Victoria Park Market Garlic Sauce Chips anyone?

peaknuckle, May 21, 7:30am
x2
In the late 1980's we used to regularly go to Victoria Park Market in Auckland and order hot chips covered with a garlic sauce.

Does and anyone remember them or has the recipe for the sauce?
Would be most yummy to have again. I have tried like a garlic white sauce but was all wrong lol.
Thanks in advance :)

soden, May 21, 7:39am
x1
Yes, they were the best..I have often wondered what the recipe was!!!!

purplegoanna, May 21, 8:48am
try esmeraldas in papakura (not manurewa) they make GORGEOUS food...my picks are the HOMEMADE wedges with garlic sauce, the chicken fettucine and a chicken kebab with tabouleh..you can eat in casual cafe style or takeaway....you wont be dissapointed.

purplegoanna, May 21, 9:21am

hindsfeet, May 21, 9:38am
these people sell the best Garlic Sauce http://www.howesaucy.co.nz/sales-and-inquiries or they can be found on facebook

crails, May 21, 7:41pm
I hear a lot of really good coments about Esmeraldas might have to try it

munrotti, May 21, 7:50pm
Could it have been garlic aoli?Burger fuel do amazing chips ( Potato or kumera) which come with a little pottle of garlic aoli - delicious.

pickles7, May 21, 7:54pm
I would think it would have been a mayonnaise based sauce. Chips and mayo was born around that time.
Maybe crush up some garlic, add it to mayo and let it meld together a while.
Mayonnaise, was a base for a lot of my sauces, it carries other flavours, can be coloured, has a relatively high heat tolerence.

peaknuckle, May 21, 11:29pm
Thanks everyone for your help. I will now follow-up on your leads :)

shiyo, May 22, 5:15am
this is the best garlic sauce, not sure if it is what you are after. i use it for every thing, sauce, stews, marinade.

Mince or whizz 1/2lb garlic and 2 onions
Mix with 1 gallon vinegar ( 4.5 litre)
4 lb treacle (2 tins)
1 oz cloves>
1 oz chillies> whole in a muslin bag (1 oz is 30 grams)
1 tbsp ground ginger
2 tbsp plain salt
1 lb brown sugar

Boil 1 hour, then add 1 small bottle worcester sauce.It may be thickened with cornflour mixed with vinegar. (optional) I do some of both.
And bottle.

peaknuckle, May 22, 7:30am
x1
In the late 1980's we used to regularly go to Victoria Park Market in Auckland and order hot chips covered with a garlic sauce.

Does and anyone remember them or has the recipe for the sauce!
Would be most yummy to have again. I have tried like a garlic white sauce but was all wrong lol.
Thanks in advance :)

soden, May 22, 7:39am
Yes, they were the best.I have often wondered what the recipe was!

purplegoanna, May 22, 8:48am
try esmeraldas in papakura (not manurewa) they make GORGEOUS food.my picks are the HOMEMADE wedges with garlic sauce, the chicken fettucine and a chicken kebab with tabouleh.you can eat in casual cafe style or takeaway.you wont be dissapointed.

munrotti, May 22, 7:50pm
Could it have been garlic aoli!Burger fuel do amazing chips ( Potato or kumera) which come with a little pottle of garlic aoli - delicious.

guest, Jun 10, 4:04am
Did you find it?j