGERATE.
Pour whipped cream or custard into centre.Sprinkle with fresh berries.Serve.

If you try it, please re-post and let us know if it worked out.Good luck!

smileeah, Jun 10, 8:46pm
It often over rises then sinks before it is cooked. The other day it didn't cook at all. I have only have about 3 successes from at least a dozen attempts.
I am actually beginning to wonder if my 2nd hand machine is to blame as it makes some strange noises sometimes. I have decided to wait to try again until I get a new machine.
I plan to try the slow cooker bread meantime. :)