Old fashioned rice pudding

Page 2 / 2
cookessentials, May 1, 8:02pm
New World was the last place I got it.Mum actually got it for me from New World Milford (North Shore) Medium grain is alot larger than the short grain.
If you butter the dish and add a couple of knobs in with the milk it wont stick. The only time I stir it is when I add the evaporated milk part way through cooking. Stirring it frequently makes no difference to it's creaminess.it's the rich cream/milk/evaporated milk and the starch from the rice that does this.
Just add more milk when/if required. The nutmeg goes on at the beginning so you get a lovely skin

petal1955, May 1, 8:48pm
Creamy Rice Pudding

Yummy, its the best rice pudding Ive ever tasted. I got it out of the NZ Womens Weekly, it's a Jo Seager one.
8 heaped tablespoons aborio rice
1/4 cup water
300ml milk
300ml cream (or you can use all milk)
Large knob butter
2 tblspns vanilla essence
4 tbspns castor sugar.
METHOD:
Place rice, water, milk and cream in saucepan. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a very gentle simmer. Stir every so often for 20 mins, until the rice has swelled up and thickened. Rice should be soft, but have a little bite to it. Stir in the butter, vanilla and sugar and stir until disolved. Pour into a dish and place under gentle grill for four to five mins until a brown skin develops. Serve with cream. Serves 4.

grannypam, May 1, 8:51pm
Best made with REAL milk straight from the cows .lol

wasgonna, May 1, 10:18pm
Its not easy getting the cow to stand over the pot though.

kay141, May 1, 11:26pm
I agree, they don't seem to like the heat.

grannypam, May 1, 11:28pm
True .lol
*eyes up the jug of creamy REAL milk in the fridge and thinks ahead*.lol