How do you get roast potates chrunchy ive tried

Page 2 / 3
valentino, Jun 2, 9:02am
Who else don't salt their spuds when roasting.

motorbo, Jun 2, 9:33am
you can buy duck fat in aussie

pom-pom, Jun 2, 9:50am
My roasties never fail. Simple. Cut them up (one average- large Agria into 6 pieces. Slit tops with knife to make parallel cuts. Par boil 8 mins. Put olive oil into baking pan to heat in 220 degree oven. Oil should be smoking! then chuck par boiled spuds in. Turn over once maybe and they're done after 45 mins. DON'T SALT THEM til they're ready!

esther-anne, Jun 2, 10:36am
That's what I do with roast spuds. Par boiled-shaken up to roughen the edges and sprinkled (not coated)with flour and into a hot electric frypan = delicious.Then I don't need to fanny around with getting them out of my roasting tin and can concentrate on the dripping from the roast to make a delicious gravy.I cook other veges that way too

daleaway, Jun 3, 1:19am
One of the problems is that roast spuds need a high temperature (or very long cooking time) to get brown and crunchy. But if you do a roast at too high a temperature, it will get tough. Basic conflict of interests here, unless you have a double oven!

So do the spuds alongside your roast, then when the roast is done, take it out and wrap it in foil for a 10-15 minute rest. Then use that 10-15 minutes to whack up the oven temperature (or even use the grill, if your oven is slow to heat) to brown and crisp the roast veg.

ibcreative, Jun 3, 1:53am
Given that this thread is over a year old & #1 has since been disabled, I don't think they'll care any more.

valentino, Jun 3, 2:37am
True but some interesting notes and ways given.

Worthy of the bump above before oblivion.

libra29, Jun 3, 5:01am
No but I've read a hundred and one ways of cooking a roast potato, didn't learn anything new though lol

shellz213, Jun 14, 5:27am
Bumping up to the top!!

taurus2005, Jun 14, 6:00am
Havnt tried myself but saw on tele yesterday, the spuds were tossed with cus cus before roasting.

moggie57, Jun 14, 8:23am
....i do exactly this >>>>and use AGRIA spuds

jarrod261, Jun 14, 9:41am
Done my roast tonight,Pork.
I put the spuds in the oven same time as the meat,Cover them in oil,salt them,Give them a turn after an hour.
They are usually ready same time as the meat.

jan.w1, Jun 15, 3:56am
what is cuscus?

jennyfenny1, Jun 15, 4:32am
cous cous? yeah i saw that too - on Come Dine With Me i think. thought it looked kinda interesting...

ange164, Jun 15, 4:53am
this is my method too. I take a fist size spud and cut into quarters, throw it into the hot oil/fat and turn after 15 mins, then leave it alone for another half hour at least. It's that time and meat juices that get the crispy bottoms on them IMO. This *can* back fire a bit if you're roasting a chook from frozen and it's all watery. In that instance; I boost the heat by about another 20 degrees to cook off the excess moisture.

shellz213, Jun 15, 5:27am
Bumping up to the top!

fee1965, Jun 15, 5:47am
DO NOT SALT them when they go in, salt brings out the water in you don;t get a crunchy spud

moggie57, Jun 15, 8:23am
.i do exactly this >>>>and use AGRIA spuds

jan.w1, Jun 16, 3:56am
what is cuscus!

jennyfenny1, Jun 16, 4:32am
cous cous! yeah i saw that too - on Come Dine With Me i think. thought it looked kinda interesting.

ange164, Jun 16, 4:53am
this is my method too. I take a fist size spud and cut into quarters, throw it into the hot oil/fat and turn after 15 mins, then leave it alone for another half hour at least. It's that time and meat juices that get the crispy bottoms on them IMO. This *can* back fire a bit if you're roasting a chook from frozen and it's all watery. In that instance; I boost the heat by about another 20 degrees to cook off the excess moisture.

margyr, May 8, 3:45am
do you heat your oil in roasting dish before putting in the spuds! try that and if you par boil them make some grooves with a fork and roll in flour as well, then when you put them into the hot oil roll them around in it before putting back in the oven.

sampa, May 8, 4:45am
Use Agria potatoes, they make yummy roast spuds.Par boil and then roll them around in a large colander (almost 'grates' the edges of them).Then toss them in some flour (add a little salt too).Add to hot fat, pork fat is about the best for us normal roasters (although I believe duck fat is even better, but who roasts ducks on a regular basis!).

liamjosh, May 8, 5:31am
After par boiling coat them in semolina before you put them in the hot oil in oven. Jamie Oliver trick.

winnie231, May 8, 5:39am
This is my recipe - not quite the traditional but works well for a variety of veges of potatoes alone .

Mini Roasties

Preheat oven to 220C (200C if fan oven)
Use a mix of any or all of the following: potatoes, kumara, pumpkin, carrots, parsnips, onions . peel if you want but I prefer leaving the skin on & just scrubbing (except for the onions).
Cut into small chunks (2-3cm!) & place in a large bowl. Pour a little oil (just enough to coat all the pieces) over and toss to coat. Then sprinkle over salt, freshly ground pepper, garlic granules & oregano (or a seasoning mix from the shop that sounds yum to you). Toss again and spread out in a roasting dish lined with baking paper. Bake for 30-40 mins or until cooked & golden. Give a shake/stir 1/2 way through.

*When having these with roast meat I put them in the oven once the meat is cooked & resting.
*Cloves of fresh garlic are also a delicious addition.