Best porridge

whistlingwings, Jun 6, 10:31am
My son has recently had his tonsils removed and thought perhaps he could eat some porridge.He is wanting to try a çreamy porridge not a rough oaty texture porridge.Anysuggestions

cookessentials, Jun 6, 10:34am
Long,slow cooking is always good. Good, full cream milk too.

juliewn, Jun 6, 11:08am
Hi.. you could make the porridge and then push it through a sieve to ensure it's very smooth.. and you could also place the rolled oats in a food processor and whizz them till they're finely chopped..then make as usual..

Pumpkin soup, made fairly thickly and with milk added if you want, then pureed, gives a very smooth and nutritious dish too..

I remember my then 3 year old having her tonsils removed - the surgeon said it's about the most painful surgery to have.. with a hugely sore throat areaafterwards.. thank goodness the mouth area is the fastest part of the body to heal..

nzhel, Jun 6, 12:47pm
I miss Creamota - and that was always very smooth. I bought Uncle Tobys Milk Oaties recently and have been very pleased with the porridge it makes. It has a very oaty texture out of the packet but most of this seemed to 'dissolve' with cooking leaving the porridge reasonably smooth - just a few soft lumps. I did mine in a pot on the stove which may give a different result than using a microwave.

pamellie, Jun 6, 7:53pm
Lately I have been soaking mine in milk and stewed apple for about half an hour and then giving it a minute in the microwave to war it up. It's surpriseingly nice. Not sure if it would be smooth enough on the tonsils though but could be worth a try.

whistlingwings, Jun 6, 9:48pm
Morning,

thank you for your replies.Yes I have made some soup for him and will take it in to him today. I never though of wizzing up the porridge but will suggest that to him.
Apart from having his tonsils out, he also hadadenoids and nose realigning (bone adjusting/shaving off) so that he could breath easier..He is not complaining about the nose - that could be still numb- just a very very sore throat.My son is 32yrs old and I understand that even having your tonsils out at this age is a painful operation.

jaky, Jun 6, 10:03pm
I had my tonsils & nose done last year at 34. Scrambled eggs & spaghetti also go down very easily :)

jubellsrose, Jun 7, 3:47am
jelly and custard.yoghurt (which my man says is pig tucker)lol

wildflower, Jun 7, 3:57am
Years back they used to soak porridge overnight, would certainly make sure it's soft.

eastie3, Jun 7, 6:26am
I do that,and give it a couple of quick bursts in the microwave,stirring inbetween.

hobbit3, Jun 7, 6:57am
Soft poached eggs with bread, rip bread up in a cup add salt and pepper, mash poached eggs into bread then eat goes down really easily!!!

juliewn, Jun 7, 11:08am
Hi. you could make the porridge and then push it through a sieve to ensure it's very smooth. and you could also place the rolled oats in a food processor and whizz them till they're finely chopped.then make as usual.

Pumpkin soup, made fairly thickly and with milk added if you want, then pureed, gives a very smooth and nutritious dish too.

I remember my then 3 year old having her tonsils removed - the surgeon said it's about the most painful surgery to have. with a hugely sore throat areaafterwards. thank goodness the mouth area is the fastest part of the body to heal.

nzhel, Jun 7, 12:47pm
I miss Creamota - and that was always very smooth. I bought Uncle Tobys Milk Oaties recently and have been very pleased with the porridge it makes. It has a very oaty texture out of the packet but most of this seemed to 'dissolve' with cooking leaving the porridge reasonably smooth - just a few soft lumps. I did mine in a pot on the stove which may give a different result than using a microwave.

pamellie, Jun 7, 7:53pm
Lately I have been soaking mine in milk and stewed apple for about half an hour and then giving it a minute in the microwave to war it up. It's surpriseingly nice. Not sure if it would be smooth enough on the tonsils though but could be worth a try.

whistlingwings, Jun 7, 9:48pm
Morning,

thank you for your replies.Yes I have made some soup for him and will take it in to him today. I never though of wizzing up the porridge but will suggest that to him.
Apart from having his tonsils out, he also hadadenoids and nose realigning (bone adjusting/shaving off) so that he could breath easier.He is not complaining about the nose - that could be still numb- just a very very sore throat.My son is 32yrs old and I understand that even having your tonsils out at this age is a painful operation.

angela137, Jun 7, 10:02pm
We always whizz up the bigger oats you get in hte magic bullet for abut 5 seconds and they cook up so soomth and creammy!!! also, how abut semolina with a little bit of butter and sugar - so creamy and delicious!!!

mkbooks, Jun 8, 12:20am
We used to give kids iceblocks-jelly-lots of ice cream-frozen bananas in hosp after tonsils

frances1266, Jun 8, 3:41am
Rice pudding would probably go down well.

wildflower, Jun 8, 3:57am
Years back they used to soak porridge overnight, would certainly make sure it's soft.

beaker59, Jun 8, 4:22am
Tapioca pudding :)

hobbit3, Jun 8, 6:57am
Soft poached eggs with bread, rip bread up in a cup add salt and pepper, mash poached eggs into bread then eat goes down really easily!

angela137, Jun 8, 10:02pm
We always whizz up the bigger oats you get in hte magic bullet for abut 5 seconds and they cook up so soomth and creammy! also, how abut semolina with a little bit of butter and sugar - so creamy and delicious!