My food processor goes no more :-(

Page 2 / 3
pickles7, Apr 24, 6:30am
bumping up for those that have Kenwood mixers. You can adjust the height of the k beaters etc.

cookessentials, Apr 24, 6:46am
I think you would find that if you used the tip of a knife to prise off the whole dried and rock hard root of a garlic bulb ( the whole thing, not one clove) it would indeed break. If you know anything about knives, you would know that they are very fine towards the tip...they are for food prep, not as general tools. And yes, it was replaced.

cookessentials, Apr 24, 6:48am
as you can with KitchenAid as well and they have a stainless bowl which is farmore servicable than plastic. Lower wattage for energy saving ( they dont sound like they are going to take off like the Kenwoods) and thorough mixing ( 67 points of the bowl as opposed to about 11 in it's competitors)

pickles7, Apr 24, 9:37am
Good knives are, chefs tools. Iguess you get what you pay for.

cookessentials, Apr 24, 9:53am
Expensive German Knives are not tools. We are not talking about chef's tools.

micky_1, Apr 24, 10:00am
Bosch profimixx 46...I won it though and would hate to imagine what it costs to buy...but its the best machine I have ever owned in my life...does every thing..

pickles7, Apr 24, 10:36am
Not seen them in action,....micky_1... they are less than half the price of a similar Kenwood product, came in second, to the Kenwood, then others followed on.
That was U.K. prices. The article mentioned the wattage being right up there, 600 watts a strong motor, being a good point.
I like looking may have to seek one out.

klc1, Apr 24, 12:05pm
I have a Magimix compact, it does everything I need.Was not very expensive.

pickles7, Apr 24, 10:19pm
They are very handy, sort of thing you need on your bench so its right there, that way they get used .

rainrain1, Apr 24, 11:29pm
How come yours wasn't very expensive, as the compact I have was pretty pricey

kinna54, Apr 25, 8:12am
after nearly 30 yrs mine broke (bowl side piece). I was gutted as no way couldI afford a new one!By chance I saw 1 here on TM got it at an awesome price, and was so pleased with the trade. What brand was yours (mine was a sunbeam) as I have the motorand body still intact. Also try the op shops and sallies, worth a look.

klc1, Apr 25, 10:35am
It was on sale at the time.

rainrain1, Apr 25, 7:51pm
I'm really enjoying mine, it's brilliant

m_clakesideridg, Jun 20, 6:37am
It takes some courage to go against the tide of opinion but I'd like to offer my experience.I purchased a KitchenAid after much research and deliberation.I like it's powerful motor, no job too tough.But bowl has a very poor seal with liquids, as soon as liquids woosh up to the lid it's as if there is no lid at all, liquids must barely cover the blade.The small bowl has too much angle on it, the mayonaise splats to the side and won't spill back on to the blade.The two worst things were the lid cracking and eventually breaking around the rim, so won't clamp onto the bowl.In view of above comments our dishwasher is set at 50C, not too hot.The bowl is fine, as are the blade and rest of lid, no sign of heat stress.This happened within a year of using it.Later it toppled fell stork first from the shelf and due to the weight of the base it cracked and split the drive stork.It fell only 50cm onto a wooden floor.Not good enough for the money me thinks!

cookessentials, Jun 20, 7:59am
Interesting comment #41...have sold a number of these machines and never heard of such a problem.

m_clakesideridg, Jun 21, 6:37am
It takes some courage to go against the tide of opinion but I'd like to offer my experience.I purchased a KitchenAid after much research and deliberation.I like it's powerful motor, no job too tough.But bowl has a very poor seal with liquids, as soon as liquids woosh up to the lid it's as if there is no lid at all, liquids must barely cover the blade.The small bowl has too much angle on it, the mayonaise splats to the side and won't spill back on to the blade.The two worst things were the lid cracking and eventually breaking around the rim, so won't clamp onto the bowl.In view of above comments our dishwasher is set at 50C, not too hot.The bowl is fine, as are the blade and rest of lid, no sign of heat stress.This happened within a year of using it.Later it toppled fell stork first from the shelf and due to the weight of the base it cracked and split the drive stork.It fell only 50cm onto a wooden floor.Not good enough for the money me thinks!

cookessentials, Jun 21, 7:59am
Interesting comment #41.have sold a number of these machines and never heard of such a problem.

amyfromthenaki, Apr 22, 6:51am
I've read a few reviews, but I'm still a bit in the dark as to what I'll replace it with. It was a Kenwood FP185 with a 1.4L bowl capacity. I'm vegetarian, and I probably gave it one hell of a workout over the last 4-5 years. It's verging on the small side for us, really.

Does anyone have anything they'd recommend! I don't want to spend close to triple figures on a food processor, but it's something I use so often it can't be too cheaply made or small.

amyfromthenaki, Apr 22, 7:02am
Thanks :-) I hadn't heard of KitchenAid but Magimix seems high-priced. I wouldn't mind so much if I was saving up for one, but it's a biatch when something breaks down & you have to replace it quickly.

Good to know that they ARE actually worth the money, though - I was going to get another Kenwood, then saw some AWFUL reviews about the FP920.

cookessentials, Apr 22, 7:12am
What I like about the KitchenAid is that it three bowls.the smallest big enough for small jobs such as herbs,salsa,breadcrumbs etc. What is your budget roughly!

amyfromthenaki, Apr 22, 7:28am
Well. I thought the $400 one I saw was enough! But if it's good and it's going to last for years, I can justify spending more. The thing is, NO appliance seems to last more than a few years now, especially ones used every day. I spent about $180 on this one on TM, and it got a lot of use over 4-5 years.

duckmoon, Apr 22, 8:30am
when my 20 year old food processor died,
I purchased a Kenwood - I am enjoying it.

Got it for around $220 - Briscoes sale
It came with a blender -which annoyed me - I already have a blender.

amyfromthenaki, Apr 22, 8:54am
Thanks Duckmoon. I've been very happy with my Kenwood - it just irritates me that I want a bigger model, yet the bigger model has such AWFUL reviews, even from people who like Kenwood! Dunno. I don't need anything fancy, I mainly just want to grate and chop, I just need something that does those things reliably and on a large scale.

elliehen, Apr 22, 9:38am
Have you looked at current Trade Me listings!

amyfromthenaki, Apr 22, 10:15am
There's not much on there at the moment. There are a hell of a lot of used ones at a hell of a price, and then others at around $700-800.