How do you get roast potates chrunchy ive tried

Page 1 / 3
greertontga1, May 8, 3:26am
par boiling them and putting them in a hot oven with plenty of oil, and done the same and put them in a bag with flour then put them in the oven just doesnt seem to happen how i hope, does it depend on the potatoe

thejewellerybox, May 8, 3:37am
Try using lard. Always makes mine crunchy!

margyr, May 8, 3:45am
do you heat your oil in roasting dish before putting in the spuds??? try that and if you par boil them make some grooves with a fork and roll in flour as well, then when you put them into the hot oil roll them around in it before putting back in the oven.

greertontga1, May 8, 3:47am
i have some i might just try that thanks

sampa, May 8, 4:45am
Use Agria potatoes, they make yummy roast spuds.Par boil and then roll them around in a large colander (almost 'grates' the edges of them).Then toss them in some flour (add a little salt too).Add to hot fat, pork fat is about the best for us normal roasters (although I believe duck fat is even better, but who roasts ducks on a regular basis?).

liamjosh, May 8, 5:31am
After par boiling coat them in semolina before you put them in the hot oil in oven... Jamie Oliver trick.

winnie231, May 8, 5:39am
This is my recipe - not quite the traditional but works well for a variety of veges of potatoes alone ...

Mini Roasties

Preheat oven to 220C (200C if fan oven)
Use a mix of any or all of the following: potatoes, kumara, pumpkin, carrots, parsnips, onions ... peel if you want but I prefer leaving the skin on & just scrubbing (except for the onions).
Cut into small chunks (2-3cm?) & place in a large bowl. Pour a little oil (just enough to coat all the pieces) over and toss to coat. Then sprinkle over salt, freshly ground pepper, garlic granules & oregano (or a seasoning mix from the shop that sounds yum to you). Toss again and spread out in a roasting dish lined with baking paper. Bake for 30-40 mins or until cooked & golden. Give a shake/stir 1/2 way through.

*When having these with roast meat I put them in the oven once the meat is cooked & resting.
*Cloves of fresh garlic are also a delicious addition.

speckle77, May 8, 6:19am
I have roast potato & kumara cooking now.

Heat up the tray in the oven, put oil in it or fat from the roast, heat it up, put in veges & cook. Nothing special really, they crunch up nicely & nicely cooked in the middle. I'm having pork roast tonight, so put a bit of pork fat in it, had a little duck fat too left over from last night.

I don't boil first if doing a roast since there is enough time for them to cook in the oven, sometimes if not having a roast but still cook them the same way.

pom-pom, May 8, 6:34am
Put oven to 230 and heat oil (I use olive oil) in a pan. Before par boiling pots cuts narrow slits across top of potato pieces. Par boil 5-10 mins max - don't let them go mushy. Coat in hot oil, seasoon with salt and pepper and cook 220 for 40mins. This works perfectly every time and the potatoes look pretty when they come out with roasted lines on top!

nfh1, May 8, 6:35am
I bring them to the boil, drain and shake them really well to roughen up the edges.I do not use oil or fat, so they go into a hot oven and crisp up really well.I often sprinkle with cumin or some other spice or herbs - yummy.

kinna54, May 8, 11:56am
I microwave mine 2-3mins turn over and same again, then blot on handee towel, place in a non stick shallow tray and drizzle with oil, into hot oven on fan bake. Brilliant, and quick.

marcs, May 8, 12:00pm
I par boil mine and while the potatoes are boiling, my roasting dish is in the oven with olive oil and salt and pepper. (you need a bit of oil if you want flavour). As soon as potatoes are done, drain in a collander, shake about to roughen it up and put in the hot oil in the oven. Temp should be around 220c. I turn them half way through.

lythande1, May 8, 7:25pm
Doesn't really matter whether you boil first or not.
1)Don't use too much oil
2)Leave them longer - it takes time.

beebs, May 8, 8:25pm
you can use any of the methods above, but the key is buying the right potato, agria first choice or one of the red skinned varieties work ok too, it seems the ones that are off white/yellow under the skin work best...i pre boil mine, just till the outside starts to soften, drain and leave to dry in the pot, than bang them around in the pot to rough up the outsides of the potato a bit, i sometimes dust them in seasoned flour at this time, then into a hot oven with oil or dripping....

pickles7, May 8, 9:16pm
Hotter oven may help them. Turn up the heat, in ya kitchen.

nzl99, May 8, 10:12pm
As someone else mentioned... use the right potato for the job.Agrias are my fav.Everyone will have a different technique to acheive the same result.

Pre hear your oven to 190C.Peel your taties.Leave them in LARGE pieces.Put into a big mixing bowl.Add a couple of glugs of EVOO, not too much... maybe 2T.Add a good whack of salt and pepper.Toss the taties in the bowl.

On to an oven tray, *rounded side down*... this way they don't stick to the tray AND more crunch all around.

Into the oven... and leave them alone.They don't need turning.

Works every time for me.

cgvl, May 8, 11:10pm
I too leave my potatoes in quite large pieces.
Heat oven to 200C and heat the pan also, add oil or dripping to pan.
Roll vegies in it to make sure they are well coated.
Sprinkle salt over them also.
Into the hot oven on the bottom rung for 30mins, turn vege over and cook for another 30mins.
How my mother always did hers, sometimes they don't achieve the real crispy coating I like but more times than not they do.
Also don't use too much oil or fat.

cookessentials, May 8, 11:27pm
I cut mine in half lengthwise and steam until knife just goes into them, then drain and dust in a little plain flour seasoned with freshly ground pepper and salt. They are placed in the roasting pan around the meat and in the hot oil/juices.

ferrit47, May 8, 11:36pm
Dont cook with Oil.Just Fan Bake on 200 & Spinkle Pepper & Salt over them and Either Garlic or Chicken Stock. When brown one side turn them over & Brown other side. They come up really Good.

kiwitrish, May 8, 11:43pm
I use goose fat.Makes the crunchiest roast potatoes.

sampa, May 9, 3:53am
Where do you purchase goose fat?

pigletnz25, May 9, 4:10am
Mine come good by fan baking also, had the best crunchiest roasties since using fanbake.

cowman33, May 9, 4:15am
garlic salt taste yummy

jellybeanbee04, May 10, 10:12am
The best crunchy roast veges I've had are by an aunt who cooks them in an electric frying pan

rover110, May 11, 12:38am
floury tatters are the way to go as mentioned above agria's are supreme. I don't agree with smothering them in fat or oil though. Everyone has their preferred way to cook their roasties but par boiled is the nicest but all you need to do is put them in a dish that won't attach itself to your spuds and spray them all over with non stick spray, it works a treat.