My food processor goes no more :-(

Page 1 / 3
amyfromthenaki, Apr 22, 6:51am
I've read a few reviews, but I'm still a bit in the dark as to what I'll replace it with. It was a Kenwood FP185 with a 1.4L bowl capacity. I'm vegetarian, and I probably gave it one hell of a workout over the last 4-5 years. It's verging on the small side for us, really.

Does anyone have anything they'd recommend? I don't want to spend close to triple figures on a food processor, but it's something I use so often it can't be too cheaply made or small.

cookessentials, Apr 22, 6:59am
Two good ones would be either KitchenAid or Magimix

amyfromthenaki, Apr 22, 7:02am
Thanks :-) I hadn't heard of KitchenAid but Magimix seems high-priced. I wouldn't mind so much if I was saving up for one, but it's a biatch when something breaks down & you have to replace it quickly.

Good to know that they ARE actually worth the money, though - I was going to get another Kenwood, then saw some AWFUL reviews about the FP920.

cookessentials, Apr 22, 7:12am
What I like about the KitchenAid is that it three bowls...the smallest big enough for small jobs such as herbs,salsa,breadcrumbs etc. What is your budget roughly?

amyfromthenaki, Apr 22, 7:28am
Well... I thought the $400 one I saw was enough! But if it's good and it's going to last for years, I can justify spending more. The thing is, NO appliance seems to last more than a few years now, especially ones used every day. I spent about $180 on this one on TM, and it got a lot of use over 4-5 years.

duckmoon, Apr 22, 8:30am
when my 20 year old food processor died,
I purchased a Kenwood - I am enjoying it...

Got it for around $220 - Briscoes sale
It came with a blender -which annoyed me - I already have a blender...

amyfromthenaki, Apr 22, 8:54am
Thanks Duckmoon. I've been very happy with my Kenwood - it just irritates me that I want a bigger model, yet the bigger model has such AWFUL reviews, even from people who like Kenwood! Dunno... I don't need anything fancy, I mainly just want to grate and chop, I just need something that does those things reliably and on a large scale.

elliehen, Apr 22, 9:38am
Have you looked at current Trade Me listings?

amyfromthenaki, Apr 22, 10:15am
There's not much on there at the moment. There are a hell of a lot of used ones at a hell of a price, and then others at around $700-800.

lythande1, Apr 22, 7:14pm

rainrain1, Apr 22, 7:54pm
I note that some ning nong said they put their mixer parts in the dishwasher.That my friends is a STOOPID thing to do if you want your beautiful mixer to last you well. Also your good knives... tsk tsk tsk naughty naughty

cookessentials, Apr 22, 10:19pm
absolutley. I get it here all the time with people putting very expensive knives in the dish washer. I also had acustomer who bring backa very expensive knife with thetip broken off saying 'that shouldnt happen to an expensive knife" when i asked how it happened, she replied that she had used the tip to prize off the hard knobby root end from a whole garlic bulb!!! people use their cookware as tools and then they wonder why they break!

cookessentials, Apr 22, 10:22pm
I have had a couple of customers wanting spare parts for their magimix shredder blades. They have a plastic part that seems to constantly shear off.

pickles7, Apr 22, 10:34pm
Not a good look is it.
I won't go past Kenwood myself, for home use.
I have most attachments for my Kenwood mixer. I also have a Kenwoodfood processor and I never have problems with them. I think some people over tax the machine they use at times, no matter what they use.
My Husband will not let me put a Hobart, in the corner of my kitchen. He knows, along side the Hobart, a pastry break, and the list goes on. lol

katalin2, Apr 22, 10:39pm
I love my Magimix- use it every day with no problems. Cafes and restaurants use Magimix too. I am one of the "ning nongs" who puts the mixre parts in the dishwasher and have done so for years- no ill effects. I have had other brands of food processors in the past and there is no comparison to the pleasure of having a processor that does not struggle or stall with pretty well everything I use it for. A "couple of customers wanting parts for their magimix" does not correlate to "parts that constantly shear off". Consumer has consistently come up with Magimix as one of their recommended brands after extensive testing.

davidt4, Apr 22, 10:51pm
I'm really surprised by those poor reviews of the Magimix.I've owned that model for about five years and wash all of the parts in the dishwasher.I've had no problems at all.My previous Magimix lasted me about 15 years and I eventually gave it away because I wanted a bigger one.

cookessentials, Apr 22, 11:07pm
Putting the plastic bowls of any mixer into a dishwasher makes the plastic very brittle over time. parts do constantly shear off...I deal with a number of cafe's who have this problem. i have had a couple of customers wanting parts and only a couple, because I dont sell magimix,but they are regular customerds and I can get the parts for them if required. Cafe's and restaurants also use KitchenAid and I have yet to get any requests for replacement parts for any of their machines which i do sell and have sold quite a number of. The thing with Kenwood is that they are no longer made the way they were. They have alot of plastic parts and I get many a customer who changes over from Kenwood to Kitchenaid .

pickles7, Apr 22, 11:08pm
With all the prepping of food done, in our Restaurant's and Bakery, I have never had, or seen, the tip of a knife snap off. I hope it did not find its way into there food. Something as serious as that, should never happen, in any kitchen.
Did you send the knife back to the manufacturers?? cooks

pickles7, Apr 22, 11:15pm
The Kenwood mixer, whisks etc, has a nut to adjust the height, so they do not scrape on the bottom of the bowl. easy as to find. A great feature, saves the beaters from wearing down the plastic bowls.

pickles7, Apr 23, 6:44am
I found this bit of information in the manual for, Kenwood mixers.

sandhu, Apr 23, 6:57am
where is that nut you are talking aboutpickles7?

pickles7, Apr 23, 6:59am
on the k beater, whisk and hook them selves, I will go look for a pic for you so you can see. Have you got a problem??

pickles7, Apr 23, 7:11am
Harder to find than I thought. Have a look at the part that goes into the mixer, you will see a nut, that is what needs adjusting

sandhu, Apr 23, 7:16am
Oh I have found it..Cheers you are very helpfull Pickles7

pickles7, Apr 23, 7:24am
no problemI have seen a bowl that was munted. The problem was the whisk was too low, and it wore all the plastic off the bottom of the bowl.