Recipe books... ones you actually use!

Page 5 / 6
sarahb5, Apr 27, 12:09am
I have a few of the AWW ones that I use for different things - for most basics I love my Reader's Digest Cookery Year even though it's written for the Northern Hemisphere so the monthly recommendations are out of sync with us.Occasionally use Edmonds - more often the junior one - and Nigella's Christmas but I love to read that one as well as use it!Latest addition has been Marian Keyes baking book (forget the name off hand) but it is a good read - hasn't been used yet though/

miri_s, Apr 27, 3:30am
Both Slater and Ottolenghi have weekly columns and recipes on the Guardian's site, if you're interested :-)

jimmy2102, Apr 27, 5:42am
Great thanks for thae tip miri-s

tommydog, Apr 27, 7:05am
I with you huge fan of Bill Granger his recipes always work out failsafe.I love also his Feed Me Now and got his Best of Bill Granger for a xmas present.Not so fussed on Annabel as a few of her recipes I've tried haven't always worked out.Love Cusines Mag and ABC Delicious.Delia Smith is another reliable book I also refer to alot.

books4nz, Apr 27, 7:30am
Me too - tried and true recipes handed down through generations of families.

A challenge to all - make something new out of a cookbook you don't often use, once a week - share the recipes in a new thread if you want.

cottagerose, Apr 27, 8:03am
Which one did you buy!

dlmckay, Apr 27, 8:32am
Family Circle's Cooking - a Commonsense Guide
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooking-Commonsense-Guide-Murdoch-Books/dp/0864115024 I use this book often, choosing the week's meals out of it and shopping accordingly.Good value, quality no fuss meals that kids eat and don't require 3 Michelin stars to cook. I bought that book after I felt I'd outgrown Cooking for Blokes :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooking-Blokes-Duncan-Anderson/dp/0751515639/ref=sr_1_1!ie=UTF8&qid=1303893086&sr=1-1
Another simple, easy to understand book that even has a recipe for boiled egg.Exactly what the departing teenager in your home needs to have given to them.

lyl_guy, Apr 27, 9:50am
I'm a cookbook fanatic. amazon must love me, lol!The one's I most use seem to be my Claudia Roden books (I have three of them).Donna Hay is great too, and my AWW books "Cook" and "Kitchen" (both are like big bibles) are well used too!Will take pics over the weekend of my collection. I have some gorgeous ones!And like elliehen, sometimes they're just there to be read, lol.

lillybelle1, Apr 27, 10:06am
Another vote for Sophie Gray - destitute gourmet, "Delicious" this book isvery user friendly,the portion sizes are generous, meals are always tasty, and she gives tips on how to re-use leftovers.Worth every cent.

unknowndisorder, Apr 28, 10:34am
Just a quick bump for someone looking for a book for mother's day.

megsnz1, Apr 29, 3:13am
Sophie Gray - Destitute Gourment AGAIN!Yes, she hasthe best cafe style recipes from pantry items.I got rid of all my other cookbooks, as her recipes are sure fire/never fail. I was sick of beautiful cookbooks but recipes with expensive ingredients that failed! Can't recommend her enough.

mber2, Apr 29, 3:51am
Im a op shop shopper and i buy recipe books there as well, the other day while i was in there a lady came in with 3 big boxes of receipe books and i was very lucky that i got the lot for $6, and some are pretty old but all in great order, so i dont think i would need any more for a while

bambi58, May 1, 5:14am
My favourite cook book! New Zealand Woman's Institute Cook Book. It's been compiled by people who really know how to cook & bake! Get one through any Institute or google NZWI & email for one. I can't remember how much they are now, but got mine 25 years ago & it's still going strong.
I use my old Edmonds cook book too, another tried & true.
Happy cooking!

lynja, May 1, 5:37am
From my hundreds of cook books I tend to use the local kindy one, and afewother community based type books, edmonds, Jo Segar, Alison Holst (big red one) plus I always keep her small red microwave book handy for sauces and vegetable times in the microwave. I always write next to recipes my opinion and love finding second hand books which have other peoples comments in them. I LOVE COOKBOOKS

olwen, May 1, 6:57am
I like second hand cookbooks that have been published by an organisation or group.Prized favourites include the Wellington greek community and a Taraniki one from the oil community

darlingmole, May 2, 8:00am
I get the most amazing recipes from this TM recipe thread site (todays gem was carrot cake - the entire family has fallen in love with me and it!)Otherwise I can't go past Alison Holsts "meals without meat", "weightwatchers one pot cooking" and of course my darling (departed) mothers hand written book.There is just SOMEthing about Mum's cooking - the secret ingredient being love I'm sure . just tastes so utterly devine

tania58, Aug 2, 7:11am
I have at least 100 cookbooks even after selling some I don't like so much! Some recipes I will never make but like some, I just read them like people read a novel and Amazon love me as well buying american cookbooks from cooks I saw watching the food network in America and Canada (you'd think I would have better things to do when travelling than watching the USA or Canada food network ha!)

Too many favourites to mention but for the last while I have used the Recipes+ magazine more than anything.I have so many tags of "things to try" in my cook books I'd have to live until 500 years old to try them all

tania58, Aug 2, 7:12am
plus 3 large eastlite folders full of recipes from here!

thuntzster, Aug 2, 7:39am
My best recipes have all come from this site. Thanks people

tehenga288, Aug 2, 9:49am
Like others I get quite a few recipes from here but I still love all my recipe books. Some are just for reading , others like Edmonds and Jo Seagar I use more often and I also have my own folders and notebook. These days now it's just me I don't buy so many recipe books but I don't get rid of any - I did that a few years back and I've regretted it ever since.

fifie, Aug 2, 10:33am
I have heaps of recipe books, after 45yrs of married life and they still give them to me lol The only ones i really use is my old Edmonds Book occasionally, and a written one i have kept with all the grandma's old favourites, the rest of my recipes usually comefrom here.

2young1, Aug 3, 12:48am
edmonds is my most used book.

biggles45, Aug 3, 1:12am
I also have heaps. Annabel Langbein's (sp) have great recipes, but use a few quite expensive ingredients. Jo Seagar's books are awesome, simple, quick recipes that look and taste good, using mostly ingredients that most people would have in the pantry. I also have a very old Mrs Beeton's cookbook that is great for basic recipes, and Delia Smith's recipes are good.I use her recipe for bread all the time.

daisyhill, Aug 7, 12:06pm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jamies-Ministry-Food-Anyone-Learn/dp/0718148622/ref=sr_1_1!s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344341135&sr=1-1 This is my favourite too. I have lots of lovely recipe books but this is the one that transformed my cooking from bland to delicious. I also learned how to use herbs and spices thanks to this book, as I learned to trust Jamie's recipes rather than eliminating the ingredients that I thought smelled funny or didn't appeal on sight :-)

Second favourite is my trusty old Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook, which covers the basics for every occasion. It's not exciting but it's very practical!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mary-Berrys-Complete-Cookbook-Berry/dp/1405370955/ref=sr_1_1!ie=UTF8&qid=1344341100&sr=8-1

If I'm doing any proper baking I usually head for Nigella Lawson's Domestic Goddess.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Be-Domestic-Goddess-Comfort/dp/0701168889/ref=sr_1_1!s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344341172&sr=1-1

ruby19, Aug 7, 8:09pm
I have typed my recipes out and placed in folders, but the recipes I use for day to day come from Simon &Alison Holst, vegetarian books, Celia Brooks Brown, also a vegetarian author.
I am lucky my mum in the UK, subscribes me to bbc good food mag which I also use alot.
Books I would love to get are Hugh W F, veg, and another by manu simone, medeterrean (sp on both name and title!), also would like the ottolengi. These are all veggie books:-)