Recipe books... ones you actually use!

Page 6 / 6
daisyhill, Sep 22, 4:58am
The River Cottage one! That is a great book. All the recipes are vegetarian but they don't try to replace meat - they just render it unnecessary. I am not vegetarian and have no desire to be, but this is one of the most-used cookbooks in our house at the moment.

My new favourite cookbook is The Takeaway Secret, by Kenny McGovern - it teaches you how to recreate takeaway meals at home (only without the addition of ingredients that you would probably not want to eat if you knew they were in there, like MSG!). We had people round for dinner last night and I made chicken korma, vegetable curry, saffron rice, raita, and a huge basket of naan bread. Total cost for ingredients to serve eight people can't have been more than $30, if that, and it was easily as good as what we could buy from a takeaway.

This morning I had homemade "egg mcMuffin" for breakfast, made in the comfort of my own home and after 10.30am, and just like the real thing. Wonderful! :D

racheee, Sep 22, 5:03am
Jamie Oliver's 30 Minute Meals and Jamie Does are my absolute favourites!Just got Ministry of Food, and looking forward to his new 15 Minute Meals one coming out next week!He is so bloody good! I think I will eventually get all of his cookbooks.

carlosjackal, Sep 22, 5:09am
Annabel Langbein's The Free Range Cook, Free Range in The City (and soon Simple Pleasures!). Also a great fan of Jo Seagar's cookbooks. I also refer to a couple of Ruth Pretty Cookbooks I have from time to time.

sossie1, Sep 22, 5:10am
I use the internet now, and I have various notebooks with fave recipes in