Recipe books... ones you actually use!

Page 2 / 6
tixy, Apr 21, 8:19am
Nigel Slater makes my skirt fly up - his Kitchen Diaries is a favourite.

falcon-hell, Apr 21, 8:25am
i'd like a few of his books too,i have alison holst,edmonds,joe seager that i do put to good use.

aktow, Apr 21, 6:43pm
escoffier le guide culinaire

L'Art CulinairePellaprat cookbook

toadfish, Apr 21, 6:56pm
Me too... I very rarely open a recipe book... but often try something I see on here.

lythande1, Apr 21, 7:21pm
I have the Kitchen Wizz from ages and ages ago.
Womans Weekly one, not a specific one, just a bunch of meals using all sorts, some cakes etc but not much cause I hate cookbooks full of cakes and desserts.
I also have a Chicken one, Lamb and Beef one, Mince one, use those when not feeling too inspired. And a Readers Digest one called the Kitchen Handbook. Battered and worn now. It's not so much recipes in that although it does have them, but it has all sorts of info on all sorts of food items and ingredients, techniques, what you use them for, and so on. Kind of like an Elton Brown program in book form.

smiggles15, Apr 21, 9:34pm
Sophie gray is great, but more often than not I check out www.healthyfood.co.nz (website from the popular magazine) or www.foodinaminute.co.nz. Another thing I do is take photos with my cellphone of recipes that I come across in magazines (in waiting rooms, friends places etc), then you can either email them to yourself of type them up.

davidt4, Apr 21, 9:41pm
Charmaine Solomon's The Complete Asian Cookbook is the one I use most often out of my dozens of books about Asian food.I think it's out of print, but there are always copies in second-hand bookshops, also Amazon and Book Depository.My other standby is Neil Perry's Harmony and Balance, which doesn't cover Japan but has wonderful S E Asian food.

n00dle, Apr 21, 10:20pm
These days, I only look at NZ cookbooks (and sometimes Australian).I've found that the imperial measurements are awkward to get my head around, and half the time I can't find an ingredient in the recipe.I regularly use recipes from the Healthy Food Guide.The Australian Institute of Sports (AIS) also put out some good books.

cottagerose, Apr 21, 10:56pm
Simon and Alison Holst 100 crockpot cook book (the red one),google and Trademe recipes

dippychik, Apr 21, 11:15pm
Some great ideas thanks (keep them coming) and also a lot of inspiration to go back to cookbooks I havent used in quite a while (the Alison Holsts, Sophie Grays and good ol' Edmonds).

muppet65, Apr 21, 11:51pm
the best book in the whole cooking world is jamie olivers ....Jamies Ministry of Food

rosathemad, Apr 22, 12:35am
Google is really my most-used tool - I even converted my old, broken-hinged laptop into a wall-mounted kitchen computer! But I do love Donna Hay's books for special meal inspiration - she has lots of recipes that are just special enough to seem flash without being too difficult to prepare, and even better, every recipe has a photo.

I also think Jamie's Ministry of Food is great for the basics - getting a grip on great chilli con carne and how to make your roast meals good and make proper gravy.

jayimu, Apr 22, 12:48am
The trusty old Edmonds and Nigella Express.

carriebradshaw, Apr 22, 12:57am
Have quite a few Donna Hay which I always use.also Love my Bill Granger ones.Recently have been using Rachel Allens Cooking at home.

sarahb5, Apr 22, 1:43am
The one I use most is The Cookery Year - a Readers Digest one that my dad bought me - it has all the basics and then some but I love cookery books and don't care whether I use one or 100 recipes from them.I use Edmonds sometimes, Edmonds Junior for kids favourite baking, Dairy Cookbook from the UK that my mum sent me, a few AWW ones - each recipe book has some favourites in it so I do use most of them

iriegirl, Apr 22, 2:14am
I have the Reader's Digest one aswell! And agree completely about it being a really good reference book, in fact I've just got a copy for a friends young daughter who's a budding cook! My favourite's are anything by Ainsley Harriot because of the West Indian influence and my favourite Indian cook Madhur Jaffrey

stevee6, Apr 22, 4:36am
Google is fantastic, but you have to know what you're looking for.
For baking, the two 'Ladies a Plate' volumes are fantastic, along with a few old favourites gleaned from friends or the early Edmond's cookbook(the new ones have got Hokey Pokey biscuits so wrong!!).

sew.obsessed, Apr 22, 4:54am
My favourite is Sophie Gray - Stunning food from small change. So much so that I bought one each for my three sons!! I also get and use, recipes from this message board:-)

jed, Apr 22, 4:56am
x1
It would have to be Jo Seager - no doubt about it:)

sclaredy_cat, Apr 22, 5:24am
. I have my grandmothers book too. I made a beeline for it when she went into a home and we cleared her house out. I was terrified it might have already gone to the sallies! It is so cool to reminisce about things I remember her making, as well as her handwritten notes; 'Gordon's favorite' etc (my grandad) I'm not sure anyone understood why I wanted that book so badly but it was the only thing I wanted from their whole house :)

sclaredy_cat, Apr 22, 5:28am
Oh and my other favourites are (of course) good old Edmonds, Alison holst, and Richard Till. I use his books all the time, good unpretentious everyday recipes , using things everyone has in the pantry. Plus I love his goofiness!

dippychik, Apr 22, 5:53am
I love these too... my mother has books full of comments like "v good", or "add more milk", "don't bother - it's revolting", or my favourite is when she refers herself to recipes in other books that are better!

ppppaula, Apr 22, 6:54am
Fab - thanks for the tip. Will hunt a copy down!

nickyd, Apr 22, 9:48pm
Another vote for the Sophie Gray books - I think I have about 4 of them.Also like Annabel Langbein - but yes, more and more we tend to use websites, especially when looking for something specific - we especially like theones with ratings and comments like BBC good food, or Taste.com.au, or All recipes.com - have had some great recipes from those..

daleaway, Apr 23, 1:17am
A Fruit Cookbook by Gilian Painter. A really sensible New Zealand cookbook that has been around for a long time.
Ideal for dealing to those produce gluts we get in season, and lovely healthy recipes (quite often, though the times I get asked for the recipe it is usually for her cakes and puddings).