Recipe books... ones you actually use!

Page 1 / 6
dippychik, Apr 20, 7:00am
Ok, so I have a love of recipe books, but often end up buying them because they look great/have a couple of good recipes/i like the author etc etc and not getting as much use as I should out of them, so i've made a vow to try and buy some useful ones. What are your tried and true books that you find yourself going back to time and time again for recipes from?

lx4000, Apr 20, 7:06am
Here is my bestest recipe book!!

veejay13, Apr 20, 7:07am
Edmonds. I've got one printed in 2005, just called Edmonds Cookery Book. I bought it in New World about 3 years ago - it has 250 pages and is a lot more comprehensive than any previous Edmonds book I have owned.Only cost somewhere about $10 as well!

lx4000, Apr 20, 7:08am
Like you, I hate buying them and only using 1 recipe or two!! I like here as ppl give you ideas and hints and whats best:)

I save them into a doc and write them out in a cookbook:)

loopydog, Apr 20, 7:08am
I've just started buying old recipe books from the op shop - mostly easy recipes and the ingredients are usually what I have in my cupboard (unlike some recent cookbooks)!

davidt4, Apr 20, 7:13am
Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion is a wonderful reference work.If I owned only one cookery book (instead several hundred) that would be my choice.

jaydan1, Apr 20, 7:17am
I buy the Monthly Recipe+ Magazines and use them often, they are $4 and have so many great ideas ( not to mention delicious recipes) for Families trying to watch their food budget.

jessie981, Apr 20, 7:25am
Here, Edmonds(oldie) & Aunt Daisy

elliehen, Apr 20, 7:28am
As a bibliophile, I look at a cookbook as any other book and if I want to let it sit on my shelf as a reading only book, that's fine.Not all cookbooks have to be used to be enjoyed, and often it's just one or two recipes from a book that I will actually try.

greerg, Apr 20, 7:36am
I just like them as books too but I have cooked quite a few things from Annabel Langbein's books and some have become staples.While the boys are home I am using the Speight's cookbook quite a bit as the recipes in it are favourites of theirs.

kabbo, Apr 20, 8:02am
I too have stacks and stacks of recipe books, some never used lol.
but my favourites i go to all the time are:
Edmonds Cook book (1975)
Alison Holsts (dunno what it's called but the red hard cover one)
AWW Dinner Party Cookbook.

lilyfield, Apr 20, 8:19am
none -since auntie google stepped into my life

dorisday, Apr 20, 10:07am
Sophie Grays cook books are my most often used, I have only come accross 1reciepe(of probably 20+ that i use ) that just does not seem to want to work.

nzl99, Apr 20, 10:14am
I'm a recipe book addict.Annabels book is being used.And my Cuisine magazines get used too.

dorisday, Apr 20, 10:17am
bought my daughter annabels book and i keep pinching it back!

owl32, Apr 20, 10:17am
sophie gray- stunning food from small change. (best budget recipes ever)
edmonds cookbook. (for all things everybody should have)
jamie oliver 's- ministry of food. (the most basic of books with great instructions and photos )
jessica seinfield - deceptively delisious(meals with pureed vegs and fruits hidden)
alison holsts - chocolate book(baking)

and my recipe folder, with recipes from mags,people,newspapaer and internet.

And that it. I have no others, nor a need for any others.

southerngurl, Apr 20, 10:18am
i found a diabetic dessert cookbook and once i get a coupe of days off im gonna start attacking it, but i have 2 of Annabel's books and im experimenting

jcprotea, Apr 20, 10:53am
I have a couple of actual cookbooks like my Edmonds and two small Jewish Vegetarian ones. The other one is a clear file full of recipes I know that are favourites and I know that work. :)

piquant, Apr 20, 11:00am
The Australian Womans Weekly cookbooks. Have lots of them and they are the ones I consistently go to. Easy to use and the meals turn out exactly as the pics show. Anything for the most basic to dinner party menus. Excellent.

kinna54, Apr 20, 11:12am
Edmonds, old and new versions. Alison Holst, Women's weekly, (have an old one from Tui Flower's days.) I do try recipes posted on here, and have had great results, although I am a bit dubious about trying some of the ones on website links, I prefer to try ones that people have actually made and post as tried and true.
I also have a clearfile jcprotea, and awhile ago I sat down and made up booklets of the family favourites passed down from generations and passed these on to my daughters in law. (you lucky people have also had some of them as well as all the old "handy hints and cleaning methods") posted on here from time to time.

bearskin, Apr 21, 12:24am
Delia Smith Complete Cookery
Moro - Sam & Sam Clark
How to Eat - Nigella
Free Range Cook - Annabelle
& those little fat books called "Hot Food" "Small Food" etc - we have 4 and they are excellent.

ppppaula, Apr 21, 7:12am
I love seeing which books are other peoples favourites esp as everyone has different tastes. I used to have a huge collection but have culled to a few favourite cooks.

My 2 favourites are both by Bill Granger - Every Day and Simply Bill. They never fail me when I am lacking in inspiration. They are great for every day family meals and as well as for cooking for guests. For baking, I love the Treasury of NZ Baking and the old Junior Cooks - re the latter, I am biased as they were written by my mother when I was little. I also subscribe to the Donna Hay magazine and cook from them regularly, plus I love her styling ideas for special occasions. Plus I have the trusty old torn out from magazines pile of recipes in a box!

I am currently on a hunt for a reliable Asian cookbook that covers Japanese, Chinese and Malaysian. They all seem to have too few recipes from each region....I'd be grateful for any recommendations!

alebix, Apr 21, 7:14am
Edmonds cookbook
and one I made up of recipes I printed off the net.

micky_1, Apr 21, 7:42am
my darling grandmothers hand written book which includes alot ofmy great gans recipes too, my grandmother passed away last year at the age of 87 so it is very very treasured .

chinju, Apr 21, 7:57am
Julia, Doubleday, Morrocan Bible, anything by Carloccio, Fulton's Food and Cookery. All bullet-proof