Old fashioned rice pudding

Page 1 / 2
jtonkin, Apr 30, 4:49am
Could someone please give me a normal good old fashioned rice pudding recipe, I have cravings

shellz213, Apr 30, 4:54am
The one from the Edmonds cookbook:-

600 ml (1 pint) milk
2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons rice
flavouring if liked

Wash rice and put into pie dish with milk, sugar and flavouring.Grate a little nutmeg over the top.Bake at least 2 hours at 120C to 150C.It is the long slow cooking that makes a milk pudding creamy and rich.Stir 2 or 3 times while cooking.

cookessentials, Apr 30, 7:23am
For a creamy rice pudding, use a can of Carnation evaporated milk and half the amount of milk above. Add more milk if required during cooking. Also, a couple of knobs of butter and a buttered dish.

clair4, Apr 30, 7:27am
Use the short grain rice.

lindylambchops1, Apr 30, 7:27am
I brought some rice today to make a good old rice pudding!Love em!

n00dle, Apr 30, 7:50am
Arborio rice is really good to use, too.

heather230755, Apr 30, 8:16am
The rice pudding mum made when we were kids was yummy and so easy.In a pot went the short grain rice, wash it and then put some water in the pot.Not too much.Boil it off, this starts to cook it and then put in the milk.A fair bit because it will be absorbed by the rice.Simmer it until it is cooked.If you need more milk, use more.Then, depending on how much rice you have, add sugar.Can also put sultanas in.This is so easy.Can be cooking while you are eating dinner.Nice with fruit or golden syrup and cream.

cottagerose, Apr 30, 8:45am
This is the only one that will make a successful rice pudding like the creamy ones our Mums used to make.

kiwiscrapper1, Apr 30, 8:57am
Yes because it seems that short grain rice is no longer available so I bought medium and its ok but not quite the same, I never stir during cooking - with the nutmeg it forms a dark crispy skin on top and when we were kids we all wanted that bit! but I keep forgetting to try Pams with the tin of evapaorated milk it would be lovely and creamy.

bunny51, Apr 30, 8:58am
I use sushi rice by Sunrise (I think) and it makes a nice rice pudding

cookessentials, Apr 30, 9:24am
I have only ever used short grain rice which is what my Mother has always used along with the evaporated milk to give you beutiful creamy rice pudding.
My Mum always did hers in an enamel shallow pie dish.

kay141, Apr 30, 10:11am
Where do you get your short grain rice? I haven't been able to find any in anyofthe Hutt supermarkets. Haven't tried Bin Inn yet.

n00dle, Apr 30, 10:42am
I normally buy Arborio which is a good short grain rice for using with rice pudding or risotto; however, I think that the supermarkets sell "medium grain" rice (say, by Sunrice) as the equivalent of short grain these days.

pickles7, Apr 30, 1:46pm
You need to stir a rice pudding often,to make it creamy.Put a little nutmeg on at the end of cooking. I sometimes add a little water at the time of stirring just to make sure there is enough liquid.

cookessentials, Apr 30, 8:02pm
New World was the last place I got it...Mum actually got it for me from New World Milford (North Shore) Medium grain is alot larger than the short grain.
If you butter the dish and add a couple of knobs in with the milk it wont stick. The only time I stir it is when I add the evaporated milk part way through cooking. Stirring it frequently makes no difference to it's creaminess...it's the rich cream/milk/evaporated milk and the starch from the rice that does this.
Just add more milk when/if required. The nutmeg goes on at the beginning so you get a lovely skin

gilligee, Apr 30, 8:11pm
x1
I do all as above but prefer to cook it in a pot on the stove.

petal1955, Apr 30, 8:48pm
Creamy Rice Pudding

Yummy, its the best rice pudding Ive ever tasted. I got it out of the NZ Womens Weekly, it's a Jo Seager one.
8 heaped tablespoons aborio rice
1/4 cup water
300ml milk
300ml cream (or you can use all milk)
Large knob butter
2 tblspns vanilla essence
4 tbspns castor sugar.
METHOD:
Place rice, water, milk and cream in saucepan. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a very gentle simmer. Stir every so often for 20 mins, until the rice has swelled up and thickened. Rice should be soft, but have a little bite to it. Stir in the butter, vanilla and sugar and stir until disolved. Pour into a dish and place under gentle grill for four to five mins until a brown skin develops. Serve with cream. Serves 4.

grannypam, Apr 30, 8:51pm
Best made with REAL milk straight from the cows ...lol

greerg, Apr 30, 9:38pm
I always make it the same way as CookE because my boys love the skin and this method makes a thick one.Odd because as a child it was one of my per hates.

wasgonna, Apr 30, 10:18pm
Its not easy getting the cow to stand over the pot though.

deluxe4u, Apr 30, 11:01pm
If you use brown sugar you get a nice caramel flavour :)

kay141, Apr 30, 11:26pm
I agree, they don't seem to like the heat.

grannypam, Apr 30, 11:28pm
True ..lol
*eyes up the jug of creamy REAL milk in the fridge and thinks ahead*..lol

jtonkin, May 1, 8:03am
THANK YOU!!!!

kay141, May 1, 10:11am
Where do you get your short grain rice! I haven't been able to find any in anyofthe Hutt supermarkets. Haven't tried Bin Inn yet.